Kev Berry

Re: Question for Kev( and anyone else)

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 13:00 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 12:20 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 10:52 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jan 14 2021 23:23 -
Fat is a very important part of a dogs diet
Feed your dog on the best lean meat and it will lose weight.
Chicken carcasses give nearly everything to a dog it needs. A bit of liver will give the rest.
Marrow inside the bones is very good for dogs.
I stopped giving my dogs bones to chew on because it caused fights.
They had pig sheep and cow rib bones as these could be chomped and swallowed quickly without gnawing and chewing and winding the dog in next kennel/run up.
Unwashed tripe with some of contents still attached will also give the dogs the bit of plant life they can digest. The cows have already broke down the cell structure allowing dogs to digest it.
During WW2 many dogs survived on cow and sheep stomachs and contents as there was very little dog food available.
First "complete" dog food was based on this..Vitalin.
Problem was it went in looking like rabbit food and it came out looking the same....the chickens loved it :laughs:
A working dog needs carbohydrates too, a small about. Might be different for pet dogs. Veg have vitamins that the meat is lacking.
If you are get trip straight from any animal, it’s best to soak it in a bucket of water or leave hanging for a few days so that the slaughtered animals enzymes have died off on it or your dog will be getting sick everywhere.
How many plant based carbohydrates do wolves and african wild dogs eat?
That's why fat is an important part of a dogs diet
Fed dogs on tripe that's still warm/been frozen/got maggots in and never had one sick. Only time a dog gets sick on tripe is cos its eaten too much.
Dogs love it.
I’m talking about working dogs. Not wild animals, they perform better with carbohydrates in their diets. That is plane to see when you are working them. It might not be essential in their diet to live but when your grafting them a few times a week you can see the difference with carbs on board. Your average dog will never be tested to where it needs more in their diet.
Talking raw diet here....and the natural carbs dogs need comes from fat...feed the right amount of meat/fat....plenty carbs and protein....funnily enough that sounds like a chicken carcase.

Working dogs are usually fed on kibble. The carbs in there come from starch in the form of rice barley etc

Ever seen a wild dog eating grain :laughs:
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 14:35 -
Chicken carcasses give nearly everything to a dog it needs. A bit of liver will give the rest.
They had pig sheep and cow rib bones as these could be chomped and swallowed quickly without gnawing and chewing and winding the dog in next kennel/run up.
Unwashed tripe with some of contents still attached will also give the dogs the bit of plant life they can digest. The cows have already broke down the cell structure allowing dogs to digest it.
During WW2 many dogs survived on cow and sheep stomachs and contents as there was very little dog food available.
Problem was it went in looking like rabbit food and it came out looking the same....the chickens loved it :laughs:
A working dog needs carbohydrates too, a small about. Might be different for pet dogs. Veg have vitamins that the meat is lacking.
If you are get trip straight from any animal, it’s best to soak it in a bucket of water or leave hanging for a few days so that the slaughtered animals enzymes have died off on it or your dog will be getting sick everywhere.
Fed dogs on tripe that's still warm/been frozen/got maggots in and never had one sick. Only time a dog gets sick on tripe is cos its eaten too much.
Dogs love it.
I’m talking about working dogs. Not wild animals, they perform better with carbohydrates in their diets. That is plane to see when you are working them. It might not be essential in their diet to live but when your grafting them a few times a week you can see the difference with carbs on board. Your average dog will never be tested to where it needs more in their diet.
Talking raw diet here....and the natural carbs dogs need comes from fat...feed the right amount of meat/fat....plenty carbs and protein....funnily enough that sounds like a chicken carcase.

Working dogs are usually fed on kibble. The carbs in there come from starch in the form of rice barley etc

I feed mine raw and so do my friends. From our experience we give them carbs because it helps with performance. This is with a raw diet that includes fat. This goes for a lot of lads working their dogs and feeding raw.
It has nothing to do with wild k9s
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

By product of racing .. unfortunately, I like watching a hard day with the hounds , they run hard yet hardly break a pant.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Probably the one factor of the kennels they cannot get away from is the hounds fitness ...
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 14:43 -
Dogs love it.

I feed mine raw and so do my friends. From our experience we give them carbs because it helps with performance. This is with a raw diet that includes fat. This goes for a lot of lads working their dogs and feeding raw.
Wild dogs will often run many miles after prey...their only carbs come from fat...the point you missed or I didnt make clear enough.
How much fat in your dogs diet...upto 20% or more fat needed for working dogs and upto 25% protein...10...15% fat for normal exercises dogs.and upto 20% protein

I used to run lurchers...never fed complete or biscuit....and they could run all day (unlike me :laughs: )
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 16:05 -
Dogs love it.

Wild dogs will often run many miles after prey...their only carbs come from fat...the point you missed or I didnt make clear enough.
How much fat in your dogs diet...upto 20% or more fat needed for working dogs and upto 25% protein...10...15% fat for normal exercises dogs.and upto 20% protein

I used to run lurchers...never fed complete or biscuit....and they could run all day (unlike me :laughs: )
I feed meat , veg, carbs, sometimes very little offal, fish and eggs.
But if I leave out the carbs I can see my dogs bottoming out quicker. I’m not talking about running a few rabbits.
I’ll also throw them a deer head too, they just leave the bottom jaw
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 16:25 -
Dogs love it.

But if I leave out the carbs I can see my dogs bottoming out quicker. I’m not talking about running a few rabbits.
Did I mention rabbits :laughs:
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 16:36 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 16:25 -
Dogs love it.

Did I mention rabbits :laughs:
No you didn’t but I can tell you from what I’ve seen over a number of years is that dogs that are tested hard need a bit of carbs in their diet along with raw feed. Yes wild k9s might not need or want it but when you are working dogs hard, even gundogs that may do 5/6 days a week on grouse not just hounds, lurchers and terriers.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

I was lead to believe they can't process carbs, rice and other stuff particularly well. That's why they have massive s***s when eating tinned food or suchlike. I'm not a specialist tho and Rufus did like a carrot 🤣
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Lukemilnes wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 18:21 -
I was lead to believe they can't process carbs, rice and other stuff particularly well. That's why they have massive s***s when eating tinned food or suchlike. I'm not a specialist tho and Rufus did like a carrot 🤣
Yeah much carbs, like dry food. They nearly s***e more then what went in. What I’m talking about is a slice of brown bread or a handful of brown rice. It is very little but improves performance.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 18:56 -
Yeah much carbs, like dry food. They nearly s***e more then what went in. What I’m talking about is a slice of brown bread or a handful of brown rice. It is very little but improves performance.
I did some work at a greyhound kennels many years ago.
They had bread specially baked for them to a certain recipe.
Each dog had a weighed portion mixed with a chicken and vegetable stew.

b******s wouldnt give me a bowl full ...it smelled delicious :laughs:
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 20:01 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 18:56 -
I did some work at a greyhound kennels many years ago.
They had bread specially baked for them to a certain recipe.
Each dog had a weighed portion mixed with a chicken and vegetable stew.

b******s wouldnt give me a bowl full ...it smelled delicious :laughs:
My uncle raced greyhounds and he gave the 3 wheatabix every morning but wouldn’t tell anyone what their main feed was :laughs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

And a sly hand job before a race.......
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

If he denies pulling a dog off he is a liar🤤🤤