Long nets, Hares and stardom

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Long nets, Hares and stardom

Post by Stewlaws »

Going back to the early 90's I became friends with a chap who was a bit of an oddity, firstly I use the 'term' friends quite loosely, the person in question didn't really have friends , he once said 'if I ever win the lottery I will throw a big party and invite all my friends, and by that I mean true friends, I'll hold it in a phone box' (remember those red things now taken up by defibrillators or book exchanges!?)
That one statement by him probably summed Bob up, he trusted no person other than his son, and had an absolute disdain for wealth or classes, which was a paradox in itself as I met Bob on the shooting field, for those unaware and reading this, the shooting field on driven game was quite elitist though that aspect has changed over the last 30 plus years in so much that the field is made up of all walks of life now.

Bob was a quiet chap, observing and rarely commenting openly, when he did speak he was cutting and acerbic, often uncomplimentary but a character non the less.
He told me he was an alcoholic that hadn't drank for 25 plus years, but that every day was a battle, he was a violent drunk who surprisingly stood at around 5'4" appx, never ever worked and would say he worked for her majesty and did very well out of it.

He ran greyhounds, was hard on his dogs ( he would run 7-8 spaniel's on a shoot, these dogs would be cowered in their demeanor but worked well and never range'd far, spaniel's often pull forward; Bob's were dervishes around his feet, which for those that know working dogs would probably understand their handler was hard on them).

A discussion was being held one day about Bob in his absence, the headkeeper remarked he was sceptical in Bob's story of longnetting, for those of you with a certain age or standing will be aware of longnetting, it's a past time of setting a long net of appx 100 yrds, historically made of hemp but in later years nylon ( a cheap alternative but nasty material which picks up all the crap lying around or the slightest briar straggling)

I've attempted longnetting, this would normally have been conducted on a stormier evening, you peg out the nets, using hazle spars and lift the net, the rabbits (usually the quarry for this technique) then go back under darkness, drop the net which has a pocket of loose/excess net which the resulting rabbits will tangle or enmesh themselves in when spooked back into the safety of their burys.

The times I did it was pure farcical, the nets snagged, we could never set the net without unpicking the longnet ( imagine braid unspooled in a Hessian sack) .... My long net was consigned to the shed, the .22 and lamp was the preferred method and far easier!

Bob had passed comment on hare catching by which he use to catch hundreds in years gone by, using 7-8 longnets set then hares driven into these positions, from a team of beaters walking up miles of fields (often conducted on Salisbury plains, MOD land and for those that know, home to large numbers of our native brown Hare, fields on the plains are often measured in 100,s of acres and lend itself to prime habitat)

Well we got an invite to go catching, sure enough we all met up, unsure what to expect and with a chap who was nonplussed and apathetic to the day ahead.
Bundles of hazle spars were pulled from the truck, 3-4' long with several Hessian sacks of hemp longnets.... Now the guys who I went with had all experienced my own similar attempt at long netting, we had an open mind though on this.

Never would I see another day like that, the spars were pushed into the ground, as quick they walked it was every 15 yrds, then a chap trailed the net equally as quick over the spar, within 15 min the team had set 800 yrds of nets, with backdrop of hedge to lay in wait, here we sat/hunched not sure what to expect.

We all marvelled later at how quick these nets were set and picked up to move, it was seamless and devastating in its operation.

The longest time was waiting for miles of plains to be brought in by dozens of beaters using flags, when all of a sudden hares started tentatively going the 'purse' of the net, these captives would be carefully untangled in a quick movement and placed into holding crates behind the hedge, on the day we repeated this 4-5 times and ended up with near on 100 hares,iirc 87 ...

The crates for holding were different to the freight crates they were placed in prior to transportation, imagine an 'after eight box chocolate' but with hares in not a wafer thin mint!
The hares once boxed would not move, each end had a trap door sliding up n down, you would marry up the holding box to the transportation box, sliding requisite door up\down accordingly.
Bob watched me pushing this hare and getting no where, the captive hare despite being pushed was not budging....'blow' came the command from Bob.
My response was quizzical and mindful others had joined us, unsure what to do, a few laughed and then Bob told me to get out the way, he proceeded to drop to his knees and put his lips to this Hares ass ....giving it a big puff, the hare shot into the resulting transportation box.

These hares went to Qatar, they made their way on diplomatic flights, hunted by the royals using falcons in the desert ...

I did do another few days over the years with Bob, nothing on the level of what I experienced that day but the last one we did was for Johnny kingdom wild life program, but that was another experience on a whole new level, it went out on ITV and my only claim to fame, Hollywood didn't come knocking, but I did manage to grab Johnny's c*ck on camera, never seen him speechless prior to that....😁

Bob is no longer with us, but he did write a book during his latter years, 'The last English poacher' he certainly was an odd guy.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Re: Long nets, Hares and stardom

Post by Will Smith »

Interesting read Stew, it won't be long before these methods are long forgotten, would have liked to seen that, I have never had any experience of long netting.

Will
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Interesting read Stew, it won't be long before these methods are long forgotten, would have liked to seen that, I have never had any experience of long netting.
Why did you grab his 'old man' ?

Will
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Oh I remember the nights with longdogs and a redeye lamp for the rabbits or call the reds in with a bit of polystyrene on a bit of glass.

Redeye and a sack in the low trees pheasants a plenty or horse hair through some pigeon food or chick peas pick the pheasants up after a few hours (a pheasant cannot regurgitate a chick pea with a horse hair through it they just flap about going now where)

Stick ferret poo in the holes of a rabbit warren at night and 9 times out of 10 they will be sat outside in the morning

I had 4 nice small ferrets :thumbs: big ones are no good they hold the rabbit down the hole.

I used to hunt with the Bickrton Beagles (Hares run in a figure of 8) and the Coniston fox hounds.

And I got into terriers for the reds.

Those where the days :thumbs:

Even now I sometimes go out at night on the links when theres a light breeze and no moon with some polystyrene and a bit of glass with the wind in my face and call the reds in. bang the light on and sometimes see 2 or 3 sets of eyes its funny how close a red will come to you :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Many thanks Stew :handshake:
It's always good to read about someone's country past.

Ive never used long or gate nets but I have used a Bat Folding net :grin:

Over 40yds I could run down a bunny as a nipper or get them with a briar or belly flopping, with wires while nightwalking and legally with ferrets.
Later I used my terriers for bagging or the blade, or for Max'm BB's, killed so many that when I was farming only the Harriers would take my fallen stock but I always got an invite to their Hunt Balls and keeper's dinner.

In my work I have called many a fox for students and photographers, but never with poly, all just by mouth.
I knew someone who sat with their back to a tree to practice and charlie came up behind and looked over his shoulder!

Never tried to tickle a trout so would love to hear from anyone who has, or seen it done.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Having Grant mention the poly on glass made me smile, we use to call in all the time and foxing was recreational as well as for the purpose of control, always free hand, nowadays I do have inch square of poly in my bedroom window which I use to call in any foxes( lucky to have 30 acres as a backdrop ) .... It amuses me to call them in, especially the cubs which come racing across the open ground, one thing I have noticed is often in 2-3s one cub will often hold back, I've often wondered if this was either a dog or a vixen, always lean towards a vixen but without dropping it I will never know as it stands.

Foxing has changed, thermal imaging is the preferred method and deadly with it, no lamp shy foxes around here, just dead ones such is the efficiency of thermal.
Makes for dull viewing though as only the shooter will see the target prior to any trigger pull.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 12:55 -

Over 40yds I could run down a bunny as a nipper or get them with a briar or belly flopping, with wires while nightwalking and legally with ferrets.
Later I used my terriers for bagging or the blade, or for Max'm BB's, killed so many that when I was farming only the Harriers would take my fallen stock but I always got an invite to their Hunt Balls and keeper's dinner.

In my work I have called many a fox for students and photographers, but never with poly, all just by mouth.
I knew someone who sat with their back to a tree to practice and charlie came up behind and looked over his shoulder!

Never tried to tickle a trout so would love to hear from anyone who has, or seen it done.
Always thought trout tickling was mythical Mike, heard plenty of anecdotes but never a first hand experience.... Unicorn or fact??
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Some of the mad things Ive done and the results.

A fox trap to fit up against the pop hole inside a hen house with hens as livebait - the hens went off lay.
Set a snare on a giant bender to see if it would be a more efficient method - yes it was but caught the wrong victim.
Used a couple of boxes of no; 7s trying to disrupt a huge starling roost - complete failure and 100 hoppers that foxes dont eat.
Had a dug fox slip my grip, resorted to swinging it around my head by a back leg to stop it getting me - unorthodox but it worked.
Couldnt help for laughing when a ringer grabbed a netted blackbird and it mophed into a male sparrowhawk - drove him to hospital though.
Ironed a stubborn terrier into a muddy track when it refused to get away from the tractor wheels - it survived and was never a problem after.
Bare ams through an electic netting fence with a student told not to switch it on until told - no they didnt and yes it did!

Daft or what :laughs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 13:55 -

Always thought trout tickling was mythical Mike, heard plenty of anecdotes but never a first hand experience.... Unicorn or fact??

Ive met people who say they've done it.

Wheres Mr Lumb, he will know for sure. :lumby:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 15:12 -
Some of the mad things Ive done and the results.

A fox trap to fit up against the pop hole inside a hen house with hens as livebait - the hens went off lay.
Set a snare on a giant bender to see if it would be a more efficient method - yes it was but caught the wrong victim.
Used a couple of boxes of no; 7s trying to disrupt a huge starling roost - complete failure and 100 hoppers that foxes dont eat.
Had a dug fox slip my grip, resorted to swinging it around my head by a back leg to stop it getting me - unorthodox but it worked.
Couldnt help for laughing when a ringer grabbed a netted blackbird and it mophed into a male sparrowhawk - drove him to hospital though.
Ironed a stubborn terrier into a muddy track when it refused to get away from the tractor wheels - it survived and was never a problem after.
Bare ams through an electic netting fence with a student told not to switch it on until told - no they didnt and yes it did!

Daft or what :laughs:

Haha ....

Remember a phone call asking if screw drivers or pliers handy, (in the woods putting up a new release pen) one of the syndicate members had found a buzzard under a power line, picked it up and it locked into his hand with the talons ...

Remember ferreting a bury in the middle of a field a series of holes shared equally by badgers and rabbits over the are, 2 gills went in and two foxes came out, there was 3 of us there shooting and not one put his gun up....

I worked for Bernard Mathews brother in the 80's at Andover on the cholderton estate, he came over to look at some birds in the old stable complex, we set fenns along the walls as rats were an issue, to mitigate feather pecking we reared under darkness for the first 3-4 weeks before into night shelters ... John Mathews brought his red setter 'lucy' with him in an open top Porsche with his girlfriend at the time, who's name evades me now, anyway asked John to keep Lucy out as the traps were set, he ignored that and we all went in the stable block, the poults were on shavings,the opening of the door spooked the thousands of poults who all flew up and until the dust settled it was mayhem, all of a sudden Lucy yelped, then John's girlfriend screamed, turns out the dog stepped on the trap, then bit the girlfriend, both dog and girlfriend were yelping and crying, I recall the Porsche careering down the driveway with a fuming John and a crying girlfriend with Lucy sat in the back, we laughed, once they gone.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Most rats shot with a single shot was 17 in a feed trough ....the shot angle collected up a whole load feeding on cattle cake.

Most rats shot over 3 evenings was 847 iirc on a pig unit, used a .22 rimfire but with CB longs in it,the rifle was zeroed as these rounds were so low powered but ideal for indoor units but worth the effort of recalibration against this type of shooting.

Most unusual thing I shot was a terrier cross from the bedroom window with a .243 this dog had taken a pregnant ewe down and was savaging it, later transpired the owner was warned as the same dog was suspected of chasing ewes around which lead to 12 aborted lambs on my neighbouring farm.

Most flukiest shot was a mouse in a grain dryer, we descended on this for ratting, around a dozen of us entered this grain store, I took a Webley junior pistol with me, in front of everyone I took a running shot on this mouse and shot it, stone dead, the most unluckiest mouse alive that day, all of 30 ft .... everyone marvelled at my prowess, the only time that pistol took a life.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Most stupidity in 60seconds was emptying a banana clip 22shots of phosphorus tipped 38gr rimfire ammunition at a running fox on a foggy dark night, on a new bit of ground we got (my firearms license was open so anywhere with permission) went back the following day and before us lay an entire village as a backdrop, didn't sleep for days after that, anyone who knows tracer rounds will understand why!
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Well Stew, 'stupidity' was a good word to describe that moment of madness, jeez man :roll: .

Will.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Yep ... My only mitigating factor was I was 20 something, I'm sure there are some strikes on those houses somewhere!
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 15:14 -

As a youngster I used to regularly 'tickle' trout in my local stream, not the way that you see in books like Oor Wulley when they just hang over the bank and a fish swims into their hands but, never the less my method was quite successful.
My MO was to find a large stone with enough space under it for the trout to swim under, some of these stones were quite large and had two or three entrances/exits. I would lie or kneel on the top of the stone and slowly put my hand into one of the entrance holes, you had to go very slowly or you would spook the fish, gently, gently, feeling your way around under the stone you would eventually feel a fish and then stroking/touching very gently get your fingers around it until you have a good chance of holding it, then squeeze and grip and pull them out as quickly as possible and throw straight onto the bank. I found it best to trap them up against the underside of the stone which gave you time (if necessary) to adjust your grip before pulling them out, and I am sure that I will have had repeat tickle captures :laughs: .
Almost all of them went back, it was just a bit of fun for me at the time and I was quite good at it, I kept one or two of the better ones for me Mam to cook for me tea :thumbs: Yum.
Funny thing is, I could go to the same stones now and I bet there are still trout under them who would no doubt be the progeny of the ones I used to catch :wink: .
Will.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 16:48 -
Most stupidity in 60seconds was emptying a banana clip 22shots of phosphorus tipped 38gr rimfire ammunition at a running fox on a foggy dark night, on a new bit of ground we got (my firearms license was open so anywhere with permission) went back the following day and before us lay an entire village as a backdrop, didn't sleep for days after that, anyone who knows tracer rounds will understand why!
WOW when on exercise we would practice warfair and at night where do you think the enemy is and a voice would say watch my tracer as he fired into the target banks :laughs:

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Will Smith wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 17:46 -

As a youngster I used to regularly 'tickle' trout in my local stream, not the way that you see in books like Oor Wulley when they just hang over the bank and a fish swims into their hands but, never the less my method was quite successful.
My MO was to find a large stone with enough space under it for the trout to swim under, some of these stones were quite large and had two or three entrances/exits. I would lie or kneel on the top of the stone and slowly put my hand into one of the entrance holes, you had to go very slowly or you would spook the fish, gently, gently, feeling your way around under the stone you would eventually feel a fish and then stroking/touching very gently get your fingers around it until you have a good chance of holding it, then squeeze and grip and pull them out as quickly as possible and throw straight onto the bank. I found it best to trap them up against the underside of the stone which gave you time (if necessary) to adjust your grip before pulling them out, and I am sure that I will have had repeat tickle captures :laughs: .
Almost all of them went back, it was just a bit of fun for me at the time and I was quite good at it, I kept one or two of the better ones for me Mam to cook for me tea :thumbs: Yum.
Funny thing is, I could go to the same stones now and I bet there are still trout under them who would no doubt be the progeny of the ones I used to catch :wink: .
Will.

Wow Will, take a big bow infront of the whole Pit. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
I doubt there will be many, if any, that can better such a catch.
Something in the backmof my mind told me tickling was more a Northern thing thats why my first thought was Lumby.

Thanks for the reply and if, when all this CV is over how about you make a return visit to those stones and get the tickling down on film for the sake of posterity.
Maybe someone like Hugh Miles would be interested, it would certainly be a first for sure.

:handshake:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Nice thread gents, I've not been ferreting for years but it was a good day out.

One of my favourite non-fishing books is this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walked-Night-P ... 1904784224
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 18:03 -
Will Smith wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 17:46 -

Will.

Wow Will, take a big bow infront of the whole Pit. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
I doubt there will be many, if any, that can better such a catch.
Something in the backmof my mind told me tickling was more a Northern thing thats why my first thought was Lumby.

Thanks for the reply and if, when all this CV is over how about you make a return visit to those stones and get the tickling down on film for the sake of posterity.
Maybe someone like Hugh Miles would be interested, it would certainly be a first for sure.

:handshake:
I have often thought about it Mike, I have many fond memories of those days down the 'Fords' as we used to call the place, maybe one day before my hands get too arthritic to grab the little slippy little beggers :wink: .

Will.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Having a think back I think my uncle used to thread a line through the pigeon food or chick pea with the horse hair and peg it :scratch:

It was 30 odd years ago and things have faded with time :eek:

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Crackoff wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 23:57 -
Having a think back I think my uncle used to thread a line through the pigeon food or chick pea with the horse hair and peg it :scratch:

There are all sorts of methods that do work on long tails, when there is deep snow the raisin in the hole certainly does, but getting them drunk on raisins soaked in alcohol I have never tried, why its always raisins I dont know.
Never heard of this horsehair method until here, I dress some of my flies using tail and mane horsehair and wouldn't have thought is was stiff enough to cause a problem sufficient to such a big bird, however I accept whats been said at face value until proved otherwise

[quote="Will Smith
I have often thought about it Mike, I have many fond memories of those days down the 'Fords' as we used to call the place, maybe one day before my hands get too arthritic to grab the little slippy little beggers :wink: .

Will..
[/quote]

Hi Will
I dont know Hugh Miles personally but see him about sometimes, when I next see him I will ask if he would be interested? Could be fun for both of you :grin:
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

A couple of old mates used to be pretty decent with the long nets but by far my favourite was netting partridge with drag nets, this involved dragging a net held between two lads, the back edge of the net was weighted slightly to keep it down the front was kept shoulder high so it didn't spook the birds before the net had covered them, as the back of the net approached the birds they took off, the front was dropped thus trapping them, sometimes a whole covey, I think our record was 13 birds in one drop, hard graft and dodgy as f**k as you could imagine but it fed a few families during the miners strike.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Can remember the miners wives at Bath raising funds for miners families and later on when I was starting my working life the convoys of coal wagons going down the M4 on Bridgend Wales.
A few chaps I now know who are in their 70's policed some of the strike's, they don't say too much about it but the one consistency amongst them was how hard the Met Police were, in the face of it and equally how the miners were when they knew it was the Met, whether that's factual I don't know but the guys I know aren't prone to embellishments.

In the face of feeding your family, I wonder if Tesco's were to run out whether people would sit there and starve, the ability to fed oneself seems to be lost on a generation, which I truly believe is/was in our genetic makeup, hunter gathering .....
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Apr 03 2020 07:33 -
Crackoff wrote: ↑Thu Apr 02 2020 23:57 -

There are all sorts of methods that do work on long tails, when there is deep snow the raisin in the hole certainly does, but getting them drunk on raisins soaked in alcohol I have never tried, why its always raisins I dont know.
Never heard of this horsehair method until here, I dress some of my flies using tail and mane horsehair and wouldn't have thought is was stiff enough to cause a problem sufficient to such a big bird, however I accept whats been said at face value until proved otherwise

[quote="Will Smith

Will..

Hi Will
I dont know Hugh Miles personally but see him about sometimes, when I next see him I will ask if he would be interested? Could be fun for both of you :grin:
[/quote]

Mike you have to remember it was over 30 or 40 years ago :scratch: I'v had a good think about this and he defo threaded a chick pea or a pigeon corn on a line, may of been mono and peg'd it to the ground so when it was swallowed the pheasant was stuck there. Where the horse hair bit has come from I cannot remember but its there somwherr.

Mike I'm not prone to lying a windup yes but out and out lying NO end of

Grant :wink:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Stupot I'v just been lining to the misstral voice on BBC2 and there was a guy on with the name Stewart Law and I thought thats not stupot's voice :confused:

Then he said he works as a cabin crew on a plain :laughs:

Defo not you buddy :wink:

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hey Grant,
Please read my post again.

I said I accepted what was said at face value until proved otherwise. That means I accepted (believed to be correct) what you had posted.

Ive not accused you of anything, nor would I wish to.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I used to go ferreting with a pal, nice way to spend a day.

But for me the easiest way to catch a rabbit is to sprinkle salt on its' tail!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05 2020 00:04 -
I used to go ferreting with a pal, nice way to spend a day.

But for me the easiest way to catch a rabbit is to sprinkle salt on its' tail!

Salting its tail is the easist way to get a razor clam out of its burrow, so effective its banned in some countries.

:thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Back when I was a young teenager Mike me and my brother were feckers for poaching. We must have tried every poachers trick in the book. Soaking raisins in alcohol works, so long as you get them feeding where you want to spike them first.
We only did it a couple of times till my dad put 2 and 2 together and realised the whisky level dropping coincided with the numbers of pheasants we were bringing home :laughs:
We used to snare them as well, a fine piece of copper wire for the noose set in every "run" through a certain hedge then a walk round and through the copse at the side rattling a box of matches as we went so the birds would run and not fly.