Sheb

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
wid
Roach
Roach

Sheb

Post by wid »

Just picked her up at 20 weeks old, female red tail, bred by a friend of mine in Manchester, she's just under 3 lb so is a nice size, well pleased with her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Sheb

Post by Happy Hayes »

Silly question Wid
But how long before you can fly her .

Another silly question
What stops her just flying away from you
Regards
Tom
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

wid wrote: Sat Sep 08 2018 15:56 -
Just picked her up at 20 weeks old, female red tail, bred by a friend of mine in Manchester, she's just under 3 lb so is a nice size, well pleased with her.
B E A Utiful :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Happy Hayes wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 08:01 -
Silly question Wid

Another silly question
Regards
Tom
Hopefully she should be flying free in about 4/5 weeks time and entered on game shortly after, it's all about weight control so basically she will stay with me because she knows I have her food, in time as we bond she will start to look at me as her hunting partner and that me and the ferrits provide her with chases on rabbits. She will also be coming to work with me clearing pigeons from a couple of local factories
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 09:10 -

Cheers Alan
Thanks alan
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

wid wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 09:54 -
Happy Hayes wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 08:01 -
Silly question Wid

Another silly question
Regards
Tom
Hopefully she should be flying free in about 4/5 weeks time and entered on game shortly after, it's all about weight control so basically she will stay with me because she knows I have her food, in time as we bond she will start to look at me as her hunting partner and that me and the ferrits provide her with chases on rabbits. She will also be coming to work with me clearing pigeons from a couple of local factories
So that’s the secret,
Questions answered
Enjoy
Cheers Wid
Regards
Tom :handshake:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

wid wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 09:56 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Sep 10 2018 09:10 -

Cheers Alan
Thanks alan
Its something I have thought about getting into for a while but I must be able to afford the time so as to do it properly, I have always loved birds.
A chap I just went to France fishing with has about 6 birds including goshawks and a merlin and before we left I was lucky enough to say hello to them :thumbs:
In the past he has had golden eagles and such like!
I hope I didn't bore him too much asking about them :red: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Hopefully you will take the plunge and get yourself a bird Alan, I garante you won't regret it, this is my fifth bird and probably my last as I turned 50 this year and the birds can live over 30yrs in captivity.
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

Alan, I can find you plenty of Doves for your bird to prey on, so hurry up and get started. A Goshawk would be great, perhaps clear out a few cats as well
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

She's coming on well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

What a beautiful creature

May I ask how much you paid?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

wid wrote: Tue Sep 11 2018 16:10 -
Hopefully you will take the plunge and get yourself a bird Alan, I garante you won't regret it, this is my fifth bird and probably my last as I turned 50 this year and the birds can live over 30yrs in captivity.
Sorry missed this post Wid, I'm 51 very soon but my main thing agaist getting one is the time you would have to guarantee to put in so in a trypical week, what hours and why do you put into keeping a bird "properly"?
colinb wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 00:27 -
Alan, I can find you plenty of Doves for your bird to prey on, so hurry up and get started. A Goshawk would be great, perhaps clear out a few cats as well
"perhaps clear out a few cats as well"

You just wait till I tell Dawn on you! :afraid: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Ben wrote: Wed Sep 26 2018 23:35 -
What a beautiful creature

May I ask how much you paid?
Thanks Ben, I paid £400 for her mates rates as I've known the guy that bred her for a number of years, the females usually go for £450-£ 600 males £350-£450
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Sep 27 2018 06:31 -
Sorry missed this post Wid, I'm 51 very soon but my main thing agaist getting one is the time you would have to guarantee to put in so in a trypical week, what hours and why do you put into keeping a bird "properly"?

Cheers Alan
At the moment alan I'm spending 4-5 hours a day with her going for long walks through the fields and down lanes exposing her to everything that she will encounter in her life, cars, dogs, people etc. The trust is growing now, she's happy for me to touch her feet and beak and she's feeding confidently off the glove, hopefully this wkend she will fly short distances on a line perch to glove and by next wkend she will be flying free, all been well she will then be coming to work with me 3 days a week
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

wid wrote: Thu Sep 27 2018 19:00 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Sep 27 2018 06:31 -

Cheers Alan
At the moment alan I'm spending 4-5 hours a day with her going for long walks through the fields and down lanes exposing her to everything that she will encounter in her life, cars, dogs, people etc. The trust is growing now, she's happy for me to touch her feet and beak and she's feeding confidently off the glove, hopefully this wkend she will fly short distances on a line perch to glove and by next wkend she will be flying free, all been well she will then be coming to work with me 3 days a week
At around £400 a bird I may get half a dozen or so but at 4-5 hours of personal tine per day, I might not!
My mate said that at times he doesn't need to put much time in but I get the impression that like dog and cat owners, some are better than others!
Still it would have been nice to have one one day and we cant have it all!

Cheers Alan