If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Sheep dogs for sale

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:45 -
Chickens isn't the Pope known as the top dog so to speak? :grin:

Auctioneers are real entertainers if they are good, been to a few over the years when my old man was in the "meat game". Part showman, part swindler. Not too dissimilar to the old market traders.
Chickens? Popes? You've lost me there! :dizzy:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:52 -

Auctioneers are real entertainers if they are good, been to a few over the years when my old man was in the "meat game". Part showman, part swindler. Not too dissimilar to the old market traders.
I read an article years back about people showing chickens. And the best of the breed in a particular category was known as the "Pope". :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:54 -

I read an article years back about people showing chickens. And the best of the breed in a particular category was known as the "Pope". :thumbs:
Ah. Nothing to do with barbel then! :grin:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:58 -
Monts wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:54 -

Ah. Nothing to do with barbel then! :grin:

I did years back, think about doing something with the info. Good spot. :laughs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

The 'Collie Story' has made a few headlines today in the press. Apparently Megan was bought by a Wagyu beef cattle farmer from Oklahoma. He also stumped up £216,000 for a Wagyu heifer the other week. Im sure the dog would prefer to stay in blighty mind you.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Mon Feb 24 2020 11:14 -
The 'Collie Story' has made a few headlines today in the press. Apparently Megan was bought by a Wagyu beef cattle farmer from Oklahoma. He also stumped up £216,000 for a Wagyu heifer the other week. Im sure the dog would prefer to stay in blighty mind you.
Sounds like Loadsamoney mentality. They could get a perfectly good working dog for a lot less. I hope the new owner knows how to handle it.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Mon Feb 24 2020 11:30 -
Sounds like Loadsamoney mentality. They could get a perfectly good working dog for a lot less. I hope the new owner knows how to handle it.

I wonderd about if he could handle the dog. The shepherdess as you probably know wrote 'One Girl and Her Dogs' back in 2013. Best do some fecking work mesen.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Mon Feb 24 2020 11:39 -

I wonderd about if he could handle the dog. The shepherdess as you probably know wrote 'One Girl and Her Dogs' back in 2013. Best do some fecking work mesen.
Aye, she's one of the celebrity shepherd/ess clan.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

What one :-( to go with the 1/2 collie...
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

davelumb wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 16:06 -
Rob1980 wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 15:09 -
davelumb wrote:
Rob1980 wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 12:25 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 12:19 -
Rob1980 wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 11:18 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 11:10 -
Rob1980 wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 09:58 -
Jeffire wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 05:46 -
davelumb wrote: Sat Feb 22 2020 09:47 -
I should have hung on. The record price was broken again after I left. 18,000 guineas!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ccm.auctions/p ... &__tn__=-R
Thats £18,900 ! Racehorses are still sold in guineas .
Don't always believe that the price farm livestock makes at these top sales is the price actually paid, thes a lot of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours goes on to keep prices up at times, also the buyer can receive a big chunk of "luck money" from the seller.
That certainly goes on, but I don't know how it would work with a phone bidder from the USA in the case of dogs. You can't go and stuff a wad of notes in their hand in the car park!
Very true Dave, I couldn't agree more, some off them are genuine prices, or may be purchased by a small group off people to use as an investment, hence the prices can rocket as a group off four or five have more buying power than a single person, auctioneers also know this and a good auctioneer can run the price up with false bids, more commission for him.
It's certainly a fascinatiing world for an outsider. :smile:

Friday's sale might make it to the TV.

7511958-13,large.1582313856.jpg
It is Dave, you can't beat a good auction, and a good auctioneer is entertaining to watch, it's a very skilled job tbh.
I love the auctioneer banter too. :grin:
Yup which auctions do you go to Dave? Have you been to pure breed poultry sale yet, they are an eye opener, not only the people that go but the price off fancy hens!!
It was pure bred poultry where I got the bug back in 2013! Shows first then auctions. I've got to know quite a few in 'the fancy' now and had pics published in Fancy Fowl magazine. But sheep and sheep dogs are taking over these days. I'm a bit burnt out with chickens. :laughs:

https://photo.dlst.co.uk/sets/poulltry-please/
Been meaning to ask you for a while Dave if you've been to see anyone at R & E Bamfords near where you are? One of the company owners are into show Bantams.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 09:56 -

Been meaning to ask you for a while Dave if you've been to see anyone at R & E Bamfords near where you are? One of the company owners are into show Bantams.
Bamford's sponsor the local bantam society and it's where I buy my bird seed and hemp from. They're into racing pigeons too. :smile:
_7520785.jpg
_7502429.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I would expect the dog will go with a whole sheaf of ownership instructions or possibly the owner will accompany the dog to see she is settled in with commands she understands.

This is a really odd combination, a Japanese beef animal that has never been worked by an English collie, which might never have worked cattle, receiving commands from an American farmer.

In truth she was probably purchased for breeding.
(and if we look what they did to our Herefords our dog breeders will need to look out).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 10:52 -

I would expect the dog will go with a whole sheaf of ownership instructions or possibly the owner will accompany the dog to see she is settled in with commands she understands.

This is a really odd combination, a Japanese beef animal that has never been worked by an English collie, which might never have worked cattle, receiving commands from an American farmer.

In truth she was probably purchased for breeding.
(and if we look what they did to our Herefords our dog breeders will need to look out).
Agree the dog was probably bought for breeding. Or status.

Collies have been exported to the USA, Canada and the rest of the world for decades. They still come to the UK for the best. :wink:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 10:02 -

Bamford's sponsor the local bantam society and it's where I buy my bird seed and hemp from. They're into racing pigeons too. :smile:

_7520785.jpg_7502429.jpg
They are one of my suppliers Dave, I get a few pallets of mainly pigeon corn from them every week.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 14:44 -

_7520785.jpg_7502429.jpg
They are one of my suppliers Dave, I get a few pallets of mainly pigeon corn from them every week.
Crikey. How many pigeons do you have? :joker:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 17:33 -

_7520785.jpg_7502429.jpg
None Dave, it's my 'real' job - I sell pet & animal food when I'm not messing about with lures & fishing tackle.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 19:51 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 26 2020 17:33 -

_7520785.jpg_7502429.jpg
None Dave, it's my 'real' job - I sell pet & animal food when I'm not messing about with lures & fishing tackle.
:thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

According to the Farmers Guardian report Megan's buyer is a farmer and businessman who is going to run the dog in trials and use her as a work dog.