Accounting for a very suspicious rat.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Accounting for a very suspicious rat.

Post by Mike J »

Over the past four weeks Ive been trying to account for a very big rat that has been visiting my garden.
It wouldn't go through my tunnel trap, nor come during the day, dusk or even when a subdued light was left to illuminate its favourite food. Staking down the food and it pulled or ate the food off stake, tieing it down and it gnawed through the 250braid Id used.
My last resort was night vision with Bob sharing his IR set up with me and onto the 'net looking at the required parts.
That was when I remembered a tip from somewhere use nuttella a lightbulb moment or a false dawn? Either way a £1 jar* it was worth a go.

image.jpg
A half a teaspoon spread on the stale crust it had nibbled in the previous night, staked in my killing zone at 19.00 and the rat was there within 20mins. first nipping out (from the right) for a quick lick but very quickly staying just that little bit longer, until it was no longer.

* Tesco Meridian Chocca - Highly recommended.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Accounting for a very suspicious rat.

Post by piker al »

Any trophy shots of the beast Mike ?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker al wrote: Sun Aug 07 2022 15:45 -

Sorry al, I don't do those.

To give you an idea I only take head shots so they just slump, my rifle is super accurate and at short range with a match pellet its instant.
If you ever get a chance try the choco spread they cant seem to leave it alone.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 08 2022 10:32 -
piker al wrote: Sun Aug 07 2022 15:45 -

Sorry al, I don't do those.

To give you an idea I only take head shots so they just slump, my rifle is super accurate and at short range with a match pellet its instant.
If you ever get a chance try the choco spread they cant seem to leave it alone.

Never tried to chocolate spread Mike, we used to shoot loads of rats in a farmers grain shed with the old BSA air rifles when we where young boys, peanut butter on a plank of wood was good at pulling them out :thumbs: