Theoben

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Theoben

Post by Ben »

I've just been appointed as a Bailiff on my local water and they have permission to kill those b*****d cormorants so I want to join the party

Can you guys fill me in on the Theoben range of .22 rifles please

I'm not interested in any other make, I'm called Ben so I want a Theoben

I'm being lazy so what's the difference between the Scirroco, Eliminator and Rapid?

I can't be bothered cocking a rifle so I think I want a CO2 or pneumatic (if there's a difference)

I'd like a high end scope and whatever else required to wipe out comorants

What should I expect to pay for a high end second hand model?

I know we can't advertise guns on here but if you've got something that fits the bill please send me a PM

Thank you in advance and sorry for being lazy but I'd rather ask my trusted forum guys first

Cheers

Ben
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Re: Theoben

Post by Ben »

I want to shoot rabbits and squirrels and pigeons as well ideally, so maybe a tripod type affair is what I need?

I've got a Wembley tempest hand held thing but that's just for arsing about with and is probably laughed it in the gun world!
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

I'd have thought that a shotgun would be a more effective weapon Ben. :thumbs:

A cormorant is a large bird and, despite the harm they do, it doesn't deserve to suffer any more than a pike does. A 22 air rifle shot is unlikely to provide a clean kill unless precisely placed using a firearms certificate upgraded 12ft.lbs plus rifle :afraid:
An expert is but a beginner with experience.
"Sometimes in life there is a great skill in knowing when to shut up" - Alan.
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

Ben, I also think that despite the club having a licence to cull some cormorants, you'll personally also need permission in writing from the landowner authorising you to shoot on his land and from the club authorising you to carry out the cull. I wouldn't want you falling foul of the law Mate. However, I stand to be corrected if anyone else can confirm otherwise. :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

You going to have to hit them in the head to kill them. And you gonna struggle to get close enough. However I believe a handy drying post in close proximity to a good hide may give an opportunity :wink:

Mate of mine shoots em with a shotgun. I think he uses magnum no 4's to down em. Tough birds
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

You want a FAC Rapid for the air bottle capacity @ 500cc and head shots only with those birds. Co2 is a gas cartridge where as compressed air is just that, you can buy a hand pump or a divers bottle to pressurize the chamber of the gun, go with the latter !
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

If you're going for a firearm certificate rated rifle, you'll definitely need the written permission from the landholder before you will be granted the fac that you'll need to buy and use the gun. You'll also need to show the county firearms inspector your secure gun storage cabinet and be interviewed before a fac will be granted.

In the current climate you can't blame the police for these security measures which are legal requirements. An fac rated rifle in the wrong hands could be a lethal weapon. Hope this helps :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

DavyMc wrote:
You want a FAC Rapid for the air bottle capacity @ 500cc and head shots only with those birds. Co2 is a gas cartridge where as compressed air is just that, you can buy a hand pump or a divers bottle to pressurize the chamber of the gun, go with the latter !
you will wish you hadn't if you do buy one :laughs: get a bottle like Davy says, well worth doing and takes seconds to refill :thumbs:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

All the landowners have given permission for shot gun and air rifle use, I can't really be arsed with having the filth round at my house checking gun cabinets

I have a good eye so would be comfortable going for head shots only with a .22 rifle and good quality scope with bipod

Could I get something decent for £500 second hand? I don't want another expensive hobby!!

Thanks for the replies so far lads
SHAUN B
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by SHAUN B »

It's worth a look on here Ben you might find something local pal http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-rifles-for ... F/Air-Guns. I know you like the Theeben name but you want go far wrong with air arms :thumbs:
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED TRY ,TRY AGAIN !!
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Non fac I would go with a 177, much flatter shot over 40 yards than a 22. Head shots only they're dead whatever size, body shots are bad on all the quarry you intend to go for as they're tough as ole boots and will fly or run away.
Used a 22 AA 410 for a long time on woodies, then tried a 177 BSA R10 and much preferred the smaller caliber. For £500 you will struggle to get a good Theoben and scope, get on this site and dig for the info you need and get posting to access the sales pages! http://www.airgunbbs.com/
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by charliedog »

Honestly dont think you could kill a cormorant cleanly with a normal air rifle and would be a little bit surprised if the culling licence allows their use but no expert on this aspect of it
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

charliedog wrote:
Honestly dont think you could kill a cormorant cleanly with a normal air rifle and would be a little bit surprised if the culling licence allows their use but no expert on this aspect of it
Someone ( :wink: ) who used to live next to the Hobhole drain used to shoot the cormorants that sat on top of the telegraph pole outside his bungalow with a 22 12ft/lb air rifle. Distance was about 15 yards post about 18ft high. A comfortable shooting position was from inside the bedroom shooting through the slightly opened window---an instant kill was by shooting either up under the beak into the brain or one straight in the crust through the eye area. Pointless trying to get a heart/lung shot
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Air arms look nice guns, ta Shaun, this looks a good one

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/air-arms-177-a ... uns/895449

Theoben relocated to America after Dave Theobald died then the UK arm of the business went into liquidation, now manufactured under the name Impact
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Davy how many posts do I need before I can view the classifieds on that forum?
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

Don't forget Ben if you're caught using an air rifle rated at even 0.1 ft.lbs above the unlicensed limit of 12 ft.lbs without a FAC it carries a MANDATORY sentence of five years imprisonment. :afraid:

You'll also need adequate third party insurance.....

Some culling licences also specify the guns that must be used, often nothing less than shotguns. In some cases rim fire rifles are prohibited due to the danger of ricochets etc ..

All I'm trying to say Ben is that it's not something to be taken lightly on a whim or on the cheap. But if you do decide to run with it good luck and enjoy it :thumbs:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

s**t a brick 5yrs!!!!

Hmmm I have a security cleared job, maybe this is not the best idea I've ever had!?

Especially as £500 is nowhere near enough of a budget now I've started to research more thoroughly, I do not need another expensive hobby!!

I just hate Comorants and like the idea of killing some

What's the penalty for killing comorants when you have no licence to cull? They are a big problem on one of my favourite waters and I don't understand why the locals haven't dealt with them.....I guess I've answered my own question there, the penalty must be hefty!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

at moment I have a Daystate Regal Hunstsman 177. 10 shot magazine. Put a camera /infra red set up on it. Deadly accurate, pellet on pellet
Makes a right mess of rats at 30-40yds at night. I wonder what it would be like shooting roosting birds

look at this vid with a standard 22 versus a 36lb air rifle notice the drop on the pellet, a 177 dosnt drop as much as a 22 does, a 22 gun lobs the pellet in an arc, much flatter shot with 177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVhIbGHDEI

this video compares 177 and 22 sub 12ft/lb air rifles, pellet drop and retained energy with different pellets, very good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRCXk_-Xz-0

and for a choice of what to have .177, .20, .25 en either sub 12ft or upped a tad look at this
http://www.gunmart.net/shooting-advice/ ... air_rifles
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by charliedog »

good video, quite surprised at the difference, makes you wonder why you would choose a 22? (but thats what i use)
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

One reason for using a .22 compared to a .177, that I was quoted by the gunsmiths in Chester was that:
"you can throw a pebble much straighter and with greater accuracy than a house brick, but the house brick would give you a much bigger headache when it hit you"....... :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

I have a Theoben evolution in the middle calibrate .20 mint condition 3/9/40 scope leave it cocked for days it will do no harm for sale for 450 and I live down the road from you can't shoot any more due to health problem I also have pre charged riffles and charging bottle if you want to go this route less than 500 i have shot cormorants whith a 8 bore shot gun 3oz of lead it takes them out at 80 yards dead as a nit and before any one says I am not a business just some one who has the hard wear but cannot use them any more if any thing you like email me I am only just getting used to the Internet so still learning mike :grin:
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

I'm using a Weirhrauch 100 in 177, its up to the legal limit and very consistent with accuracy, I'm getting 12mm grouping at 35 / 40 yards so a head shot is achievable. You will get an excellent second hand one complete with good sights and air tank to £500.
A friend of mine has a FAC Theoben, its an excellent gun and I'd love one but as you have found out they are expensive.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

Theoben also has quick detachable sling and swivels case and pellets its the ambi model left or right oiled walnut stock and pellets the other is a gunpower stealth 177 call sling and swivels bipod silencer 4 16 50 scope laser and spot light plus tactical case the last one is a logun axor .22 cal 8shot rifle with 4 magazines sling swivels bipod 3 9 50 scope bsa silencer action like new oiled walnut stock 350 the magazine gives a follow up shot if needed mike :grin:
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

Wierachs are very accurate guns give any gun a run for its money the model 80 back in the day were souped up some where running at 20 pounds per foot with a ox Spring and piston weights they were the days :laughs: :veryevil:
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

The theobens scope is 4 9 50 not 3 9 40 :thumbs:
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

Theoben and others in next months airguner magazine if you are interested post me I am in Lancashire also very clean guns
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Ben wrote:
Davy how many posts do I need before I can view the classifieds on that forum?
Had to go look, it's 5 posts then need wait on the admin verifying you.

I would go with a pre charge/compress air rifle for shooting birds and beasts, accuracy is spot on!
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

I've got a AirArms S510 ultimate sported I'm selling Ben looking for £750 22 calibre
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I had a well sorted Theoben mk2 and paid £700.
There's a Rapid forum and that gives you some good contacts.
I was popping crows off at 30yds no problem then had one bad b*****d that took about 5 shots.
Put me off shooting as it was just waiting for the next shot to come in.
Turned into a soft b*****d now :laughs:
That Perkins !!! 😂
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Carlperkins wrote:
I was popping crows off at 30yds no problem then had one bad b*****d that took about 5 shots.
Put me off shooting as it was just waiting for the next shot to come in.
Turned into a soft b*****d now :laughs:
I had a similar experience many years ago.

Apart from tapping a fish on the head, I can't kill anything.
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....