When is it time to call time?

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Re: When is it time to call time?

Post by GAVIN H »

Only just saw this thread John, very tough for you and your dog. Wish you all the best.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

GAVIN H wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 15:07 -
Only just saw this thread John, very tough for you and your dog. Wish you all the best.
Thanks for your kind wishes Gavin (and everybody). :thumbs:

I am pleased to say Barkley seems to have turned a corner, after the vet suggesting he was beyond further help and probably only had weeks left.

His weight has increased slightly, and his vitality seems to be increasing day by day. He'll have a blood test soon, to see if there have been any improvements in his key organ functions. His jaundice has reduced considerably, so it looks like his liver function is actually starting to recover.

He's still got a long way to go, but I'm much more optimistic now that he'll pull through. Tough little guy! :smile:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Fingers crossed John, I hope it works out for you and Barkley.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I took Barkley to the vets to be weighed today and the progress he's made over the last few weeks is better than I could possibly have hoped!

Just over six weeks ago he was a pathetic 8.6kgs of skin and bone with the vet saying the time had arrived to consider having him euthanised.

Today she described him as a 'little miracle' as he trotted in and tipped the scales at 11kgs! At this rate he'll be back to his optimum weight of 13kgs in another couple of months - 'attaboy! :thumbs:

IMG_20210627_223029~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

I’m absolutely chuffed for both of you
Nice to have a bit of good news :thumbs:
Regards
Tom
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

Really pleased for you - and Barkley - Glad that giving him "the chance" worked out :cool:
He was obviously not ready to go

Thanks for the hoped for update ....... Tony :thumbs:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Great news John, very happy for you and the little dog.

Will.
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

I'm chuffed to bits to read that Barkley has made a magnificent start to his recovery, John. Well done Barkley :thumbs:

As for myself, last Friday morning I had an appointment with my vet, as my 11 year old German Shorthaired Pointer, called Boyca, had recently made me very worried.
During one of his retrieve sessions, Boyca had retrieved one of his favourite toys and infront of me collapsed on his side with all four legs straight out and his eyes were in a fixed stare.
I thought Boyca was dead, but fortunately he was still breathing, and about 5 minutes later he got to his feet and gingerly made it back into the house. I was really concerned, and kept a close eye on him for a couple of days. I then noticed that he was going off his food, and even refused to eat at times which led to weight loss.
I then noticed his stomach starting to swell, this is when I made an appointment with my vet.
At the vets, Boyca was taken inside while I had to wait in my car. About ten minutes later, the vet came out alone and beckoned me inside.
Once inside, I was told that his heart had been monitored, a scan had been done, and a sample of fluid was taken from his stomach.
Boyca's heart was beating twice as fast as it should be, and that it wasn't supplying enough blood around his body to allow it to function properly hence his earlier collapse at home.
Having heard what few options were available, none of which could give him back his health, I decided that as much as I dearly loved him, that it would be unfair to let my best mate suffer any longer and end up having a massive heart attack. It was now down to me to call time and say farewell to my loyal companion.
I broke down whilst driving home all alone, and found myself begging forgiveness for cutting short Boyca's life, but deep down it was the right decision and as lonely as I now am I did the right thing by him.
I'm now left with a Maltese puppy called Daisy, which I had bought for my late wife Eline to try to bring some happiness into her life, but I also still have my Saker falcon and a Little Owl to keep me company in these darkest of times. Without these wee beasts and support from a certain well known individual I'd probably be long gone.
RIP Boyca and run free.
FB_IMG_1561161972474.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Much respect for making the right call.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Jeez Dale, I really feel for you and the awful losses you've had to endure.

There are simply no adequate words, but all respect to you for doing what needed to be done and even finding the courage and heart to share it with us. :sad: :handshake:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

As above Dale
Sometimes life can be so unfair
Regards
Tom
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Tiercel wrote: Thu Jul 29 2021 21:27 -
I'm chuffed to bits to read that Barkley has made a magnificent start to his recovery, John. Well done Barkley :thumbs:

As for myself, last Friday morning I had an appointment with my vet, as my 11 year old German Shorthaired Pointer, called Boyca, had recently made me very worried.
During one of his retrieve sessions, Boyca had retrieved one of his favourite toys and infront of me collapsed on his side with all four legs straight out and his eyes were in a fixed stare.
I thought Boyca was dead, but fortunately he was still breathing, and about 5 minutes later he got to his feet and gingerly made it back into the house. I was really concerned, and kept a close eye on him for a couple of days. I then noticed that he was going off his food, and even refused to eat at times which led to weight loss.
I then noticed his stomach starting to swell, this is when I made an appointment with my vet.
At the vets, Boyca was taken inside while I had to wait in my car. About ten minutes later, the vet came out alone and beckoned me inside.
Once inside, I was told that his heart had been monitored, a scan had been done, and a sample of fluid was taken from his stomach.
Boyca's heart was beating twice as fast as it should be, and that it wasn't supplying enough blood around his body to allow it to function properly hence his earlier collapse at home.
Having heard what few options were available, none of which could give him back his health, I decided that as much as I dearly loved him, that it would be unfair to let my best mate suffer any longer and end up having a massive heart attack. It was now down to me to call time and say farewell to my loyal companion.
I broke down whilst driving home all alone, and found myself begging forgiveness for cutting short Boyca's life, but deep down it was the right decision and as lonely as I now am I did the right thing by him.
I'm now left with a Maltese puppy called Daisy, which I had bought for my late wife Eline to try to bring some happiness into her life, but I also still have my Saker falcon and a Little Owl to keep me company in these darkest of times. Without these wee beasts and support from a certain well known individual I'd probably be long gone.
RIP Boyca and run free. FB_IMG_1561161972474.jpg
I've had Labradors for 35 years now and each time i have to make the decision it seems to get worse. Until you have had such a loyal companion and friend, you cant understand what the loss of losing a dog can bring. My current boy, Logan, is now 10 and i hope he gets to a ripe old age and passes peacefully in his sleep when his time comes, but unfortunately i have never had that happen. I will look after him, as i have all my dogs no expense spared until then. I know exactly how you feel but you made the right call for you pal, and not for yourself. Just remember the good times you had with your pal and best friend and all the love and happiness you gave each other. :handshake:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Tiercel wrote: Thu Jul 29 2021 21:27 -

RIP Boyca and run free. FB_IMG_1561161972474.jpg

Feel for you Dale .. been a difficult time for you mate, think we should tap up a social and sink a few beers put the world to right and catch some fish, Mr Berry and Co where is our next self help session taking place, we need some liquid therapy decent music and slime on our hands !?
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Many thanks for all the kind words lads, it really does help.
It's been a week now since I called time, and I'm waiting to hear from my vet to say that his ashes have been returned so that I can bring him home.
As Stew said, I think a Pit social gathering is much needed to enable some of us to have a much needed laugh. I enjoyed going to some of the other legendary socials even though I caught next to feck all :laughs:
Dale
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Heartbreaking Dale
It takes a big man with a big heart to make that decision
:hug:
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

It’s the only down side to having a dog,
Not owning a dog as it’s those little b******s that owns us.
😢
That Perkins !!! 😂
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Sorry for your loss Dale.

Will.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Thoughts are with u Dale, although terrible the correct decision
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

We Lost our little Beagle Pheobe this week, she was 10, after a seizure last August she had been on heart tablets and we knew we where on borrowed time, but they really picked her up and we had some great walks, but last week she became really lethargic but her breathing was fast and another trip to the vets revealed that her heart was really enlarged and the beat was irregular, a change in meds again but these didn’t really have much effect, on Tuesday she woke up and had become lame on one of her back feet, after speaking to the vet her heart wasn’t strong enough to get blood around the body properly and we had to make the hardest choice, we had the vet come to our house and Pheobe was put to sleep lieing on her bed while my two daughters comforted her, it’s been a hard few days and we all miss her terribly,
1A44A063-E55C-4FA1-9E48-E7BB6574B2BB.jpeg
036F1FBD-4E37-49B4-AA5C-98FBED8D7A38.png
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

piker al wrote: Sun Apr 10 2022 09:27 -
We Lost our little Beagle Pheobe this week, she was 10, after a seizure last August she had been on heart tablets and we knew we where on borrowed time, but they really picked her up and we had some great walks, but last week she became really lethargic but her breathing was fast and another trip to the vets revealed that her heart was really enlarged and the beat was irregular, a change in meds again but these didn’t really have much effect, on Tuesday she woke up and had become lame on one of her back feet, after speaking to the vet her heart wasn’t strong enough to get blood around the body properly and we had to make the hardest choice, we had the vet come to our house and Pheobe was put to sleep lieing on her bed while my two daughters comforted her, it’s been a hard few days and we all miss her terribly, 1A44A063-E55C-4FA1-9E48-E7BB6574B2BB.jpeg036F1FBD-4E37-49B4-AA5C-98FBED8D7A38.png
It's hard Al, but most of us have been through it. My old Staffie has been gone 12 years last Wednesday. My Mum sent me this via Whatsapp on the day.
fab7aff8b3b2c6d94e1c5c11bc163e41.jpg
You will always talk about her. :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Very sorry to hear about your little Pheobe Al.

It doesn't sound like you and your family could have done anything more for her than the treasured extra six months you all shared.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

True that Monts😥

Sorry for your loss Al.
They never leave you.
They just leave an empty space to be filled by a puppy :wink:

RIP Phoebe
Andy Carpenter
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

piker al wrote: Sun Apr 10 2022 09:27 -
We Lost our little Beagle Pheobe this week, she was 10, after a seizure last August she had been on heart tablets and we knew we where on borrowed time, but they really picked her up and we had some great walks, but last week she became really lethargic but her breathing was fast and another trip to the vets revealed that her heart was really enlarged and the beat was irregular, a change in meds again but these didn’t really have much effect, on Tuesday she woke up and had become lame on one of her back feet, after speaking to the vet her heart wasn’t strong enough to get blood around the body properly and we had to make the hardest choice, we had the vet come to our house and Pheobe was put to sleep lieing on her bed while my two daughters comforted her, it’s been a hard few days and we all miss her terribly, 1A44A063-E55C-4FA1-9E48-E7BB6574B2BB.jpeg036F1FBD-4E37-49B4-AA5C-98FBED8D7A38.png
Always a sad time Al, may I extend my sympathies to you and your family.

Will.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

That is so true Big part of my life for 10 years
I’m definitely going to get another puppy once the girls are ready
Thanks lads :handshake:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Sorry to hear your dad news Al
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

They just don't live long enough, tough decision but the right choice. People losing dogs always gets me. Horrible losing your best friend.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Just found this thread - raised a watery eye - I'm really not equipped for these things.

(Empathy and condolences to all face)