Wind stopped play

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
wid
Roach
Roach

Wind stopped play

Post by wid »

Day out today the birds, we bolted 2 rabbits out of 2 different sets but the birds struggled in the strong winds and we ended up only staying out for an hour, they are an 7yr old harris a 2yr old and a 2019 juvenile, hopefully have some good days out in the next couple of months
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Wind stopped play

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

Would love to try that, never been out with the birds but I have tried just about every other fieldsport. I had a mate who flew goshawks and a golden eagle, some idiot shot the eagle on the moors, made the papers around here. Bird survived the fella who shot it was lucky as the handler is a handy bloke.
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north- ... le-4485644
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Probably the best rabbiter Ive ever seen was a Goshawk, but for maggies a Harris it the real deal.

It took a few trials for my guy to establish a working method but once found a single bird totally eliminated the resident populations and a single visit thereafter kept any incomers well in check.
We tried the same bird on Carrion Crows and it was only partially successful, when a Peregrine was employed no more crows.

As you know the biggest problem with flying in open countryside is potential disturbance of resident raptors, far better to leave a place untouched than cause a problem.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

benelli wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 12:19 -
Would love to try that, never been out with the birds but I have tried just about every other fieldsport. I had a mate who flew goshawks and a golden eagle, some idiot shot the eagle on the moors, made the papers around here. Bird survived the fella who shot it was lucky as the handler is a handy bloke.
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north- ... le-4485644
Unbelievable mate, do you know if the bird made a full recovery.
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Mike J wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 12:29 -
Probably the best rabbiter Ive ever seen was a Goshawk, but for maggies a Harris it the real deal.

It took a few trials for my guy to establish a working method but once found a single bird totally eliminated the resident populations and a single visit thereafter kept any incomers well in check.
We tried the same bird on Carrion Crows and it was only partially successful, when a Peregrine was employed no more crows.

As you know the biggest problem with flying in open countryside is potential disturbance of resident raptors, far better to leave a place untouched than cause a problem.
Im thinking of having a goshawk this year mike, the price of them has dropped a lot in the last few years making them much more affordable, in the picture I'm the scruffy guy in the ripped jeans, the bird I've got is a working bird clearing feral pigeons mainly from inside factories which presents problems, she is absolute dynamite, best bird I've ever flown indoors
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

wid wrote: Mon Jan 13 2020 10:50 -

Im thinking of having a goshawk this year mike, the price of them has dropped a lot in the last few years making them much more affordable, in the picture I'm the scruffy guy in the ripped jeans, the bird I've got is a working bird clearing feral pigeons mainly from inside factories which presents problems, she is absolute dynamite, best bird I've ever flown indoors

If youve never seen a Gos go for a bunny near a bramble patch you will be in for a surprise when you do.
It goes at it like an exoset! Up to your arm pit soon becomes the norm for dragging the damn things out.
For my guy I would put out a few fence posts and Gos would sit there waiting, he would sit back with binos and watch the bird simply because it would always see the bunny first.
We also tried it on my moorhens but it spent more time drying out that flying, it would just barrel into the reeds as if they didnt exist, brilliant birds, very effective and tough as nails.

Like many places we have nesting Perigines which do a very good job keeping down many the feral pigeons but our hospital still has to use a Harris to keep them away.

All the best with your birds and keep up the good work :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 13 2020 11:21 -

If youve never seen a Gos go for a bunny near a bramble patch you will be in for a surprise when you do.
It goes at it like an exoset! Up to your arm pit soon becomes the norm for dragging the damn things out.
For my guy I would put out a few fence posts and Gos would sit there waiting, he would sit back with binos and watch the bird simply because it would always see the bunny first.
We also tried it on my moorhens but it spent more time drying out that flying, it would just barrel into the reeds as if they didnt exist, brilliant birds, very effective and tough as nails.

Like many places we have nesting Perigines which do a very good job keeping down many the feral pigeons but our hospital still has to use a Harris to keep them away.

why fly at moorhens Mike? one of the most innocuous water birds we have
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Jan 13 2020 12:59 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 13 2020 11:21 -

why fly at moorhens Mike? one of the most innocuous water birds we have

Agreed Kev.
It was at my employers instruction, circa,1970's, the same time coot shoots were organised on some of our larger stillwaters.