Deterring foxes from the garden

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Deterring foxes from the garden

Post by Cyprio »

72EC2ACF-EE92-440D-B2ED-A297FDB0F2AA.png
We have a pair of these evil Basil’s coming into our garden upsetting our aviaries and we suspect
Making a dent in our hedgehog population.
Without the obvious ”BOOM BOOM” :shoot: :laughs:

Has anyone found any successful methods. :shrug:
We live in a small village surrounded by wheat but this is the first time in 25 years we have been pestered by them.
Please post sensible reply’s as some ❄️‘S enter this part of the pit, :roll:
But welcome any other methods via pm if you think the ❄️‘S might take offence :thumbs: :laughs:

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Re: Deterring foxes from the garden

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Jack Russell’s
DANCES WAE PIKE
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

RAB-HENDO wrote: Mon Jun 17 2019 19:02 -
Jack Russell’s
I’ll pop into dogs trust tomoz sale or return if 🦊 not deterred after a week :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Poison the c***s
DANCES WAE PIKE
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Cage trap em n take em down to London, they love em down there🤣 🤣 I’ve gone off killing stuff in recent years so I’d probs opt for a cage trap but each to their own, good luck getting rid 👍
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Danoutdoors wrote: Mon Jun 17 2019 20:00 -
Cage trap em n take em down to London, they love em down there🤣 🤣 I’ve gone off killing stuff in recent years so I’d probs opt for a cage trap but each to their own, good luck getting rid 👍

Thanks Dan. They probably hitched a ride with us from London as we commute there for work,
Like the humans in the city our 70 mile gap may not be far enough once over populated :laughs:

Might have a word with :lumby: no not him our village :leighton:(shepherd) tomorrow , as I have seen a converted
L200 driving after dark in the winter the two guys standing in the back are over :guns: for rabbits
Andy Carpenter
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Jun 17 2019 20:26 -
Danoutdoors wrote: Mon Jun 17 2019 20:00 -

Thanks Dan. They probably hitched a ride with us from London as we commute there for work,
Like the humans in the city our 70 mile gap may not be far enough once over populated :laughs:

Might have a word with :lumby: no not him our village :leighton:(shepherd) tomorrow , as I have seen a converted
L200 driving after dark in the winter the two guys standing in the back are over :guns: for rabbits
Well you’ll get a good clean kill from one of them cannons, good luck 👍
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I get them Coming into my garden from the Moor across the road they don't really bother me unless they s**t on my grass. One thing I've noticed is when you turn on the light they take off pretty quick. Maybe fitting a auto security light will discourage them. ❓
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Get a dog, staffy, Russell, border, patterdale------all hate foxes with a vengeance
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Your foxes are probably a litter of cubs that have taken up residence somewhere close by, the recent rains may have driven them in. Your pic shows a narrow muzzel, often indicative of a juvenile.

During summer they (cubs) wont travel far for food so they are almost certainly camped up within a mile of your garden, they will remain until they are disturbed.
Because of the heavy rain I would expect them to be under someone's shed or in a barn or rick of bales. When everything dries up they will move into the wheat or, of you have r4pe and old bale hides used for shooting pigeons in the winter and left behind when spring arrived. (out of 5 bale hides in a 90acre r4pe field one had a family of badgers another a litter of cubs.

First I would ask around the village, someone will probably know where they are, if not walk the lanes looking for their runs, foxes produce a narrow path, a badger track is like someones dragged a sack of potatoes along. Less than a days investigation and you will track them down, when you do either use 4x4" pieces of newspaper soaked in creosote or have a good pee.

The creosote trick will also keep them using whatever entrance they use into you garden, but if something is really attracting them (your birds probably) they will always find another route and eventually get into or onto your aviary.
The other option is a mains Energiser powering an electic electric fence of 3 wires set 4" apart, cost you around £150-200 to set-up but they never wear out.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Lurchers, mine hate reynard with a passion
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Thanks for the input :thumbs:
As we have a Rottie I'm not going to tie him to a post in the back garden just yet :laughs:
But I'm going to try using his 💩 As a deterrent around our boundaries in the back garden
As from what I have been reading strong smells seem to move them on.

If that fails a bottle of whiskey should remove them for good. :clap:

Not to pour on the garden :laughs: but a thank you to the farmer :cheers:
Andy Carpenter
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Cyprio wrote: Tue Jun 18 2019 18:46 -
Thanks for the input :thumbs:
As we have a Rottie I'm not going to tie him to a post in the back garden just yet :laughs:
But I'm going to try using his 💩 As a deterrent around our boundaries in the back garden
As from what I have been reading strong smells seem to move them on.

If that fails a bottle of whiskey should remove them for good. :clap:

Not to pour on the garden :laughs: but a thank you to the farmer :cheers:
at one time you could buy dried powdered lion s**t which you could scatter round your borders----apparently it scares the s***e out of everything (even though they will never have met a lion)
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

It's called silent roar Kev.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Just looked at that :eek:
image.png
Nothing is safe from EU:laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Find where they are entering your property and then pee there every evening.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Well so far so good.
I think Mike was right about them being young. One was more cautious moving around the garden than the other.
It's been 10 days since we have seen them, so hopefully they have moved on for good.
I left some of Bensons 💩 In Bags around the garden. I also peed where we saw them appear on the CCTV.

On a good note we have still got 4 adult hogs moving around the garden though
we haven't seen the smaller ones :cry: Yet.
Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbs:

Andy
Andy Carpenter
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

One more suggestion, someone told me this one last week. Boil up some cloves of garlic & chopped red chillies & pour it around the boundaries. He said it works, never had one in my garden so I can’t vouch.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Many years ago I saw some stones for sale. They had anti elephant stone painted on them and were supposed to keep elephants out of your garden.
Worked really well. My mother put one in her rockery...we never saw elephants in the garden.
Maybe they do them for foxes :clown:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Haha. They were so good that the Stone Roses wrote a song about them.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Cyprio wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 18:57 -
Well so far so good.
I think Mike was right about them being young. One was more cautious moving around the garden than the other.
It's been 10 days since we have seen them, so hopefully they have moved on for good.
I left some of Bensons 💩 In Bags around the garden. I also peed where we saw them appear on the CCTV.

On a good note we have still got 4 adult hogs moving around the garden though
we haven't seen the smaller ones :cry: Yet.
Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbs:

Andy

Good news :thumbs:
Warm dry weather and they are now someone elses problem.
But after harvest or into autumn those who are still alive will return, of that you can be certain.
Dont drop your guard and be prepared for when they do.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

By the Autmn I doubt they will be anyone's problem round here.
A farm is 1/4 of a mile south from me and there are at least three pheasant rearing areas.
Once the crops are removed which should be all at once as there cereal this summer,
The local rim fire enthusiasts will be out on the hunt :shoot:
:cheers:
Andy Carpenter
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

jonsykes wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 19:35 -
One more suggestion, someone told me this one last week. Boil up some cloves of garlic & chopped red chillies & pour it around the boundaries. He said it works, never had one in my garden so I can’t vouch.
You sure his not scared of the dark and been watching horror movies.
Their foxes not vampires. :laughs:

Ps would smell better to us than the doggie doo bags do to us :giggle:
Andy Carpenter
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Apparently it smells the house out while it’s cooking & brings tears to your eyes...
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

Post by David.F.Scobie »

Unfournatley with foxes they are too intelligent for their own good, once they have figured out they can get something they want like food or shelter from a location they key onto it and keep going back. I've Farmers who run those industrial chicken coop things I go out once a month and shoot them one month I shot 5 fat immature dog foxes (the insides of their mouths show you if it's a young or old animal older animals have missing teeth and you can just tell) no vixens though, so you have to think out there in the immediate area there is vixens having pups the next week I had the farmer on the phone asking me to come back his cameras were picking up more foxes this place and the neighbouring poultry farms have a real issue with them, I only shoot the one farm there's 4 in this valley they supply Moy Park Chicken one of the biggest chicken producers in the UK and ROI so there's a lot of food and the foxes know that.

Dogs don’t seem to put them off either one of the neighbouring farms to this one has a couple of German shepherds and he still has issues with foxes he's in the unfournate position where his land straddles the main A5 road here in Co Tyrone he's had visits from the police for shooting foxes beside the main road I didn’t know this was a issue but apparently he's had the police threaten to take his firearms licence away if he's caught doing it again, I could see the points if he was shooting across over two duel carriageways over the heads of passing cars but he claims he wasn’t doing this, personally I don’t know 100% because I wasn’t there but it's why he got the dogs and he's still complaining about the foxes.

You cant poison them (please don’t do that, even if it's legal don’t do that it's just cruel) and humane traps are not the answer either because you'd only move the problem to another location unless your trapping them then destroying them that’s the only way to remove them.
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Trap em and shoot them in the trap.
Lay the body alongside and catch more before it gets fly blown.

I made a trap the fitted inside my henhouse, the entry was the pop hole, with it I caught dozens over the years, biggest problem was the hens went off lay the day after they had spent the night looking at their worst enemy.

Best trap I ever saw was alongside an iron fence on the estate of a stately home, made of the same fence material but with the bars narrower that trap was right out in the open parkland in full view of everyone. Made by a keeper between the Wars that trap must have caught thousands and is probably still operating.

The country saying is 'foxes are like crows, kill one and two come to the funeral'.
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

Post by David.F.Scobie »

It's being made more and more difficult for shooters to shoot the damn things too in NI I had a stand up row with a firearms police knowitall on a local range we were doing a days clay pigeon shooting and he starts talking about not shooting within 50 metres of a road being the law despite getting out the mobile phone and googling it then showing him he is incorrect only for him to do the whole if I seen you shooting that close to a road I'd arrest you.

This human is the sort you go some distance to avoid a real puke of a man, I think as a child he was bullied at the school so now he's a policeman he is getting his own back on the general public.

The rules around trapping have tightened up too believe it or not the hippies are coming for snares and slip type traps that BBC turd that caused the issue with the general licence in England his mob are targeting things on outskirts of field sports like using ferrets to hunt rabbits that’s firmly in the radar and using dogs to kill rats. I've used humane traps or live traps for foxes in the past the foxes soon get wise to these things and just go round them that’s what I mean by being too smart for their own good if they had have been trapped live and relocated they were still alive at the end of the day no such luck when I'm putting 223 lead pills in them, they breed so fast a vixen produces 3 to 6 cubs a year usually about end of March / April time but there's arguments that foxes have started going twice a year something to do with the warmer winters so one vixen in a year could produce between 6 to 12 cubs a year that’s a lot of pressure on farms trying to produce Lamb or Chicken this is all not including the urban fox population where food and warm shelter is plentiful and the chance of running into a rifle hunter is very rare.
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

We get foxes in our garden regularly and even feed them from time to time which people find strange as we keep ducks and chickens.The way I look at it is they are part of nature and it is my responsibility to make sure they can't get at the poultry. In 9 years of keeping poultry only once have I lost birds to a fox when one jumped over the electrified netting but since then I've put electrified pony tape above it to increase the height.They are clever though and if there is a way they will find it.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Metalscobes666 wrote: Wed Jul 03 2019 15:55 -
It's being made more and more difficult for shooters to shoot the damn things too in NI I had a stand up row with a firearms police knowitall on a local range we were doing a days clay pigeon shooting and he starts talking about not shooting within 50 metres of a road being the law despite getting out the mobile phone and googling it then showing him he is incorrect only for him to do the whole if I seen you shooting that close to a road I'd arrest you.

This human is the sort you go some distance to avoid a real puke of a man, I think as a child he was bullied at the school so now he's a policeman he is getting his own back on the general public.

The rules around trapping have tightened up too believe it or not the hippies are coming for snares and slip type traps that BBC turd that caused the issue with the general licence in England his mob are targeting things on outskirts of field sports like using ferrets to hunt rabbits that’s firmly in the radar and using dogs to kill rats. I've used humane traps or live traps for foxes in the past the foxes soon get wise to these things and just go round them that’s what I mean by being too smart for their own good if they had have been trapped live and relocated they were still alive at the end of the day no such luck when I'm putting 223 lead pills in them, they breed so fast a vixen produces 3 to 6 cubs a year usually about end of March / April time but there's arguments that foxes have started going twice a year something to do with the warmer winters so one vixen in a year could produce between 6 to 12 cubs a year that’s a lot of pressure on farms trying to produce Lamb or Chicken this is all not including the urban fox population where food and warm shelter is plentiful and the chance of running into a rifle hunter is very rare.
Your right scobes the packham crew and snowflake generation won’t stop till all field sports are banned, here in Scotland there’s a green mp making it her mission to get all forms of hunting banned,