Bedlington Whippet rehome

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Bedlington Whippet rehome

Post by Ben »

This is Deuce, he’s a 6yr old Bedlington Terrier X Whippet, I would say he is a good 70% Terrier because he’s stocky and isn’t fussed about being out in the rain with no coat on. He is fully intact and would make a great ratter.

The owner is looking to rehome him because she’s expecting a baby and Deuce can be a bit snappy so she wouldn’t trust him around a small child.

I went to meet him today with my Mum’s dog Charley (same cross, 10yrs old) with a view to rehoming him at my parents but unfortunately it didn’t go well, Deuce snapped at Charl three times so there is no way they could live together. Poor Charl hated every minute of it and couldn’t wait to get back in the car!!

I would say Deuce needs an experienced owner with no children and no cats/rabbits, possibly another dog but it would either need to be female or bigger than Deuce, I’m sure the reason he’s a bit feisty is because he’s still got his b******s but never used them!

If anyone is genuinely interested please send me a PM and I can pass your details on, the owner is from Bury and is lovely.

64B9B79F-3A88-442D-A2BA-AA4C806AF5C5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Bedlington Whippet rehome

Post by Mike J »

Ben wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 13:49 -
This is Deuce, he’s a 6yr old Bedlington Terrier X Whippet, I would say he is a good 70% Terrier because he’s stocky and isn’t fussed about being out in the rain with no coat on. He is fully intact and would make a great ratter.

The owner is looking to rehome him because she’s expecting a baby and Deuce can be a bit snappy so she wouldn’t trust him around a small child.

I went to meet him today with my Mum’s dog Charley (same cross, 10yrs old) with a view to rehoming him at my parents but unfortunately it didn’t go well, Deuce snapped at Charl three times so there is no way they could live together. Poor Charl hated every minute of it and couldn’t wait to get back in the car!!

I would say Deuce needs an experienced owner with no children and no cats/rabbits, possibly another dog but it would either need to be female or bigger than Deuce, I’m sure the reason he’s a bit feisty is because he’s still got his b******s but never used them!

If anyone is genuinely interested please send me a PM and I can pass your details on, the owner is from Bury and is lovely.

64B9B79F-3A88-442D-A2BA-AA4C806AF5C5.jpeg

When introducing dogs its best to do it on neutral ground otherwise the dogs who's territory is being invaded will always put on a show of ownership of various levels of severity.

The BedxJR is the cross of choice of anyone who uses ferrets on land where netting is difficult and unsafe to use a gun.

Best of luck but with winter coming I doubt you will have any trouble finding a new owner.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Beware of it being sold on after someone rehomes it, dogs are making big money now. If she’s worried about it snapping at a baby, she needs to put it down, simple as. Not put it on the merry go round.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

SmellySmelt wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 14:14 -
Beware of it being sold on after someone rehomes it, dogs are making big money now. If she’s worried about it snapping at a baby, she needs to put it down, simple as. Not put it on the merry go round.

I dissagree.
Snappers are not dogs that bite, the snap is just a warning, dogs that bite just do it.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Mike J wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 14:37 -

I dissagree.
Snappers are not dogs that bite, the snap is just a warning, dogs that bite just do it.
Well he said she was having a new baby and was worried, enough said if you ask me. The dogs I keep have very high drive compared to your average pot licker. So any signs of aggression towards people and their gone.
Tell me so, what happens when the snap connects with a child’s face or and old persons leg??
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Can we not turn this into a dog behavioural debate please.

We did meet on neutral ground, the dog basically just needs his nuts off or stud him.

One or two snaps (not bites) does not warrant putting the dog down, I am sure she’ll find a nice home for him.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Ben wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 17:00 -
dog basically just needs his nuts off or stud him.

Probably true for all of us 😁
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

ChrisWales wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 19:27 -
dog basically just needs his nuts off or stud him.

Probably true for all of us 😁
:laughs:
Andy Sewell
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Thu Oct 22 2020 15:22 -

I dissagree.
Well he said she was having a new baby and was worried, enough said if you ask me. The dogs I keep have very high drive compared to your average pot licker. So any signs of aggression towards people and their gone.
Tell me so, what happens when the snap connects with a child’s face or and old persons leg??
What dogs do you have?
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 25 2020 11:25 -
I dissagree.
What dogs do you have?
I keep terriers and lurchers, also a couple of gundogs too. The terriers and lurchers are definitely not for the faint hearted. Thankfully they are kept between a few of us, no money involved and never sold to strangers.
But in fairness, they are not gassy and normal not too dog aggressive as long as you throw plenty of graft at them. I only had two that I couldn’t trust around people or dogs.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Sun Oct 25 2020 13:49 -
I dissagree.
What dogs do you have?
I keep terriers and lurchers, also a couple of gundogs too. The terriers and lurchers are definitely not for the faint hearted. Thankfully they are kept between a few of us, no money involved and never sold to strangers.
But in fairness, they are not gassy and normal not too dog aggressive as long as you throw plenty of graft at them. I only had two that I couldn’t trust around people or dogs.
Got some bull in them?
None of my lurchers were dog or people aggressive, and they all adored the kids...anything in a fur coat with long ears or a bushy tail things were different (also with anyone elses kitty that was daft enough to come on "their" garden as well)

Back on topic...bedlingtons and whippets crossed or not arent noted people snappers, only thing they do given the chance is hog the settee
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Can we not turn this into a dog behavioural debate please.

We did meet on neutral ground, the dog basically just needs his nuts off or stud him.

One or two snaps (not bites) does not warrant putting the dog down, I am sure she’ll find a nice home for him.
Snaps are all part of dogs lives, it's how young pups are put in their place by the bitch or other dogs if they cross the line and in later life as a reminder who is top dog.
It's only people who know little about dogs that see it as aggression
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 25 2020 15:10 -
I dissagree.
What dogs do you have?
Got some bull in them?
None of my lurchers were dog or people aggressive, and they all adored the kids...anything in a fur coat with long ears or a bushy tail things were different (also with anyone elses kitty that was daft enough to come on "their" garden as well)

Back on topic...bedlingtons and whippets crossed or not arent noted people snappers, only thing they do given the chance is hog the settee
No bull in the terriers, I think if you need to put bull(the right stuff) in your line, it’s not up too much. No need for bull in them, game enough.
One of my lurchers is3/8s bull, it’s the proper old wheaten that puts the spice in them.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Sun Oct 25 2020 17:52 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 25 2020 15:10 -
I dissagree.
What dogs do you have?
Got some bull in them?

No bull in the terriers, I think if you need to put bull(the right stuff) in your line, it’s not up too much. No need for bull in them, game enough.
One of my lurchers is3/8s bull, it’s the proper old wheaten that puts the spice in them.
I meant the lurchers not the terriers :thumbs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bull X has ruined many a running dog.... Nothing more than vogue.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stewlaws wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 19:32 -
Bull x have been about since the 80s. They definitely have a place in the field. Not everyones cup of tea though.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

They do.... But that side of running never inspired me.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stewlaws wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 19:48 -
I use my 3/8s for ferreting a lot, they are not just for big stuff.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

SmellySmelt wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 19:50 -
Unfortunately rabbits here are as scarce as ever, hares are on the increase though, deer are plague proportion and here in the west there is a county wide badger cull.....long overdue
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stewlaws wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 19:52 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 19:50 -
Unfortunately rabbits here are as scarce as ever, hares are on the increase though, deer are plague proportion and here in the west there is a county wide badger cull.....long overdue
Yes rabbits are an endangered species here in Ireland too! Still a few healthy pockets though!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Never had bull in my dogs Stew
Greyhound, collie, deer hound, and whippet were all you needed to make a good running dog
Salukis were born brain dead so never used them.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Always fancied a saluki x Kev, then the more I mixed with a few saluki pure bred they put me right off, lovely animal but not for me... Agree 100% not a lover of bull x
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Oct 29 2020 00:12 -
Greyhound, collie, deer hound, and whippet were all you needed to make a good running dog
If you ever wanted to put wind into a line, look no further then the saluki. What I’ve seen is the owners are the brain dead ones, too smart for a lot of lads. To much dog for the average joe. With that statement you obviously lived and owned them in the past. Describe how they are brain dead??
Ps: I wouldn’t be without a drop of saluki in a lurcher.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Thu Oct 29 2020 08:58 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Oct 29 2020 00:12 -
If you ever wanted to put wind into a line, look no further then the saluki. What I’ve seen is the owners are the brain dead ones, too smart for a lot of lads. To much dog for the average joe. With that statement you obviously lived and owned them in the past. Describe how they are brain dead??
Ps: I wouldn’t be without a drop of saluki in a lurcher.
I never had one but several of my mates did...they were a nightmare. Taking off over the hill for no reason, escaping from home and coming back a day or 3 later , feckers where livestock were concerned.
My dogs ran rings round them as well.
I know people who had good salukis ... they were the odd ones out :laughs: