Punt

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Punt

Post by piker al »

387248FF-4384-4C11-B1FC-5E9BD9D49741.jpeg
Seen a couple of lads heading out wildfowling with a punt this morning, first I’ve seen on the solway for years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Punt

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice pic , not seen that for years punt gunning ....
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Brilliant , my great grandad used to do that, serious skill involved I’m sure, good to know there’s still a few doing it 👍
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Danoutdoors wrote: Wed Nov 24 2021 21:44 -
Brilliant , my great grandad used to do that, serious skill involved I’m sure, good to know there’s still a few doing it 👍
My dad used to punt with an old guy in the 1980s but that’s the only time I’ve seen it, really enjoyed seeing them going out, it’s like a lot of old country sports almost forgotten,there’s good flocks of wigeon here the now on the shore, a good number of pink foot geese too, I’ve had 1 so far, but not with the punt I was hidden behind the flood bank :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Do they still use punt guns?
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Use to read about it ..I thought it had died out by early 80's, a method that was a cracking read about and not for the faint hearted to participate in.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

I watched an old lad fire a punt gun at one of the game fairs years ago. He was lying in his punt with what looked like 15ft of scaffolding pole sticking out the front and a tiny bit of wood on the back end to hold it steady. What surprised me, and I think most of the other people watching, was the speed that he shot backwards at after he fired the thing! There was a roar, a cloud of smoke, a flash and the punt shot off at an alarming rate with the guy inside hanging on to the gunnels for dear life! The noise and the smoke must’ve been like being at Waterloo for the opening volley!
Bob
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I would of thought all punt guns were black powder only, impressive to watch and experience, to be frank though it was an indiscriminate affair which would hardly hold up against scrutiny today from a moral aspect.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 12:41 -
I would of thought all punt guns were black powder only, impressive to watch and experience, to be frank though it was an indiscriminate affair which would hardly hold up against scrutiny today from a moral aspect.
Wasn't the aim (no pun intended!) to shoot as many birds as possible with one shot?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 13:07 -
Wasn't the aim (no pun intended!) to shoot as many birds as possible with one shot?

Yes... however there is no getting away from the fact it was a skill to approach and read the conditions, it was a hardy soul who was out in them with nothing in the way of safety aids etc, it was for maximum gain in those days, hence it would not be considered ethical in todays climate against plenty of food available...
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Them lads never fired a shot the other day, to calm to get near the big numbers of birds, I think they fire about 5oz of shot through them, need a good number of birds to make a shot worthwhile
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

piker al wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 19:34 -
Them lads never fired a shot the other day, to calm to get near the big numbers of birds, I think they fire about 5oz of shot through them, need a good number of birds to make a shot worthwhile
Shot?
I thought they loaded them with half a bucket of horse nails and any other scrap that fitted (30 ducks a shot)
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Nov 27 2021 21:24 -
piker al wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 19:34 -
Shot?
I thought they loaded them with half a bucket of horse nails and any other scrap that fitted (30 ducks a shot)
Must of got a bit more upto date since them days kev :laughs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 13:14 -
That's been on here before, but it's still a very good watch.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

chris packham is a fan of it ......