Itchy Dog ...

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
royboy
Chub
Chub

Itchy Dog ...

Post by royboy »

My newish dog (Golden Lab Rescue dog ) age about 3yrs , seems to have an allergy to something .

I`ve had him 9 months and he has always scratched . He has been to the vet who recommended salmon and potato food .
That cleared a little fungal infection he had , but not the scratching .
He has been washed and groomed with tea tree oil .
I`ve changed his food every couple of weeks but the itching is constant .

He has been defleaed and wormed . Any other remedies out there I should try .

Rgds , Pat
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Itchy Dog ...

Post by Duncan Holmes »

I have switched to feeding raw in the last few months,

On the strength of what I have seen, i would never feed a dog anything else again.

My 8yo rottie has a new lease of life and is off her meds for arthritis, stopped scratching and is generally lot more content.

40%, minced carcass, 40% veg, 20% offal.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

a lot of these completes are grain based---dogs don't eat grains do they? and a lot are not comfortable eating it

get him on raw chicken, either wings or carcases or minced carcass---everything your dog needs is there, just give a bit of liver now and then

if he wont touch it then cook it slightly gradually reducing the cooking till he accepts it raw

wont hurt to chuck a bit of veg in---it must be minced/mashed for dogs to get anything out of it
bit of mackerel or sardine (tinned or raw) is good to mix with it

dog gets a better shiny coat
only half the s**t to shovel up
dogs aren't allergic to meat
teeth get a good work out chewing carcases and they cant bolt their food
its much cheaper than completes
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

It actually maybe allergy to the pollen. This year our dog has suddenly developed a mild pollen skin allergy.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Some vets are not so good with anything out of the ordinary, especially if its a country linked problem.
Have a VERY close look at where he is scratching!
10power eye glass or more, look for anything unusual especially little red dots about twice as thick as a hair.
If he has them its red spider mite, they will drive any dog mad especially so if he lives in the house.

Kevs advice is sound.
Feed flesh and limit it to six days out of seven, one day without food does no harm whatsoever.
Remember dogs are not designed to feed every day, they feed until they are full in the shortest possible time that is why they have a throat designed to 'bolt' food in large lumps.

All my dogs were workers and lived their whole lives outside sleeping in wheat straw and going through the dip after the sheep to keep summer problems at bay They were fed add lib on the largest sized Purina plus any flesh that came my way, they once consumed a whole donkey one winter (I was a farm manager so nosey neighbours were not a problem).
Contact your local Knackerman for a cheap supply of flesh (if they still exist in our oh so correct world)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

While I appreciate the advice above , I was hoping that there was an easier solution , before I go down that road .

Looking for perhaps an antihistamine tablet/liquid , oils or some over the counter item that some of you may have used .
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

royboy wrote: Fri Aug 24 2018 13:37 -
While I appreciate the advice above , I was hoping that there was an easier solution , before I go down that road .

Looking for perhaps an antihistamine tablet/liquid , oils or some over the counter item that some of you may have used .
Itchy dog usually boils down to parasites or allergies---most allergies are to what you wash his blanket in/what he sleeps on/ what he eats and /or a combination of them
fleabite allergy makes them scratch like feck, ear mite is easy to spot as they scratch their ears red raw, mange is easily spotted, sarcoptic mange isn't, still makes them itch.

if you don't want to change to raw then get them on tinned stuff ---and the cheaper ones like Chappie (if they still do it) are often the best, some have a high fish content, whiffs a bit but dogs love it, mix that with terrier biscuit (not Chum mixer type biscuit) and they will do nearly as well as if on raw
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Try SF50 powder (it's on ebay) on his food, improves the coat and skin and appeared to work on one of my Dobermans
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Go with kev and Duncan on this ... Raw is best all round, completes are padded out by stuff that in reality wouldn't constitute a dogs diet
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

My Boarder is a itchy little dog. They have a reputation that a good few are itchy dogs. She'll lick and rag herself raw. I tried for a full year the home served meat and veg only diet after some of the guys on here recommended it. Chicken/liver/hearts. Good to try it, but made no difference what-so-ever. Tried all the oils, potions and shampoo's in between. Sprayed the house to death to kill any mites. Nothing makes a difference.

She's been back a year now on a light baked chicken and veg dinner with anything left of our plates to consume. Same itchy dog for the last year!

It's not nice to see an itchy dog rag itself. Mine will rag it's ears, if her ears get bad it drives her nuts and she'll bite and lick herself raw in places. I wash her ears every two days and put aloe vera gel with tea tree oil on them. This helps keep on top of things plus a kick up the a**e when i catch her ragging.

My mate told me " she looks like a itchy dog, what do you expect" !

rob
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Emma Hamilton wrote: Wed Aug 29 2018 17:14 -
My Boarder is a itchy little dog. They have a reputation that a good few are itchy dogs. She'll lick and rag herself raw. I tried for a full year the home served meat and veg only diet after some of the guys on here recommended it. Chicken/liver/hearts. Good to try it, but made no difference what-so-ever. Tried all the oils, potions and shampoo's in between. Sprayed the house to death to kill any mites. Nothing makes a difference.

She's been back a year now on a light baked chicken and veg dinner with anything left of our plates to consume. Same itchy dog for the last year!

It's not nice to see an itchy dog rag itself. Mine will rag it's ears, if her ears get bad it drives her nuts and she'll bite and lick herself raw in places. I wash her ears every two days and put aloe vera gel with tea tree oil on them. This helps keep on top of things plus a kick up the a**e when i catch her ragging.

rob
Subliminal advertising, love it :laughs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

rob
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Wed Aug 29 2018 17:48 -

rob
:laughs: :laughs: :lies: :laughs: :laughs: :point:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Wed Aug 29 2018 17:48 -

rob
Is that what you call product placement :laughs:
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Post by Admau1 »

Cod liver oil! :thumbs:
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

We had a westie that did the same
And everything was tried just the same.
Shame to see as they look at you as if to say........help 😪
That Perkins !!! 😂
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

rob
Her sister is the same Rob, especially her ears, my daughter has her, I blame the sire as her mother isn't an itchy dog tbf.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

The westie we had my uncle had the brother and his wasn’t itchy like ours
That Perkins !!! 😂
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

My friend had a dog that was itchy
Turned out it was shake n vac in the carpets
That Perkins !!! 😂
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Look for red sores between the pads/claws and yeast smelling like scabs on the skin. Its a form of dermatitis.
Spicystealth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Spicystealth »

Look in to RAW FEEDING I have often see owners comment that their dogs allergies / itching stop when switching to raw , There are plenty of raw feeding FB sites with knowledgable vets/technicians/members who can advise , breed specific as well , some vets don’t like it but they are not educated in nutrition for dogs rather trained by the kibble supplier and sell the same product in the vets

It’s scary at the start as it’s alien to us to feed raw but the dogs quickly adapt to it and their digestive system is equipped to deal with raw , you feed based on your dogs weight , 80% meat ( lamb , chicken,rabbit,salmon, fish,beef, pork etc etc ) 10% bone 5/5% liver/offal , and it can be cheaper than kibble. , feed mika a Hungarian Vizsla for about £1 a day , but from Bulmers pet food

Don’t be put of by the old wives tails of taste blood will turn in to a rabid dog it’s crap , if you have health issues or young children as I do
as long as you adopt a cleaning regime you will be fine , no health issues for us and I’ve been feeding raw fir nearly 5 years

Look up stinky stuff as well which may help with skin allergies ,