Air Rifle Advice.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
piker66
Roach
Roach

Air Rifle Advice.

Post by piker66 »

My near 16 year old lad has been badgering me to get him an air rifle for target shooting. He has limited experience of shooting one with the Cadets.

I know absolutely nothing about air rifles at all, so any advice whatsoever on what to look for etc etc would be very welcome.
Thanks.
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Air Rifle Advice.

Post by Mike J »

Before buying anything the first and most important question is where is he going to discharge it?
The ideal solution is a dedicated Air Rifle Club where he can get instruction from club officials in all aspects, especially safety. With you knowing nothing about guns it would be a better solution than him (and you) than starting in your back garden.
If there isnt a club available ask in your nearest gun shop, many have target ranges where he can be taught the basics.

I would suggest a mid priced, break barrel and spring orerated with a safety catch, in 177 calibre and to begin with iron sights certainly not with a scope.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Take him to a club that does field target shooting there will most likely be a spring gun contingent that he will be able to shoot in, talk to the lads there and get the right gun for what he wants to do, as mike says 177 is the way to go as it has a flatter trajectory than a 22 and will allow him to shoot a little further, Weihrauch guns are probs your best bet.
piker66
Roach
Roach

Post by piker66 »

Thanks both.
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'd start with a springer, not necessarily a break barrel (but they are lighter to hold standing up than an underlever). Simply because if he doesn't really take to it, it's easy to sell on.

The initial expense of a PCP and associated kit can be quite high even for a modest set up.

My suggestion would be a second hand gun, loads in local gun shops but they like a decent profit on second hand sales.

Any of these would be good

https://www.southyorkshireairguns.co.uk ... -109-c.asp

The airsporter having proven itself for many years but readily affordable as an older gun. My mate still shoots one! Another BSA springer to keep an eye out for would be the buccaneer.

Learn target shooting with a .22 and you'll be a better shooter for it, just a little bit more drop of pellet to figure for. Especially if you intend to go hunting.

I'd agree to an axtent with Mike about open sights, learn the basics first, it's surprising how accurate open sights can be but I think you may struggle to find them on modern guns and scopes will soon follow anyway.

My choice of the three in the link would be the air arms! That link was the first site I clicked on from my book marks for second hand guns, I could have posted more quickly and easily but it's just an example!
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I didn't realise airsporters were worth that. :eek:
I gave mine away.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

Depends on the size of your boy too, the air arms Bob mentioned is a heavy old gun. If it's target only .177 is the way to go, cheaper pellets than .22 too. HW30 is a decent starter for not a lot.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

fergie68 wrote: Tue Jan 07 2020 21:18 -
I didn't realise airsporters were worth that. :eek:
I gave mine away.

I was surprised it was that "cheap"! I had a BSA buccaneer up until a few years ago, usually go for a few quid less than the airsporter. Mine went missing :neutral: :suspect: but the last one I saw for sale was £450 :shrug: :shrug:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

benelli wrote: Tue Jan 07 2020 21:37 -
Depends on the size of your boy too, the air arms Bob mentioned is a heavy old gun. If it's target only .177 is the way to go, cheaper pellets than .22 too. HW30 is a decent starter for not a lot.

You are quite right, I went off tack with my advice and stated my preference. Brilliant guns though!!!
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

I started shooting with a Webley pistol, cheap and easy to move around, I’d get him a second hand one and see if he’s into it, if he enjoys it then look at more expensive rifles.
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Get a relatively cheap one.
When I was 16 I had the same idea with guns.
My dad got me a gatt gun and my uncle gave me a sighted rifle.
After i shot targets and various other things like cans I got board and gave the rifle back to my uncle and sold the gatt gun to a friend, all this happened with in a month.

I'm glad I got it out my system but to be honest I was so excited at first to be getting a gun at 16 but like I said, I got board of it in a month and never bothered again
Born to fish but forced to work