general licence / pigeon shooting

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

general licence / pigeon shooting

Post by stubbojo »

just been informed you now cant go out and shoot wood pigeon over a stubble field , i normally get an invite twice a year on my mates farm where he works...
spoke to my other mate who shoots all the time , well not at the moment he says his mate was shooting a stubble field the other week and the police turned up and said we could arrest you , but not this time , he asked why he could not shoot the pigeons on private land , the police seemed well informed on the new rules regarding shooting .

they said you have been filmed shooting indiscriminately at birds
apparently you cant shoot birds if there not being a pest ie the pigeons are on stubble and no seeds are visible , so there not a pest
and you have to prove you have taken out necessary precautions on film to scare off the birds ie gas guns on a daily basis before you can shoot anything

heard on the grape vine....... chris packham pushed this into action .........

what farmer is going to go to all the trouble filming and documenting then get somebody to check it all is right , his crop would have took a hammering by then
somebody tell me this is all b******s and my mates got it wrong ....... :shrug:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: general licence / pigeon shooting

Post by Bob Watson »

I've not heard anything but if this is the case I can see a lot of FAC air rifles being pressed into service.

Just a case criminalising what's still going to happen anyway!
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

The police have little for doing in the middle of a pandemic. What about food shortages??
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 21:14 -
I've not heard anything but if this is the case I can see a lot of FAC air rifles being pressed into service.

but you still cant shoot pigeons even with an air rifle , bob its all shooting pal

just googled it , it doesnt look good for shooting .....it cost farmers 75 million a year with pigeon crop damage
its very unclear .......
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

There's a farmer on Youtube who said he had guns on his land who shot 600 pigeons the other week. :shrug:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 21:43 -
There's a farmer on Youtube who said he had guns on his land who shot 600 pigeons the other week. :shrug:
lets hope its all crap dave
but my mate who shoots all over and seems to be in the know , thinks its all over .....hope not dave
i only shoot say 2 or 3 times a year....... on the pigeons and maybe a bit of clay shooting........
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 21:35 -

but you still cant shoot pigeons even with an air rifle , bob its all shooting pal

just googled it , it doesnt look good for shooting .....it cost farmers 75 million a year with pigeon crop damage
its very unclear .......
My reference to FAC air rifles was for stealth because it wont be allowed. It will still happen but perhaps without the bang!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 21:07 -
just been informed you now cant go out and shoot wood pigeon over a stubble field , i normally get an invite twice a year on my mates farm where he works...
spoke to my other mate who shoots all the time , well not at the moment he says his mate was shooting a stubble field the other week and the police turned up and said we could arrest you , but not this time , he asked why he could not shoot the pigeons on private land , the police seemed well informed on the new rules regarding shooting .

they said you have been filmed shooting indiscriminately at birds
apparently you cant shoot birds if there not being a pest ie the pigeons are on stubble and no seeds are visible , so there not a pest
and you have to prove you have taken out necessary precautions on film to scare off the birds ie gas guns on a daily basis before you can shoot anything

heard on the grape vine....... chris packham pushed this into action .........

what farmer is going to go to all the trouble filming and documenting then get somebody to check it all is right , his crop would have took a hammering by then
somebody tell me this is all b******s and my mates got it wrong ....... :shrug:

If you read the precise definitions on the General Licence what you've been told is correct. You cannot just go out as we used to and shoot birds for sport. The landowner must be able to prove other methods of deterring the problem have failed before a firearm is used.
Shooting at a bird not damaging a crop but just flying over could in the eyes of a Judge be classed as shooting indiscriminately.
Im not surpised someone filmed you, the prevalence of townies wandering around on private land has increased tremendously this year.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 22:24 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 21:35 -

its very unclear .......
My reference to FAC air rifles was for stealth because it wont be allowed. It will still happen but perhaps without the bang!
also lead shot is being phased out this year for shooting game i was told recently...
just be aware we are being watched even more closely now .......by that i mean the anti brigade and there everywhere bob........................... my mate says fishing will be next , maybe not in our life time
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Chris packham is a total knob head, interfering in all the country sports, and as u say Mike there’s to many tree hugging townies moving into the country
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Got several boxes of 28 guage eley bismuth shells, £32.00 per box of 25. This is how shooting is going to once again be a domain for only the fortunate as I don't see many younger people having the opportunity we did in our time.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I cant see why people want to kill anything they not going to eat or kill something on a "list" that isnt doing any harm.
There have been too many "gunnies" in the past who went out just to kill something...not defend crops.
Posting bag shots of dozens of crows and pigeons didnt do them any good.
There is too much "victorian" attitude still residing in the shooting world.
Our local buzzard population has drastically fallen this year..not down to lack of prey. No doubt the gamekeepers of the local shoots have been busy again.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Aug 31 2021 07:32 -
I cant see why people want to kill anything they not going to eat or kill something on a "list" that isnt doing any harm.
There have been too many "gunnies" in the past who went out just to kill something...not defend crops.
Our local buzzard population has drastically fallen this year..not down to lack of prey. No doubt the gamekeepers of the local shoots have been busy again.

I agree with some of your sentiments especially about gunnies especially those who just want to let it off, at anything.
I am a firm believer in the European system where you are required to undertake a practical and theoretical exam before you can apply for a firearm licence.

In the real world there will always be a case for removing a problem before it has chance to become one, the culling of deer in forestry, rabbits before a crop comes through, the fox thats always checking out your chicken run, or rats in our gardens.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Aug 30 2021 17:41 -
Got several boxes of 28 guage eley bismuth shells, £32.00 per box of 25. This is how shooting is going to once again be a domain for only the fortunate as I don't see many younger people having the opportunity we did in our time.

I agree with you Stew, but perhaps its not such a bad thing.
If the youth of today are prepared to stab someone for the slightest reason I shudder to think what would they do with the .410 I owned and shot with alone when I was thirteen.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

"I cant see why people want to kill anything they not going to eat or kill something on a "list" that isnt doing any harm."

Still keeping 'pets', Kev?
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Tue Aug 31 2021 17:46 -
"I cant see why people want to kill anything they not going to eat or kill something on a "list" that isnt doing any harm."

Still keeping 'pets', Kev?
Dont be daft...of course I am
They on the "list" ?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have been shooting since i was allowed to own a gun , but even then i have never shot anything i have not eaten , some guys go out and shoot hundreds of pigeons and just leave them under a hedge , thats not me , i have a respect for the countryside and its wildlife , never would i shoot at a bird out of a shotguns range , like i used to see guys mounting there guns at 80...100yds birds , fooking Muppets , just take what you need , but no like you say its just a numbers game for some ......these days i limit myself to about 30 pigeon thats plenty to keep me going ,been on big pheasant shoots in the past picking up , stopped going as the shooters were a bunch of pillocks shooting at birds ,you could have hit with your gun but , then patting there mates on the back for such a good shot ......disgraceful behaviour on some of these top shoots but if you've got the money you can blag as many of the pheasants as you wish
sadly shooting is going to be for the privileged few...and joe bloggs who just wants a few for the pot cant even shoot a woodie ......or two.....were f****d.....

regards a very p****d off occasional shooter......
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 21:47 -
i have been shooting since i was allowed to own a gun , but even then i have never shot anything i have not eaten , some guys go out and shoot hundreds of pigeons and just leave them under a hedge , thats not me , i have a respect for the countryside and its wildlife , never would i shoot at a bird out of a shotguns range , like i used to see guys mounting there guns at 80...100yds birds , fooking Muppets , just take what you need , but no like you say its just a numbers game for some ......these days i limit myself to about 30 pigeon thats plenty to keep me going ,been on big pheasant shoots in the past picking up , stopped going as the shooters were a bunch of pillocks shooting at birds ,you could have hit with your gun but , then patting there mates on the back for such a good shot ......disgraceful behaviour on some of these top shoots but if you've got the money you can blag as many of the pheasants as you wish
sadly shooting is going to be for the privileged few...and joe bloggs who just wants a few for the pot cant even shoot a woodie ......or two.....were f****d.....

Why haven’t BASC got involved with this and fought it?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

piker al wrote: Wed Sep 08 2021 13:28 -

think they have on a few occasions but its still been passed , just been told by a man in the know that farmers will be paid a subsidy from the damage from pigeons , and any farmer found breaking the law will be fined and lose his subsidy ...now we are well and truly fooked .....no farmer is going to do that and lose out ...
packham...... is now having a go at the royal family asking them to release all there shooting land and turned them into nature reserves
wait till his turns his attention to fishing and he will mark my words..... :shrug:
my mate in the know says the BASC just rolled over and gave in ...probably political based tactic on there part :no:
shooting in England as we know it will decline rapidly and only the very privileged will carry on slaughtering thousands of pheasants ....rant over
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Oct 09 2021 20:23 -

think they have on a few occasions but its still been passed , just been told by a man in the know that farmers will be paid a subsidy from the damage from pigeons , and any farmer found breaking the law will be fined and lose his subsidy ...now we are well and truly fooked .....no farmer is going to do that and lose out ...
packham...... is now having a go at the royal family asking them to release all there shooting land and turned them into nature reserves
wait till his turns his attention to fishing and he will mark my words..... :shrug:
my mate in the know says the BASC just rolled over and gave in ...probably political based tactic on there part :no:
shooting in England as we know it will decline rapidly and only the very privileged will carry on slaughtering thousands of pheasants ....rant over

I read Packham had 100,000 signatures on the petition asking for Royal lands to be rewilded and used 100 children to deliver it to the Royal family at Buckingham Palace.
Does anyone know anyone who signed this petition, or heard anything about it being compiled?

Locally he had a car burnt out at his gated entrance. The photographs show a scorched wooden gate but he is claiming it was masked men attacking him 'again'.
Burning a stolen car is the normal behaviour of joy riders who do it to destroy any evidence.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 10:17 -

I read Packham had 100,000 signatures on the petition asking for Royal lands to be rewilded and used 100 children to deliver it to the Royal family at Buckingham Palace.
Does anyone know anyone who signed this petition, or heard anything about it being compiled?

Locally he had a car burnt out at his gated entrance. The photographs show a scorched wooden gate but he is claiming it was masked men attacking him 'again'.
Burning a stolen car is the normal behaviour of joy riders who do it to destroy any evidence.

Now he's saying he fears he'll be killed.

He certainly knows how to get publicity and manipulate the media.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 10:30 -

Hopefully old Lillybet will get him bumped off
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

he is like a modern day john Lennon very outspoken fella , but look what happened to Lennon in the end
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 19:50 -

he is like a modern day john Lennon very outspoken fella , but look what happened to Lennon in the end
Lennon wasn't widely taken seriously, but Packham is.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

And those words will only speed up any demise by a divide and rule nature ..

Shooting is no different than fishing .. divisive and fragmented by those who participate, we should be respectful of all disciplines and be united, the driven scene pumps 100's millions into the economy and into the environment\ habitat creation.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 20:20 -

Within the BBC maybe he is taken seriously but in the wider countryside, the world of the practicing conservationists and scientists he certainly isn't.
Who actually selects people like him to front a TV programme? People of the same ilk who thought the creepy smarmy Saville was wonderful whereas the teenagers like me watching and those on the programme couldnt understand why he was even there.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 08:37 -

Within the BBC maybe he is taken seriously but in the wider countryside, the world of the practicing conservationists and scientists he certainly isn't.
Who actually selects people like him to front a TV programme? People of the same ilk who thought the creepy smarmy Saville was wonderful whereas the teenagers like me watching and those on the programme couldnt understand why he was even there.

He's taken seriously on social media. And that counts these days.

He got picked for TV because he was young and 'punky' looking with green hair. producers love someone who is 'different'.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 08:46 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 08:37 -

He's taken seriously on social media. And that counts these days.

He got picked for TV because he was young and 'punky' looking with green hair. producers love someone who is 'different'.

You know any TV producers Dave? Met any? Worked with them?
I have and they are as normal as most other people perhaps just a little bit more anxious. But like everyone they want to get finished (wrapped) so they can go home.

Imagine being in an office in London, living in a flat in London and not even needing a car as you only leave London to go on holiday, then imagine how you go about selecting someone to front a programme your making. You look for someone like yourself but with the country idea you think exsists out in the sticks. Then you ask your assistant for a shortlist and select from that, if someone like you doesn't hear about your search and suggests a name.

Last edited by Mike J on Tue Oct 12 2021 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 22:20 -

Shooting is no different than fishing .. divisive and fragmented by those who participate, we should be respectful of all disciplines and be united, the driven scene pumps 100's millions into the economy and into the environment\ habitat creation.
not just the driven scene ...what about joe bloggs who just wants a few bunnys and pigeons , how is shooting pigeons any different , theres the divide for you ..we cant ,they will carry on , doesn,t seem very fair to me ......
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 21:57 -
Stewlaws wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 22:20 -

not just the driven scene ...what about joe bloggs who just wants a few bunnys and pigeons , how is shooting pigeons any different , theres the divide for you ..we cant ,they will carry on , doesn,t seem very fair to me ......
When pro shooters turn on shooters by suggesting the driven scene "will carry on slaughtering" it hardly paints a united front.....