When is it time to call time?

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

When is it time to call time?

Post by John Milford »

Just got back from the vets this afternoon, where I've been taking my dog Barkley, pretty much weekly since the end of March.

At the beginning of March she commented on what fabulous condition he was in, just checking how a few stitches had healed after a minor op.

Three months later, my athletic, agile, smart boy is virtually a gonner! :sad:

At only five years old, his liver has packed up and despite antibiotics, supplements and special food he is just melting away. From 13kg to 8.6kg in 12 weeks.

No amount of food he eats makes the slightest difference and he's now got virtually nothing left to lose.

Today the vet finally told me what I've been dreading, but known deep down for many weeks. Time to consider having him euthanised.

My dilemma is that he still enjoys everything - walks, food, play, company - he's fast asleep with his head on my foot right now!

My brave little mate is fighting it for all he's worth, but it's a fight he can't win.

When to call time? It's a b*****d! :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: When is it time to call time?

Post by Happy Hayes »

I feel for you John .
Is he in pain ,if not I’d enjoy as much time as I could with him .
It’s a horrible decision to make
But until it’s unfair on him I’d leave it and let him do what he likes .
Regards
Tom
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cliche John , but I think you’ll know when it’s time, that’s how it was for me when I put my boxer down( still very hard thing to do though😓)
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Thanks guys. You're both right, I think.

I regret leaving it slightly too long for my old Cocker, Archie. With hindsight, I really should have been a good week braver for him.

My heartache this time, with that on my mind, is ending it for Barkley too soon.

I completely get your point Si (not a cliche at all. :thumbs: ). The simple fact is there is no good time at all for us, only for them. :neutral:

I'm determined not let him suffer.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

As horrible as it is, I always think it's better to let them go when they are still enjoying life.
I think it's better to remember them as happy dogs, not as a shadow of what they once we're.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 07 2021 19:19 -
As horrible as it is, I always think it's better to let them go when they are still enjoying life.
I think it's better to remember them as happy dogs, not as a shadow of what they once we're.
I think after what the vet said today fully sinks in, I'll reach that same conclusion Daniel.

I've just got in from taking him for a walk and while he plodded a little at times, he was mostly walking with his usual cocky little trot.

I think as soon as that goes from him, the time will have come.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

What a shame John, very sorry to hear of your's and the little dog's plight, as the guys have already mentioned you will know when the time is right.

It's a b*****d alright, and no mistake :sad: .

Will.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

so sad john , i went through it 7 years ago pal very similar circumstance , jake was losing weight fast , then he was found to have cancer all over the place ,
its very hard to make that decision to have them put down , as he was a happy dog right to the end,they came to my house to put him down .....i was gutted john , still am
got my other dog finn now crazy son of a gun he is too ......i look at it like this
you have given that dog a very good life and he has been loved and cared for ...
and you have saved him from some other who could have miss treated him and gave him a terrible life.......thats how i deal with it john ...
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Any chance he’s come into contact with rat poison John ?
Knowing that is not going to help at this stage but sometimes knowing helps.
A dog is the best friend you can have, can’t imagine being in the same place with that dilemma hanging.
I guess when you feel his suffering becomes too much you will know when it’s time.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I wondered about both cancer and poison.

He had a little lump removed from his neck in late Feb, but it was just benign fatty tissue - the vet says there is no likely connection.

The poison worry came from the fact that badgers were tearing up the fallow grazing we walk in a few months back, and he was always rooting where they had been foraging. I wondered if some poison might have been put down by a farmer worried about his herd getting tuberculosis, but that is probably unlikely.

The vet's best guess is severe canine viral hepatitis, possibly contracted via fox urine. Whatever it is, it got very acute, very quickly and has done catastrophic liver damage in just a matter of weeks. :shrug:
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Going through something similar John with our 14 year old English Springers. She is totally deaf, partially sighted has dementia and arthritis in her hips and knees. Most of the time she's asleep and when she's not she's bumping into things or falling over. Thing is when she is up and about her tail is always wagging and loves a fuss, she still has her moments leaping around like a bloody lunatic, typical Springer. She is off to the vet on Thursday as she has a mass on her side that has become quite large quite quickly. Dreading the time when we have to make a decision...
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Every sympathy John,we’ve been through it ourselves,as Si pointed out,you’ll know when it’s time,just cherish every day
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

It’s the build up to it that gets me, when it’s done you know you have done the right thing. Just remember the good times. If you looked after them well you owe them nothing nor do they owe you.
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Like you John I feel we should have been a few days braver with a previous dog. It was very much to mind when I had to face the same thing again earlier this year. I feel we got it right this time and I think you will too.

Wishing ye the best.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

A saying John ... Better a week early than a day late, I've applied that on all my dogs as out of all my animals only one has had a natural death, like everyone else you will instinctively know when.
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

If he's happy to walk and play - then let him play
If he doesn't want to go out - you have a very hard decision to make

A decision I've had to make many times - Never gets any easier - I feel for you - I get that you care - as did I
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Its a terrible thing to go through John. I've had Labs for over 35 years now and each time I've had to make the ultimate decision its gotten harder to do. All i would say is if his quality of life is good at the moment enjoy your time with him. When his quality of life really starts to go down hill you will know its time.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I took Barkley for a check up today.

I'd deliberately left it two weeks, just to see what another fortnight's relatively healthy eating had done for him.

It was pretty much crunch time, because if his weight had nevertheless continued to drop, the decision would have to have been made there and then - he really did have nothing left to lose.

The way he's been behaving lately had given me some slight hope, but I was still dreading the verdict of the scales.

Good news. He's back up to 9.1kgs from 8.6kgs. Still a very long way away from his optimum weight of 13kgs - but room for a little 'cautious optimism' the vet said.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jun 21 2021 22:05 -
I took Barkley for a check up today.

I'd deliberately left it two weeks, just to see what another fortnight's relatively healthy eating had done for him.

It was pretty much crunch time, because if his weight had nevertheless continued to drop, the decision would have to have been made there and then - he really did have nothing left to lose.

The way he's been behaving lately had given me some slight hope, but I was still dreading the verdict of the scales.

Good news. He's back up to 9.1kgs from 8.6kgs. Still a very long way away from his optimum weight of 13kgs - but room for a little 'cautious optimism' the vet said.
That’s good news John,small steps and all that :thumbs:
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

Delighted to hear that "the way he's been behaving lately had given you some slight hope"

"Good news" indeed - Very Best of Luck for the future ...... Tony
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

So happy for you :thumbs:
Fingers crossed it carry’s on .
Regards
Tom
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

🤞
Andy Sewell
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Great news John, fingers crossed he continues to improve in the next few weeks and months, stranger things have happened.

Will.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Been through this with my Dobies, you say he enjoys walks, food, play, company, so monitor those and you will be able to reach a decision.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

tigger996 wrote: Fri Jun 25 2021 20:08 -
Been through this with my Dobies, you say he enjoys walks, food, play, company, so monitor those and you will be able to reach a decision.
I'm very pleased to say that all of that is on the up Tigger. His energy levels have noticeably improved over the last week, so his liver function seems to be showing some signs of recovery.

The poor little sod has got kennel cough now, due to his immune system being so low, but he seems to be fighting back against the odds.:thumbs:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

John Milford wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 00:59 -
tigger996 wrote: Fri Jun 25 2021 20:08 -
I'm very pleased to say that all of that is on the up Tigger. His energy levels have noticeably improved over the last week, so his liver function seems to be showing some signs of recovery.

The poor little sod has got kennel cough now, due to his immune system being so low, but he seems to be fighting back against the odds.:thumbs:
Great news John :thumbs:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Fingers crossed he continues to improve John, very happy for you.

Will.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

He’s definitely a fighter, great to hear he’s on the up John
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Post by The Fatchap »

My 12 year old patterjack Jenson is in a similar position, 12 years old, blind, deaf and suffering from a lifelong skin complaint. We lost his sister Button 12 months ago
but he keeps going. I believe that he is worth persevering with because his appetite is still strong and he still seems happy enough. It is problematic that dogs live
fairly short lives compared to ours and inevitably they break your hearts at the end.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

The Fatchap wrote: Wed Jun 30 2021 05:37 -
My 12 year old patterjack Jenson is in a similar position, 12 years old, blind, deaf and suffering from a lifelong skin complaint. We lost his sister Button 12 months ago
but he keeps going. I believe that he is worth persevering with because his appetite is still strong and he still seems happy enough. It is problematic that dogs live
fairly short lives compared to ours and inevitably they break your hearts at the end.
He may have an appetite, but being deaf and blind, surely his quality of life isn't great?

I had a deaf dog that lost it's sight. I made the tough call when I realised she literally just laid down between walks and did nothing.
She was otherwise healthy, but imo dogs are meant to run, play, chew etc, she literally did nothing but lay down, that's no life.