Goodbye to mans best friend

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Goodbye to mans best friend

Post by suffolk si »

I put my boxer down today,and can honestly say its one of the hardest things I have done, he was ten and over the past few weeks he had lost control of his legs and back end, was heart breaking to watch and l will miss taking him out and watching his antics around pike and just his personality and ways.So it is farewell to rocky the boxer(imaginative name hey;)and in the next few weeks hello to a new dog.Can anybody give me some ideas on a well behaved,family friendly,reasonably energetic breed, nothing to small (six foot six of me will look stupid with a Chihuahua!)that will make a happy addition to the household and be suitable to take on the odd fishing trip.
Thanks for the memories...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Goodbye to mans best friend

Post by Steve Moore »

Sorry to hear of your loss.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers Steve,really was tough watching him go down hill, never put a dog down before,anybody that's has been there will know how it feels,cliché I know, he was like a family member.Gonna give it a week or two before getting a new one
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I went through the same last year with jasper, age 16.
Lots of mates on the pit helped me select my current dog, Tilly the border terrier, lovely dogs but might be a bit small for you.
Dont rush into it, make sure you get the right one.
Best of luck.
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Sad m8

Keep the chin up :thumbs:

As Steve says borders are great, that would be my next choice after Russ goes. Another original name for you (jack Russell). Had Russell's for 27 years
DANCES WAE PIKE
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Hey Si, sorry to hear your news. Its tough even when you know its the only (right) thing to do.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

suffolk si wrote:
Cheers Steve,really was tough watching him go down hill, never put a dog down before,anybody that's has been there will know how it feels,cliché I know, he was like a family member.Gonna give it a week or two before getting a new one

It will be seven years, on April the seventh I had our Staffie "Rizla" put to sleep. Old age and arthritis but it was the right thing to do. It knocked the b******s out of me for about six months. A mate said to me "Dogs, they break your 'effing heart". Not a week goes by, when I do not talk about the soppy daft as a sack of s**t bugger.

He's not wrong, you miss 'em. Chin up :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

I also feel your pain Si. Had to put a young(3 years old)spinger bitch to sleep due to parvo many years ago, she done everything with me bar sleep in the bed ( mrs wouldn't let her), I cried like a baby for 3 days. It's such a hard thing to do, chin up lad.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by charliedog »

You are correct and until you have been through it personally i do not think that you can really understand the sense of loss, i really never expected it and it does not really get any easier, with regards to a replacement only ever had staffords, great breed but not sure best fishing dog as very led by food (and bait)
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Thanks people,gonna to take a hip flask tomorrow on closing day and pour one for him,a closing day twenty would help.appreciate the condolences :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Awe Si thats a wee shame :sad: bet it had a great life with you mate couldnt ask for more :thumbs:

Would you consider a border collie ? They seem quite loyal and intelligent. If yer after energetic a cocker spaniel pup. Bloke up the fishery got one recently and its as mad as a f****n firework on an E.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers Andy, its obviously still raw, but in the back of my mind over the past two weeks I have been thinking about the future and have considered collie's,spaniels,labs etc.My uncle used to breed springers and they seemed to fit the bill,haven't ruled out another boxer but don't know if that will seem strange....
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

My last Russell was 17 at the end,,,couldn't face the trip too the vet so my auld Da took her.....I went fishing with my m8... I never even took the rods out the bag!

Your a brave man Si
DANCES WAE PIKE
mickmcd
Chub
Chub

Post by mickmcd »

It's a dreadful thing to have to do but necessary sometimes. We had to let our lab / collie cross go just over 2 years ago, she was on the operating table when the vet phoned me to say she was riddled with tumours and had no hope of living for mire than a month and possibly in severe pain. I could hear her heartbeat on the monitor in the background..... but told him to let her go.......still welling up here thinking about her. Her ashes are actually in my wardrobe upstairs (how sad is that)?

However we got another lab / collie cross, nice dogs and not too small, good with all the family here and she DOES sleep on the bed (unfortunately). Best of luck in your search for a new one Si. :thumbs:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

mickmcd wrote:
Her ashes are actually in my wardrobe upstairs (how sad is that)?
Not at all, Neo's Ashes are on our mantelpiece, I guess they will find a permanent home sometime, just not quite yet :wink:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Si,a lot,of sympathy on here for you,we had ours put down day after Boxing Day just gone,like you say it's heartbreaking stuff,and the silence around the house is unbearable,don't be in a rush to replace him,give yourself time to grieve a little,you'll know when the time is right,we've also got Harry's ashes in the wardrobe
We'll have a proper send off for him when the time is right :thumbs: :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
mickmcd wrote:
Not at all, Neo's Ashes are on our mantelpiece, I guess they will find a permanent home sometime, just not quite yet :wink:

Our dog resides in the bedside cabinet on my side.When I go and hopefully not for many years. His ashes will be placed in with me. When I'm toast and the deed is done. We are to be thrown into a favourite stretch of river of mine. :thumbs:

Daft buggers to a man, but as Si said man's best friend. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
mickmcd wrote:

We paid for the vet to put our Staff to sleep at home in his bed.

And his ashes are in a nice mahogany casket, and take pride of place in the living room.

Nothing daft about it.

Sorry to hear about your dog Si, gutted for you.. :cry:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Thanks for the advice nige, you have hit the nail on the head,he normally follows me everywhere,its very weird,the wife is in bits, really wasn't nice having his head in my arms whilst he went but I owed it to him.Surprising how us tough old fishing folk can be reduced to crying babies by things like this, the vet patted me on the back but looked like he felt a bit awkward seeing an eighteen stone bearded rugby bloke in tears, must be a tough job sometimes I guess, i thanked him for the time he gave me at the end to say goodbye and doing the job sensitivity.
d roberts
Perch
Perch

Post by d roberts »

Sad news.

We had a boxer whilst I was growing up, brilliant dogs, massive characters.

Had a Staffie for 14 years after that, top dogs, ours was a typical 'nanny' dog very placid.

Currently have a shih tzu ! Kids choice not mine, good dog tho, not much of a fishing dog, but a great Family dog.

Probably go for something more robust next time, Malinos or Australian cattle dog are favourites.
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

One of the hardest things to have to do Si. When you get to my age, you've been through it a few times but it doesn't get any easier....

Personally I've got a soft spot for spaniels, having owned a Springer and then a Clumber. However, my brother, a shooting man, always claims that a Labrador is born half trained, whilst a Springer is half trained when it dies :laughs: :laughs:

Springers really live up to their name; it's like they're on springs, absolutely full of energy all the time :thumbs:
An expert is but a beginner with experience.
"Sometimes in life there is a great skill in knowing when to shut up" - Alan.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Sorry to hear that Si. :cry:

As others have said, its heartbreaking but when they get to that state but its the only responsible thing to. If you love them you do have to do the right thing for them.

Im dreading having to make the same decision for my old duchess. We got a new Sprocker pup 8mths ago to try and soften the blow, as Im not expecting her to last too much longer.
0D36DBD6-A03E-490D-B0CC-56C8B3CB202C.jpg
Im hoping I go into the kitchen one morning and she's quietly gone in the night.

Feck me Ive tears in my eyes just writing this now.. :sad: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers Karl,as you said it had to be done really, hope you get some more quality time with yours :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

its the longest walk you ever take your dog on :sad:
Ive usually had loads of dogs so there isn't a void to fill---still not easy
best time to get another dog is when you know the old lad/lass hasn't got much longer, quite often gives them a new lease of life having a young tearaway to sort out. Pups learn faster as well if theres an old hand to show them the ropes.

Cockers are nice fishing dogs---bugger for getting covered in those little burrs though,
same as springers---who will drive you wild doing wall of death tricks round the living room
terriers ---great dogs for taking fishing, take plenty of "spare" food :laughs:
small lurchers---laid back ----but thieves of the highest order and a tendency to wonder off after squirrels rabbits etc
labs--great outdoor dogs---like to go swimming though---and bigger thieves than lurchers :laughs:

whichever one you get one thing is certain---none of them will sit still like stuffed toys when you fishing :laughs: --- but you will have lots of fun with them on the bank :thumbs:
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Kev Berry wrote:
its the longest walk you ever take your dog on :sad:

best time to get another dog is when you know the old lad/lass hasn't got much longer, quite often gives them a new lease of life having a young tearaway to sort out. Pups learn faster as well if theres an old hand to show them the ropes.
:thumbs:
Kev you do know your dogs. :wink:

Our sprocker pup has given the old girl a reason to live again it seems.
Trouble is she's now trying to run like she did when she was a pup :laughs:
Last edited by Edward.P.A.C on Tue Mar 14 2017 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers kev :thumbs: Swaying towards a lab I think, give it a week or two though...
Barry
Roach
Roach

Post by Barry »

Feel for you Si, loosing your best mate, sure I love my girl more than the ol'e woman. she definatly has better breath. good luck with the new kid on the block.
Barry
I had the day off at school when we did english. please don't knock me.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Tough time for you, I still get sad thinking about my last dog. Tough decision to make but the right thing to do when you care so much about them.
Rik W
Chub
Chub

Post by Rik W »

So sorry to hear that. I lost one of my Labs nearly two years ago and think about him everyday. My other Lab is nearly 14 (we got them together) his legs and backend are going and I know very soon I am going to have to make that same decision all over again.
After losing the first Lab we got a Cocker. Buying another dog isn't for everyone, but i can honestly say he was the 'furry bandaid' that mended my broken heart. I have owned Springers before, but had never experienced the love attention and look you get from a Cocker - total adoration both ways.
I hope you find the right dog when you are ready.
Cod
Perch
Perch

Post by Cod »

Sorry to hear of your loss Si, as you point out they really are mans best friend.
Best wishes PB.
Learning is a gift.