Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 27 2018 16:19

Bert & Ernie love a bit of rough and tumble when they’re running about the park, a few weeks ago Bert clipped Ernie whilst they were at full pelt and Ernie went a**e over t*t.

The next day he had slight limp which I thought would just disappear, he’s had it for 3 weeks now so I decided to research home treatments.

I found a recipe which is not only a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps prevent cancer.

You mix organic turmeric, organic black pepper, water and organic coconut oil, heat it up then put it in a jar then store in the fridge. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the tincture with each meal (I feed B&E twice a day).

Been using it for 3 days and Ernie’s limp has gone!

I am very pleased indeed, the ingredients cost about £30 from Amazon, this recipe makes a s**t load and the recommendation is to only keep it for 2 weeks so I am going to try halving the amounts next time.

I’ll post the recipe when I get home later
Wine for my men, we ride at dawn

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

Post by Kev Berry » Fri Apr 27 2018 19:34

Ben wrote:
Bert & Ernie love a bit of rough and tumble when they’re running about the park, a few weeks ago Bert clipped Ernie whilst they were at full pelt and Ernie went a**e over t*t.

The next day he had slight limp which I thought would just disappear, he’s had it for 3 weeks now so I decided to research home treatments.

I found a recipe which is not only a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps prevent cancer.

You mix organic turmeric, organic black pepper, water and organic coconut oil, heat it up then put it in a jar then store in the fridge. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the tincture with each meal (I feed B&E twice a day).

I am very pleased indeed, the ingredients cost about £30 from Amazon, this recipe makes a s**t load and the recommendation is to only keep it for 2 weeks so I am going to try halving the amounts next time.

be about £20 cheaper at least if you just got the stuff from Tesco's---might be a bit less curcumin in the turmeric than organic---just give him a bit more.

if he was limping for 3 weeks there may be underlying problems Ben and the anti inflammatory stuff might be hiding it, dogs have a big pain threshold and are good at not showing pain.

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sat Apr 28 2018 08:21

Kev Berry wrote:
Ben wrote:

be about £20 cheaper at least if you just got the stuff from Tesco's---might be a bit less curcumin in the turmeric than organic---just give him a bit more.

if he was limping for 3 weeks there may be underlying problems Ben and the anti inflammatory stuff might be hiding it, dogs have a big pain threshold and are good at not showing pain.
I tend to use the... erm...now what they called...erm ...ah yes, the vets!

May cost a few quid more than jungle medicine but its all part of being a responsible dog owner!
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Apr 28 2018 08:39

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Ben wrote:

May cost a few quid more than jungle medicine but its all part of being a responsible dog owner!
if the jungle medicines work Alan I'm all for it---problem is dogs cant talk and they have a high pain threshold. No use running to the vets every time they bang themselves, but as in Bens case of his dog still limping 3 weeks later without improvement I would have gone to the vets. Just like I would have gone to the docs if I hadn't stopped limping after a couple of days after a tumble

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sun Apr 29 2018 10:55

Kev Berry wrote:
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Ben wrote:

if the jungle medicines work Alan I'm all for it---problem is dogs cant talk and they have a high pain threshold. No use running to the vets every time they bang themselves, but as in Bens case of his dog still limping 3 weeks later without improvement I would have gone to the vets. Just like I would have gone to the docs if I hadn't stopped limping after a couple of days after a tumble
If a dog picks a limp up I would initially reduce the exercise to an appropriate level by keeping it on a lead, if after a week or so it hadn't improved or got worse it would be down the vets for sure.
Being a pet owner involves spending money and is why I insure my pets, you know it makes sense Rodders!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

tigger996
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tigger996 » Sun Apr 29 2018 15:17

Golden Paste is the name generally used.

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Apr 30 2018 11:22

The jungle meds are good in some case....and in some case over the counter human meds are ok for dogs....
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Apr 30 2018 12:25

Jason Skilton wrote:
The jungle meds are good in some case....and in some case over the counter human meds are ok for dogs....
theres a lot of over the counter meds will kill your dog---be careful

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Apr 30 2018 14:39

Thats why I said some Kev :-)

PAC14 Press Officer

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Mon Apr 30 2018 18:24

Kev Berry wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
theres a lot of over the counter meds will kill your dog---be careful
Again its why you should go to the vets!
Trying to save a few quid on a life long friend??? don't make sense!

Cheers Alan

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Fri May 04 2018 14:26

The vets told me the correct over counter meds to get, do you worry Al.

PAC14 Press Officer

royboy
Captain
Captain

Post by royboy » Fri May 11 2018 19:18

My Lab/Pointer X (Royboy) was showing signs of a limp on his front shoulders for a month or 2 when he was 13/14 yrs .
Tried various solutions and concoctions , nothing worked until a dog breeder (Springers only) suggested the following .

Gloucosomine tablets that women take for osteoporosis .
I broke up a half a tab into his food each evening and within 4/5 days he was running around like a mad one!

Tablets available from Holland & Barrett or any health supplement shops.

Sadly I lost him when he was 16 , but he had a good innings and he was a rescue dog to boot!
Pat

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Sat May 12 2018 12:21

royboy wrote:
My Lab/Pointer X (Royboy) was showing signs of a limp on his front shoulders for a month or 2 when he was 13/14 yrs .
Tried various solutions and concoctions , nothing worked until a dog breeder (Springers only) suggested the following .

Gloucosomine tablets that women take for osteoporosis .
I broke up a half a tab into his food each evening and within 4/5 days he was running around like a mad one!

Tablets available from Holland & Barrett or any health supplement shops.

Sadly I lost him when he was 16 , but he had a good innings and he was a rescue dog to boot!
Pat
Glucosamine works better with chondroitin. Glucosamine regulates the synthesis of collagen in cartilage and may provide some mild anti-inflammatory relief, chondroitin sulphate slows destructive enzymes in joint fluid and cartilage. Combined they will help to regenerate any cartilage damage.
The normal glucosamine sulphate dose is 20 mg/lb of body weight or one 500 mg tablet per 25 pounds of body weight. If dog has bad arthritis you may have to up it a bit. Don't use the cheap tablets, get the HCI ones not the 2KCL or NaCI
Best tablets have 500mg Glucosamine and 400mg chondroitin. In some dogs it may take a while to see improvement, a lot depends on their condition.

morph
Captain
Captain

Post by morph » Wed May 16 2018 09:31

My youngish (7 years) dog kept getting a stiff rear leg after getting up from a sleep.

Vet recommended this:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Yumove-Joint-S ... ogs/c2299/

Works out about 12p a tablet per day, not exactly gonna break the bank.

Can confirm it works as well.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Kev Berry » Wed May 16 2018 18:53

Morph read the ingredients--- same as Glucosamine and chondroitin tablets