Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

Post by Ben »

Bert & Ernie love a bit of rough and tumble when they’re running about the park, a few weeks ago Bert clipped Ernie whilst they were at full pelt and Ernie went a**e over t*t.

The next day he had slight limp which I thought would just disappear, he’s had it for 3 weeks now so I decided to research home treatments.

I found a recipe which is not only a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps prevent cancer.

You mix organic turmeric, organic black pepper, water and organic coconut oil, heat it up then put it in a jar then store in the fridge. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the tincture with each meal (I feed B&E twice a day).

Been using it for 3 days and Ernie’s limp has gone!

I am very pleased indeed, the ingredients cost about £30 from Amazon, this recipe makes a s**t load and the recommendation is to only keep it for 2 weeks so I am going to try halving the amounts next time.

I’ll post the recipe when I get home later
Kev Berry

Re: Natural anti-inflammatory for dogs

Post by Kev Berry »

Ben wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 16:19 -
Bert & Ernie love a bit of rough and tumble when they’re running about the park, a few weeks ago Bert clipped Ernie whilst they were at full pelt and Ernie went a**e over t*t.

The next day he had slight limp which I thought would just disappear, he’s had it for 3 weeks now so I decided to research home treatments.

I found a recipe which is not only a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps prevent cancer.

You mix organic turmeric, organic black pepper, water and organic coconut oil, heat it up then put it in a jar then store in the fridge. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the tincture with each meal (I feed B&E twice a day).

I am very pleased indeed, the ingredients cost about £30 from Amazon, this recipe makes a s**t load and the recommendation is to only keep it for 2 weeks so I am going to try halving the amounts next time.

be about £20 cheaper at least if you just got the stuff from Tesco's---might be a bit less curcumin in the turmeric than organic---just give him a bit more.

if he was limping for 3 weeks there may be underlying problems Ben and the anti inflammatory stuff might be hiding it, dogs have a big pain threshold and are good at not showing pain.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 19:34 -

be about £20 cheaper at least if you just got the stuff from Tesco's---might be a bit less curcumin in the turmeric than organic---just give him a bit more.

if he was limping for 3 weeks there may be underlying problems Ben and the anti inflammatory stuff might be hiding it, dogs have a big pain threshold and are good at not showing pain.
I tend to use the... erm...now what they called...erm ...ah yes, the vets!

May cost a few quid more than jungle medicine but its all part of being a responsible dog owner!
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Apr 28 2018 08:21 -

May cost a few quid more than jungle medicine but its all part of being a responsible dog owner!
if the jungle medicines work Alan I'm all for it---problem is dogs cant talk and they have a high pain threshold. No use running to the vets every time they bang themselves, but as in Bens case of his dog still limping 3 weeks later without improvement I would have gone to the vets. Just like I would have gone to the docs if I hadn't stopped limping after a couple of days after a tumble
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Apr 28 2018 08:39 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Apr 28 2018 08:21 -

if the jungle medicines work Alan I'm all for it---problem is dogs cant talk and they have a high pain threshold. No use running to the vets every time they bang themselves, but as in Bens case of his dog still limping 3 weeks later without improvement I would have gone to the vets. Just like I would have gone to the docs if I hadn't stopped limping after a couple of days after a tumble
If a dog picks a limp up I would initially reduce the exercise to an appropriate level by keeping it on a lead, if after a week or so it hadn't improved or got worse it would be down the vets for sure.
Being a pet owner involves spending money and is why I insure my pets, you know it makes sense Rodders!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Golden Paste is the name generally used.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

The jungle meds are good in some case....and in some case over the counter human meds are ok for dogs....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Apr 30 2018 11:22 -
The jungle meds are good in some case....and in some case over the counter human meds are ok for dogs....
theres a lot of over the counter meds will kill your dog---be careful
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Thats why I said some Kev :-)
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Apr 30 2018 12:25 -
Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Apr 30 2018 11:22 -
theres a lot of over the counter meds will kill your dog---be careful
Again its why you should go to the vets!
Trying to save a few quid on a life long friend??? don't make sense!

Cheers Alan
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

The vets told me the correct over counter meds to get, do you worry Al.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

My Lab/Pointer X (Royboy) was showing signs of a limp on his front shoulders for a month or 2 when he was 13/14 yrs .
Tried various solutions and concoctions , nothing worked until a dog breeder (Springers only) suggested the following .

Gloucosomine tablets that women take for osteoporosis .
I broke up a half a tab into his food each evening and within 4/5 days he was running around like a mad one!

Tablets available from Holland & Barrett or any health supplement shops.

Sadly I lost him when he was 16 , but he had a good innings and he was a rescue dog to boot!
Pat
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

royboy wrote: Fri May 11 2018 19:18 -
My Lab/Pointer X (Royboy) was showing signs of a limp on his front shoulders for a month or 2 when he was 13/14 yrs .
Tried various solutions and concoctions , nothing worked until a dog breeder (Springers only) suggested the following .

Gloucosomine tablets that women take for osteoporosis .
I broke up a half a tab into his food each evening and within 4/5 days he was running around like a mad one!

Tablets available from Holland & Barrett or any health supplement shops.

Sadly I lost him when he was 16 , but he had a good innings and he was a rescue dog to boot!
Pat
Glucosamine works better with chondroitin. Glucosamine regulates the synthesis of collagen in cartilage and may provide some mild anti-inflammatory relief, chondroitin sulphate slows destructive enzymes in joint fluid and cartilage. Combined they will help to regenerate any cartilage damage.
The normal glucosamine sulphate dose is 20 mg/lb of body weight or one 500 mg tablet per 25 pounds of body weight. If dog has bad arthritis you may have to up it a bit. Don't use the cheap tablets, get the HCI ones not the 2KCL or NaCI
Best tablets have 500mg Glucosamine and 400mg chondroitin. In some dogs it may take a while to see improvement, a lot depends on their condition.
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

My youngish (7 years) dog kept getting a stiff rear leg after getting up from a sleep.

Vet recommended this:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Yumove-Joint-S ... ogs/c2299/

Works out about 12p a tablet per day, not exactly gonna break the bank.

Can confirm it works as well.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Morph read the ingredients--- same as Glucosamine and chondroitin tablets
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Just to clarify, Ernie’s limp wasn’t happening all the time, he’d limp for a few minutes at the start of a walk then it would go, didn’t stop him running at full speed.

They are both insured up to 12 grand and I’d have no hesitation taking them to the vets if necessary but I know (because my friend is a vet) that they’d have prescribed him Loxicon which is an artificial anti inflammatory

This golden paste is also reported to help prevent cancer so now it’s part of both their diets.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Oh and they also have Yu-move as well
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Another variation is "Glucos Plus " , a syrup given to horses to help with joint problems .

I found a teaspoon of it in the dogs food each day works as well .

Pat