Getting into shooting in Ireland.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Lee95
Stickleback
Stickleback

Getting into shooting in Ireland.

Post by Lee95 »

Hi everybody, just wondering if anybody on here has any advice on getting into to shooting in Ireland.
I have a few friends who can show me the ropes but was just hoping to get myself better acquainted with the process.
-Is it necessary to join a gun club?
-I know the game season in nov dec Jan , is there any shooting can be done in the warmer monthS?
-what kind of money would I be talking for a good shotgun?
-
alexthefisherman
Roach
Roach

Re: Getting into shooting in Ireland.

Post by alexthefisherman »

Im doing the same atm, you either need gun club membership or written permission from a landowner to shoot their land, plus a firearm handling course, and a shotgun serial number from a dealer before you submit the form to the guards.
If it swims I want to catch it!
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

You will need to show that you have permission to shoot land before you're given a license. Usually that need is satisfied by joining a gun club. You'll likely also have to show that you have the gun safely stored. So factor in the price of a gun safe.

You can get good pigeon and vermin shooting over the summer months. It's years since I had guns but decoying pigeons were some of my best days shooting.

You can pay as much as you want for a shotgun, - hundreds to thousands. Depends what you want. I know a lot of the lads around here moved from 12 bore to 20 bore for game shooting so consider that. Some use automatics, some over/unders.

alexthefisherman wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 11:24 -
Im doing the same atm, you either need gun club membership or written permission from a landowner to shoot their land, plus a firearm handling course, and a shotgun serial number from a dealer before you submit the form to the guards.
The firearm handling course must be a new thing, since my days anyway, but I'd say it's a welcome addition. I started my shooting with a veteran and I'm glad I did as he really made me conscious of gun safety. Everyone can be safe standing in a field shooting clays or whatever but when you're out hunting - climbing through ditches, going through bogs and scrub, running through fields - that's when people let their guard down and accidents happen.
alexthefisherman
Roach
Roach

Post by alexthefisherman »

If it swims I want to catch it!
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 12:18 -
You will need to show that you have permission to shoot land before you're given a license. Usually that need is satisfied by joining a gun club. You'll likely also have to show that you have the gun safely stored. So factor in the price of a gun safe.

You can get good pigeon and vermin shooting over the summer months. It's years since I had guns but decoying pigeons were some of my best days shooting.

You can pay as much as you want for a shotgun, - hundreds to thousands. Depends what you want. I know a lot of the lads around here moved from 12 bore to 20 bore for game shooting so consider that. Some use automatics, some over/unders.

alexthefisherman wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 11:24 -
The firearm handling course must be a new thing, since my days anyway, but I'd say it's a welcome addition. I started my shooting with a veteran and I'm glad I did as he really made me conscious of gun safety. Everyone can be safe standing in a field shooting clays or whatever but when you're out hunting - climbing through ditches, going through bogs and scrub, running through fields - that's when people let their guard down and accidents happen.
How you get permission to shoot without having a gun sounds a bit..."irish"😁
A friend of ours moved to Ireland...he was a really big pigeon decoyer but since he moved he hardly shot any woodies, a handful a year but hundreds/ thousands of crows.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Yes bud as above, join a club, it saves all the problems of trying to get permission and you only can shot on the land you have permission for. Safety course and the Garda will do an inspection to your house to see if you have a gun safe.
You can shoot corvids, rabbits, rats and foxes outside the traditional months. If you get a license you can shoot pigeons outside the game months too.
What part of the country are you in? I might be able to help with a gun club.