Conversations with dogs.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Conversations with dogs.

Post by John Milford »

I sometimes think it is a pity that dogs don't have the capacity to vocalise, because they certainly have the capacity to understand ordinary English!

My dog just looked at me with his 'I want to play' face.

"Where are your toys"? I asked him.

(He has a quick look around the room).

"They're not here, they're in your bed"! I tell him.

(Immediately trots off to his bed and comes back with a toy)

"Not your clonky bone", I tell him, "get your silly bone".

(Drops hard nylon bone, trots off again and returns with soft squeaky bone!).

All of this in a normal conversational tone of voice - not tutored 'commands'.

He's got a dozen or more toys, all with different names. If I ask him to get a specific toy, he usually comes back with the right one. Not every time, but I bet it's more than seven out of ten times - (and when it's the 'wrong' one, it's usually because the 'right' one was burried in his bed!).

I'm quite sure he's not the only one . . . . . :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Conversations with dogs.

Post by Mike J »

John
Try giving him commands without speaking the words, just 'say' the words in your head, you will find your dog is more tuned into what your thinking than you might believe.
I used it for five generations of my dogs, I called it my invisiable lead.

While living with my parents I was absent from my dogs for an indeterminate period, one day my Father noticed my dogs were at the end of their run looking up at my bedroom window and he told my Mother I would be home soon. Although I was 1500miles away it was around the same time I had started to plan my first day out with my dogs and gun.

The wife of a friend who was a pilot always knew when he was coming home because his dogs would run out into their garden and look up at a jet passing over even though they lived on a flightpath to a major airport with jets regularly passing over.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

John Milford wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 13:00 -
I sometimes think it is a pity that dogs don't have the capacity to vocalise, because they certainly have the capacity to understand ordinary English!

My dog just looked at me with his 'I want to play' face.

"Where are your toys"? I asked him.

(He has a quick look around the room).

"They're not here, they're in your bed"! I tell him.

(Immediately trots off to his bed and comes back with a toy)

"Not your clonky bone", I tell him, "get your silly bone".

(Drops hard nylon bone, trots off again and returns with soft squeaky bone!).

All of this in a normal conversational tone of voice - not tutored 'commands'.

He's got a dozen or more toys, all with different names. If I ask him to get a specific toy, he usually comes back with the right one. Not every time, but I bet it's more than seven out of ten times - (and when it's the 'wrong' one, it's usually because the 'right' one was burried in his bed!).

I'm quite sure he's not the only one . . . . . :shrug:
Ruby, knows the difference between tug, ball, piggie and monkey toys. 7 out of 10 is about right for her as well.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 13:16 -
John
Try giving him commands without speaking the words, just 'say' the words in your head, you will find your dog is more tuned into what your thinking than you might believe.

While living with my parents I was absent from my dogs for an indeterminate period, one day my Father noticed my dogs were at the end of their run looking up at my bedroom window and he told my Mother I would be home soon. Although I was 1500miles away it was around the same time I had started to plan my first day out with my dogs and gun.

The wife of a friend who was a pilot always knew when he was coming home because his dogs would run out into their garden and look up at a jet passing over even though they lived on a flightpath to a major airport with jets regularly passing over.
Hmmmmm! Strong with the Force you are . . . . :nev: :clown:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

John Milford wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 14:29 -
John

Dont dismiss what you have not evaluated :madmick:

Even an old dog is capable of learning new tricks.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 14:36 -
John

I'm not dismissing what you say at all Mike, simply joking about it.

I believe humans still have a latent 'sixth sense', but it has been suppressed by our development of complex language.

The non-verbal 'instinctive' communication of animals is something we dismiss without even thinking it through. Mass migration of birds, the collective 'hive' intelligence of insects, animals born 'hard wired' knowing how to survive in hostile niche environments where others can't . . . .
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 14:55 -
John

I believe humans still have a latent 'sixth sense', but it has been suppressed by our development of complex language.

The non-verbal 'instinctive' communication of animals is something we dismiss without even thinking it through. Mass migration of birds, the collective 'hive' intelligence of insects, animals born 'hard wired' knowing how to survive in hostile niche environments where others can't . . . .
"animals born 'hard wired' knowing how to survive in hostile niche environments where others can't"

And then there are sheep... Born hard wired to find new and baffling ways to die!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 15:15 -
John

"animals born 'hard wired' knowing how to survive in hostile niche environments where others can't"

And then there are sheep... Born hard wired to find new and baffling ways to die!

Born hard wired to find new and baffling ways to die! Your telling me!

It seems to be their lifes ambition, especially if its in the most awkward of places and at the worst time for their owner!
I once had a fat lamb dive headlong into a fence post to kill itself, right infront of some visitors. (Quickly hurried away so it could be bled).
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 15:30 -
John

Born hard wired to find new and baffling ways to die! Your telling me!

It seems to be their lifes ambition, especially if its in the most awkward of places and at the worst time for their owner!
I once had a fat lamb dive headlong into a fence post to kill itself, right infront of some visitors. (Quickly hurried away so it could be bled).
:laughs:

Everyone who keeps sheep says the same!

Tony Iley tells a tale in a book about him doing a sheep dog demonstration at a big show when one of the sheep lay down dead near the end. he casually walked over, draped it round his shoulders and left the arena to resounding applause. The audience thought it was part of the show! :giggle:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

This triggered something I read years ago, I think it was in the Farmers Weekly but anyway there was a collection of stories about Sheep and it was titled something like “ingenious ways that sheep find to kill themselves”
One thing you notice about fields that sheep frequent is the lack of brambles in the hedges. Sheep get so entangled that they pull all the brambles out, some get happy and die trying !
Water tanks - imagine a Ram Lamb in a water tank, upside down with all four legs sticking up and it’s head wedged solid up under the steel ballcock guard panel.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 16:46 -
This triggered something I read years ago, I think it was in the Farmers Weekly but anyway there was a collection of stories about Sheep and it was titled something like “ingenious ways that sheep find to kill themselves”
One thing you notice about fields that sheep frequent is the lack of brambles in the hedges. Sheep get so entangled that they pull all the brambles out, some get happy and die trying !
Water tanks - imagine a Ram Lamb in a water tank, upside down with all four legs sticking up and it’s head wedged solid up under the steel ballcock guard panel.

I had a scots halfbred ewe that somehow managed to get its head under the bottom of a hay feeder and the tray underneath, a gap of less than 6", then throw itself upside down to break its neck.
How it did it I will never know as I had to cut it damn head off to get the body free!

Dont get me wrong I love sheep over other stock and in another life I would have a flock in an instant, as long as the pastures had some natural water. boundaries.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I think sheep are closet 'adrenalin junkies'.

https://youtu.be/fnDLQlcPeGA
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Sun Mar 15 2020 18:28 -

I think sheep are closet 'adrenalin junkies'.

https://youtu.be/fnDLQlcPeGA
They like a bit of fun
Bob Barker
Perch
Perch

Post by Bob Barker »

Dogs talking?
DogJokeAlert.jpg
...don't they just.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

"Sheep get so entangled that they pull all the brambles out, some get happy and die trying ! "

This one survived....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

davelumb wrote: Thu Mar 19 2020 17:21 -
"Sheep get so entangled that they pull all the brambles out, some get happy and die trying ! "

This one survived....

I was perfectly happy in here until you came along and scuppered my plans !!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu Mar 19 2020 19:48 -
davelumb wrote: Thu Mar 19 2020 17:21 -

This one survived....

I was perfectly happy in here until you came along and scuppered my plans !!
:laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It was well dug in!

Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

“It was well dug in”
Genetic imprinting, years and years of breading and finally they have learned to avoid :leighton:

On a serious note, were there any Lambs about ? Few about down here but it’s very wet on the ground.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

.....and years and years of inbreeding causes bad grammar. Breading :red:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu Mar 19 2020 20:15 -
“It was well dug in”
Genetic imprinting, years and years of breading and finally they have learned to avoid :leighton:

On a serious note, were there any Lambs about ? Few about down here but it’s very wet on the ground.
There was one pair of twins in the next field. Not sure if this lot are in lamb or not.

The main sheep farm round here seems to have finished lambing. They're about two/three weeks old now - and filthy with mud. It'll be next month before lambs appear on the moors and fells though.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

It’s wet about but at least it’s mild this spring. I think it was spring 2018 that saw lots of lambs lost. persistent sleet killed loads of newborns down our way and it happened so fast.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

That was the Beast from the East.

Not seen any lambs with macs on this year, so must be better conditions.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Had a cocker who would run to the back door and sit waiting
5 minutes before the mrs came in and vice versa if it was me. Not at any regular time.
My bull dog knows what time I shut shop and let's me know if I'm late doing so