Early start on the rabbits.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Early start on the rabbits.

Post by SmellySmelt »

Farmer phoned me telling me that the fields are moving with rabbits. I decided to get out because if I didn’t someone else would. I arrived at the farm and he wasn’t lying about the problem.
I decided to use a hob I got during the summer that had a vasectomy so I could bring my jills out of season. Well he worked very well bolting plenty and a few digs too.
After a few days the farmer called saying it was great that I clear a couple of warrens but when am I coming back.
So I went back to clear a few more. So 4 warrens over to afternoons produced 20 rabbits. A bit early but it had to be done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Early start on the rabbits.

Post by Bob Watson »

:thumbs:

A great way to spend the day. I used to go with an old mate, RIP! But haven't been for ages.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Looks like a good day and sounds like plenty more to come. Bring on the rabbit pie!
Bob
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Yes lads, I love the auld ferreting. It’s a great way to spend a day. Plus you get free range meat too, I take the back straps and the rest goes to the ferrets and dogs.
It’s great to see them coming back, just keep their numbers at a healthy level and everyone will be happy.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Nice curry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

The older generation love a few rabbits too, but they are nearly gone now.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

The old boys in the club used to get a few freebies after our days out and we'd drop one or two off for the landowner if he wanted any and usually end up quaffing a bottle of his home brew!

Must be 15 years since I last went ferreting :eek:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

The keeper I started with was an ex warrener from the Sandringham estate and his only his only job was controlling the rabbits on the queen's estate..he would sometimes take out the string of embryos and fry them off after first mashing them with a tenderiser , about the only thing I never got my head round trying
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Aug 20 2021 21:58 -
The keeper I started with was an ex warrener from the Sandringham estate and his only his only job was controlling the rabbits on the queen's estate..he would sometimes take out the string of embryos and fry them off after first mashing them with a tenderiser , about the only thing I never got my head round trying
That is very weird. Don’t think I’ll be trying that in a rush! I have a handmade stick from an old exkeeper from Sandringham. We both went beating on an estate in Aberdeenshire.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

SmellySmelt wrote: Fri Aug 20 2021 22:09 -
Stewlaws wrote: Fri Aug 20 2021 21:58 -
That is very weird. Don’t think I’ll be trying that in a rush! I have a handmade stick from an old exkeeper from Sandringham. We both went beating on an estate in Aberdeenshire.
It was a meal too far for me but only heard of 2 people who have tried this both said how good it tasted
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

anyone for embryos ......if chris packham had a recipe book that would be in it
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

My mate does a lot of rabbits with the rifle and he gets £3 each for clean head shot bunnies,they can’t get enough of them
Unlike the deer, game dealers round here don’t want to buy wild deer anymore,
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

piker al wrote: Sat Aug 28 2021 07:04 -
My mate does a lot of rabbits with the rifle and he gets £3 each for clean head shot bunnies,they can’t get enough of them
I can get £2 a rabbit, but I only sell in big numbers days. £3 is good. If you can deal with a few falconers directly, you can get £5 a rabbit but have to be clean, so no bite marks!
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

SmellySmelt wrote: Sat Aug 28 2021 11:34 -
piker al wrote: Sat Aug 28 2021 07:04 -
I can get £2 a rabbit, but I only sell in big numbers days. £3 is good. If you can deal with a few falconers directly, you can get £5 a rabbit but have to be clean, so no bite marks!
Good money, great getting a few quid back for a mornings sport :thumbs: