Air Rifle

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Freako
Chub
Chub

Air Rifle

Post by Freako »

Anyone recommend a decent cheep'ish air rifle?
Mick.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Air Rifle

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Fed up with that sprawk Mick?

Chers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

How much you wanting to spend, pcp or springer?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Im my few goes with air rifles, I would never consider buying a springer now i have had a go on a pcp!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

Yes I’ve got a pcp Rifle definitely a lot easier to shoot, ive got a hw45 pistol which is a springer ,it’s got a right kick too it.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jan 03 2018 16:14 -
Im my few goes with air rifles, I would never consider buying a springer now i have had a go on a pcp!

Cheers Alan
I would never go back to a springer ---now matter how good they are they scare things off with the noise, makes ratting a chore waiting for the rest to come back after you've blasted one
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Jan 03 2018 19:07 -

Cheers Alan
I would never go back to a springer ---now matter how good they are they scare things off with the noise, makes ratting a chore waiting for the rest to come back after you've blasted one
Now now kev I wasn't talking about shooting those little darlings, just paper punching :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jan 03 2018 14:54 -
Fed up with that sprawk Mick?

Chers ALan
Noooooooooooooooooooooo Alan
Mick.
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Only up to around £200.00 a few Squiz and Maggies at close range.
I have been looking at the Gamo Whisper .22, yes I am sure for the serious shooter they are crap, but I can't find a bad reviw.

Thanks Guys by the way :thumbs:
Mick.
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

Have a look on guntrader & gunstar might be able to get something second hand and collect it rather than paying the £25 to get it delivered to your local rfd
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Freako wrote: Wed Jan 03 2018 20:10 -
I have been looking at the Gamo Whisper .22, yes I am sure for the serious shooter they are crap, but I can't find a bad reviw.

"a few Squiz and Maggies at close range. " Noooooooooooooooooooooo Mick! :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jan 03 2018 20:22 -

"a few Squiz and Maggies at close range. " Noooooooooooooooooooooo Mick! :laughs:

Cheers Alan
:boing:
Mick.
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Brocock Compatto amazingly accurate, quality build and one of the best pcp rifles out there for its price range. Plastic stock with pistol grip, 2 stage trigger and you can adjust the power level on it. Check it out on untuned, there are some very good reviews. Go for the 177 as it’s certainly more accurate at long ranges
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by charliedog »

Dont be put off a springer for occasional use (and your budget), much cheaper and has been known historically to knock a few over if you point it in the right direction
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

What Charlie said! Shot spring guns for a long time and few years ago tried pre charge, very easy to shoot but they lack something ever decent springer has a soul and some life. I bought a few pre charge however quickly bored of them and sold them wheres the 35 year old one's still here in the safe. Add to that you'll need a means of charging them pump or air bottle, where as a spring gun will work right out the box no add ons required well apart from a scoop.
Get an older HW canny beat them!
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Cheers Alan

you have never shot a venom tuned gun then :)

my last pcp was a rws 500 ags 4-16x56 swat scope
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cooky wrote: Thu Jan 04 2018 19:48 -

Cheers Alan

you have never shot a venom tuned gun then :)

my last pcp was a rws 500 ags 4-16x56 swat scope
no I havnt ---looked on you tube and they do seem a lot quieter after tuning. :thumbs:

still prefer my Daystate though
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

they are amazing and the one i fired was when i was 14 so 27 years ago it was a hw80 with tyrolean stock i will never forget that day

what daystate you got ?
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Sorry give me a spring action... Character in every pull!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cooky wrote: Thu Jan 04 2018 20:32 -
they are amazing and the one i fired was when i was 14 so 27 years ago it was a hw80 with tyrolean stock i will never forget that day

what daystate you got ?
Huntsman 177 rigged up with camera and infra red
Chris b
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris b »

A old air arms TX200 mk1 is worth a look out for if you want a springer like a better,smoother,more accurate HW77.
PCP wise straight out the box i find HW100 very hard to beat these days but a bit pricey.
Had tons of rifles in my day daystate LR90,air arms S400K,ripley XL25(fac) ,2 x rapid 7's(.22/.20),tx200,hw35, original 52.
Like other have said id sway more to .177 if had the choice just generally more accurate and a bit easier to shoot long as it isnt super windy :)
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

You should be able to find a second hand BSA Ultra multi for that price, cracking little guns.

Pro's, light, short, cheap, very accurate.

Cons low shot count.

Only about 35 shots per fill on the old model (your price range) but fit a regulator and this goes to 60ish on a 230bar (300 bar bottle needed) fill. Regulators are about £80 and you could fit it yourself, or a mate with engineering knowledge.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As davymac says,
No fussing or add-ons.
Lever the spring, drop in a slug and wham!
Time after time for as long as you have ammo.

Mine is a Webley Mk3 in 22 and Ive had it from new.
Recently I inherited my Fathers Original Model 50 again in .22 and although its older I actually think its a better weapon.

Ive also owned a few others from a Walther .22 to a Mannlicher .223 up to a Win 308 but for a bird table raider a well placed slug with a bit of umph behind it is all that's required.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

If you're in the field, dropping corvids, squirrels and rabbits, a PCP is by far a better choice. A springer can spook anything within ear shot, a PCP less so. A PCP has more than enough shot counts for your average hunting trip, some new one's have more than 200 shots per fill. A regulated PCP gives a sweet spot throughout the entire shot range.

I also love the "feel" of a springer, my next purchase is going to be an Air Arms Pro Sport. They perform as well as and look far better than any Weihrach, IMO!
jamie g
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by jamie g »

200 pound would get you a pcp. like a air arms s200. but with needing a pump or a dive bottle. you are better off getting a spring powered air rifle.

something like a old air arms tx 200 or hw is good value for money. and veey well built

venom tuned air rifles are superb but they hold very good money. and unlikely find one for 200 notes