Ducks

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Ducks

Post by Mattjb »

Anyone else on here keep ducks? Here's my 3. A Welsh harlequin,a large appleyard and khaki Campbell. Also keep 7 hybrid chickens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Ducks

Post by Mike J »

I used to have ducks.
Aylesburys for eggs and eating, Indian Runners for eating only.
All were locked up at night in an ark and were adopted by a canada that used to stand guard outside overnight, until it attacked one for my terriers.

On the islands in my trout lake I made duck baskets from old old rums with the end kicked in for mallards, in each mallard nest I would add a few of my own duck eggs and knock them off with a rifle before the season opened.

I also had a Glevum incubator and hatched everything from Silky bantams to goose eggs all at the same time. The goslings I fed on grass clippings and shared them around before Michaelmas following the old tradition that if you eat a goose at Michaelmas you will not be without money for the following year.
Last edited by Mike J on Sat Apr 11 2020 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Sat Apr 11 2020 10:50 -
I used to have ducks.
Aylesburys for eggs and eating, Indian Runners for eating only.
All were locked up at night in an ark and were adopted by a canada that used to stand guard outside overnight, until it attacked one for my terriers.

On the islands in my trout lake I made duck baskets from old old rums with the end kicked in for mallards, in each mallard nest I would add a few of my own duck eggs and knock them off with a rifle before the season opened.

I also had a Glevum incubator and hatched everything from Silky bantams to goose eggs all at the same time. The goslings I fed on grass clippings and shared them around before Michaelmas following the old tradition that if you eat a goose at Michaelmas you will mot be without money for the following year.
Interesting stuff Mike. I had 5 runners at one time. Great layers and plenty of character. I used to have ducks and chickens in together and occasionally the chickens would pick on the ducks especially the runners as they were easy to knock over.ive got them separated now within an electrified pen but have a non electrified pen on the outside on grass that they go in when we are in the garden and seem happy together these days.
It always suprises me how many people won't even try duck eggs, they don't like the thought of it for some reason.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I had something similar but in reverse when I put some point of lay pullets and some ducklings in the same transport crate, young trampled chicken for a week was the result.

As a kid I used to walk the river banks looking at the bowls of the pollarded willows for duck feathers, which meant there was a nest and fresh eggs to be had or later.
The eggs of the stallion goose are equal to a duck but need longer to boil but they do make nice omelettes, its the getting them that wasn't easy.

I once kept some Aylesburys in a barn with an outside run of chicken wire, one winters afternnon I was a bit late shutting the pop hole and a fox had the heads off two after getting them to stick their heads throught the wire. I couldn't go the next day but the following my oldest bitch tracked it to a big bramble thicket on my neighbours farm. He was game and my bitch moved it out nice and slow and we shot it firing almost simultaneously from either side, what a mess those 2.5oz of BBs at 15-18yards made!

If you want some fun get a chicken or banty to sit some duck eggs then watch the mum's reaction when her newly hatched ducklings first take to the water!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Sat Apr 11 2020 16:29 -
I had something similar but in reverse when I put some point of lay pullets and some ducklings in the same transport crate, young trampled chicken for a week was the result.

As a kid I used to walk the river banks looking at the bowls of the pollarded willows for duck feathers, which meant there was a nest and fresh eggs to be had or later.
The eggs of the stallion goose are equal to a duck but need longer to boil but they do make nice omelettes, its the getting them that wasn't easy.

I once kept some Aylesburys in a barn with an outside run of chicken wire, one winters afternnon I was a bit late shutting the pop hole and a fox had the heads off two after getting them to stick their heads throught the wire. I couldn't go the next day but the following my oldest bitch tracked it to a big bramble thicket on my neighbours farm. He was game and my bitch moved it out nice and slow and we shot it firing almost simultaneously from either side, what a mess those 2.5oz of BBs at 15-18yards made!

If you want some fun get a chicken or banty to sit some duck eggs then watch the mum's reaction when her newly hatched ducklings first take to the water!
You should really write a book Mike.
The country tales of Mike J

I had a runner drake years ago, what a mistake that was! I was sold it as a duckling and told it was female but as it grew it became obvious by the raspy quack and tail curl that it was a drake.
I read that drakes were trouble but he was fine for a year or so then turned into a sex crazed maniac s******g everything that moved including the chickens which as you probably know is not good! Anyway it was off with his head in the end!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Tip.
When ever you want to buy anything from a countryman never ask 'have you got any' ???? for sale.
The first question should always be do you keep/have any ducks/geese/chickens/sheep etc. If the reply is positive, your response is to ask 'what breeds do you have'.
If and only IF they are the breed/s you require do you ask if they ever have any for sale and the negotiations can start.
The reason for this approach is simple, if you have to ask you dont know, and can be sold anything, eg; a famous banker once spent tens of thousands on some Devon Cattle (which were another breed entirely) just because his first question to the farmer was 'are those Devons', the farmer only had to ask if he wanted to buy some and when the banker said 'yes' the rest was a forgone conclusion! (Later they became good friends btw)

People are sold mares that are in foal, layers that are cockerels, steers that are still entire (ducks that are drakes) even my dumb my ex was nearly sold a hunter that couldn't be ridden before the seller discovered she was my wife.

This book, my wife (who is far from dumb) has been telling me that for ages.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

You live and learn! I would'nt buy ducklings now only young adults where it's pretty obvious if they are quacking correctly or not.
Your wife is right, get that book written! I'm sure a fair few on this forum would buy one. I suppose whether it would be financially viable or not comes into it though it would be a nice legacy to leave even if you break even if you know what I mean.