Dog Flea treatment

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Dog Flea treatment

Post by Carlperkins »

What’s any good
Frontline plus seems ineffective and having spoke to the vet today they said it’s noticeable on haw bad this treatment has been this year.
🧐
That Perkins !!! 😂
juttle
Perch
Perch

Re: Dog Flea treatment

Post by juttle »

These have worked for all my dogs since I was introduced to them a while back. Bloody expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it!

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescr ... -c-21_2018

You’ll need a script from your vet though, so it’s probably going to work out the same price if you buy them from your vet. I’m paying £30 (ish) for one to treat a terrier!
Bob
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

NexGard Spectra from my vet. Flea Heartworm and Tick my mutt has never had any problems in the years i've been giving it to him.
One tablet every four weeks.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Diatomaceous earth. A quick Google will give you all the info.
Costs bugger all for a bag that'll last a year or two.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Had one of those Seresto collars on Benson since May.
Gave him a wash before going to Scotland. I forgot to pour on the frontline plus. Within 24 hours he had two ticks.
Nearest hardware store sold us the collar. Since the day it was on, no more ticks and no fleas.
Collar lasts 7-8months with no mess. Frontline sure requires a rethink for its application especially when the largest file is required.

Downside to collar is it’s on all the time and is grey.
(Dog doesn’t mind).
For the smaller dogs you cut to size.
Andy Carpenter
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 15:21 -
What’s any good
Frontline plus seems ineffective and having spoke to the vet today they said it’s noticeable on haw bad this treatment has been this year.
🧐
If you know any farmers,get some ivermectin/spot on,it's not licensed for pets but one or two drops on the back off the neck will last all summer,I use it every year on our cats,dogs and even my chickens,works a treat and will cost you next to nothing :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Tea tree oil shampoo...never had to flea my dogs
Quick squirt and rub in tea tree oil now and then
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 22:39 -
Your lucky your dog doesn’t mind TT oil.
All of our Rotties have hated it.
We used it on wounds etc, they have all reacted the same running round the house like their possessed, rubbing and rolling for five mins. They behave like a cat on a bed of cat nip :roll:

I’ve only got to take the pot out the cupboard, Benson gives me that look “you can F off with that” then charges off grumbling :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Cyprio wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 23:04 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 22:39 -
Your lucky your dog doesn’t mind TT oil.
All of our Rotties have hated it.
We used it on wounds etc, they have all reacted the same running round the house like their possessed, rubbing and rolling for five mins. They behave like a cat on a bed of cat nip :roll:

I’ve only got to take the pot out the cupboard, Benson gives me that look “you can F off with that” then charges off grumbling :laughs:
Funnily enough.....all mine did the same :laughs:

I used to bath my neos and rotts outside in a plaster bath.
Up until the moment I touched the bath they would be all over me like dogs are. In a flash they were gone as soon as they saw the bath being brought out the garage.
Remarkable how 200lb plus dogs can hide in little tiny places🤣
It was feckin hard work dragging them back to the bath I'll tell you
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Cheers for the replies
She’s just had a corn removed that was ingrown so as soon as She feels a bit less sorry for herself I will get something sorted.
Cancelled my pets at home subscription 👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Rob1980 wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 21:20 -
Carlperkins wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 15:21 -
What’s any good
🧐
If you know any farmers,get some ivermectin/spot on,it's not licensed for pets but one or two drops on the back off the neck will last all summer,I use it every year on our cats,dogs and even my chickens,works a treat and will cost you next to nothing :thumbs:

Ivermec Spot On is very very effective, it is used all over Europe and available off the shelf in pet type shops, you could probably get it in Ireland or from anyone going on a EU holiday. It might not be sold here but there wouldnt be any law against using it as it is the basis of all wormers and incecticides used on farm livestock.

Personally all my dogs just went in the sheep dip at the end of the day, the dip had an Organophosphorus base the same as in Ivermec and the same as in Ivermectin used to worm horses and sheep.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Bravecto is very very good.

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Dogs
Tea tree oil is toxic to both humans and pets if ingested orally. ... If you choose to topically apply tea tree oil to your dog, it must be properly diluted. When applied to the skin, 100% tea tree oil can leave a rash, irritate the skin, and cause an overall adverse reaction.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stronghold is what I use. Never had a problem with dogs. It doesn’t cover hook worm or lung worm.
Ivermectin is for injection and it will kill any dog that has collie in its make up. Not sure about the spot on version.
Haven’t seen a dog with fleas in 20 years.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Fri Sep 03 2021 10:40 -
Bravecto is very very good.

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Dogs
Tea tree oil is toxic to both humans and pets if ingested orally. ... If you choose to topically apply tea tree oil to your dog, it must be properly diluted. When applied to the skin, 100% tea tree oil can leave a rash, irritate the skin, and cause an overall adverse reaction.
I imagine being bathed with it in the shampoo is good enough dilution.
Never had a dog die or get sick using it.
Just a bit of oil rubbed behind the head/neck keeps fleas off and dogs cant lick it off.

Onions supposedly bad for dogs as well....try telli g Nell that..she eats em raw given a chance
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Well if you know the dilution it is.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
THORNY
Chub
Chub

Post by THORNY »

juttle wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 17:58 -
These have worked for all my dogs since I was introduced to them a while back. Bloody expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it!

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescr ... -c-21_2018

You’ll need a script from your vet though, so it’s probably going to work out the same price if you buy them from your vet. I’m paying £30 (ish) for one to treat a terrier!
Very good stuff definitely worth it :thumbs:
I think i pay £28 at my local vet and every fourth treatment is free
My Springer Spaniel just thinks it’s a treat :laughs:
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

If using the chemical insecticide treatments please remember not to let your pouches swim in nearby rivers etc. for a few weeks. These chemicals are really bad for aquatic life, especially insects etc., that fish fry rely on as their only food source during the early stage of growth once their egg sacs are depleted. By letting recently treated dogs to swim in rivers, all your doing is helping to kill off the fish; especially in the early summer months.

Otherwise I would recommend tea tree oil shampoo, worked wonders on my cat. It can also be diluted and sprayed around the house on carpets etc.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

When I was working the terriers I used to keep a barrel of water mixed with "Duramitex" dipped 2 or 3 times a year and never had any problems with fleas or ticks, if I remember rightly it was mainly used by the pigeon guys to kill ticks etc.
R
Pete
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

pete webster wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 14:04 -
When I was working the terriers I used to keep a barrel of water mixed with "Duramitex" dipped 2 or 3 times a year and never had any problems with fleas or ticks, if I remember rightly it was mainly used by the pigeon guys to kill ticks etc.
R
Pete
I remember an old tale about some lad who had a dog with fleas.
He mentioned it to an old timer in the pub and asked what he gave his dog when it had fleas.
He said "I give him a good dose of turpentine"
Week later the lad is back in the pub and collars the old timer.
Says "I gave my dog some turpentine like you said and it killed him"
Old lad says "arrgghh...it killed mine as well"
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

😂
That Perkins !!! 😂