Kennel Cough

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Kennel Cough

Post by Cyprio »

Poor Benson, started coughing yesterday morning, took him to vets last night to confirm. Vet said it’s top of their list at the moment.
All the Rotties I’ve had, not one has had this, guess he just picked it up sniffing around where other dogs had been.

Poor sod when he gets up sounds like my grandad used to after a night on the Woodbine’s. :pipe:

Today his not wanting to move from the bottom of the stairs it’s like he knows his going to cough as he gets up :cry:

Anyone else's pooch had this if so how long did it last.

Andy

8A9D1CE7-16A2-4C67-B90F-51F3666940B3.jpeg
:hug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Kennel Cough

Post by Happy Hayes »

Beautiful looking Dog .
Hopefully a speedy recovery. :handshake:
Regards
Tom
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

Benylin works for dog's
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Very handsome looking boy! Usually lasts between 1 and 3 weeks, possibly longer which needs extended treatment. Was he vaccinated? Hope your boy gets better real soon. Mike.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Poor thing. Put the telly on for him :thumbs:

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/tv/d ... p-22136507
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

His just seen the chicken breast coming out the freezer so perked up. Once his up his happy but when he stops you can tell he doesn’t want to move as he coughs.
Ref the vaccine until earlier today I didn’t know
About it. (One of the reasons I posted this) In all the years I’ve owned dogs I have only met one person whose dog suffered after their holiday.
Read today that instead of a spray up the nose they are going to bring out an injection.
We’ve both missed our walk today :sad:
Can see the belt going up a notch or two if this last 1-3 weeks :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Andy, a few years back it went through my my kennel, one after the other, they all had it, however they all recovered fairly quickly and with no lasting effects.
It is extremely infectious though so, try to keep him away form other dogs or areas that other dogs frequent.
He looks a big strong fella, I am sure he will shake it off in no time.

Will.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Will Smith wrote: Sat Nov 13 2021 20:14 -
Andy, a few years back it went through my my kennel, one after the other, they all had it, however they all recovered fairly quickly and with no lasting effects.
It is extremely infectious though so, try to keep him away form other dogs or areas that other dogs frequent.
He looks a big strong fella, I am sure he will shake it off in no time.

Will.
Thanks Will, it was “what to expect” which you and others had mentioned so I feel more relaxed for him :thumbs:
Bless him he didn’t move from the bottom of the stairs until midday. His not been out today other than the driveway, where he failed to bark but coughed his lungs up at the postman.
Good news is after sleeping all day (although the Bissel has been cleaning carpet all day :roll: ) the chicken came out the oven and he was standing proud polished it off and hasn’t coughed for just over an hour, so I’m guessing his bottling it up for when I go to bed :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

My boy Barkley has been inoculated from a pup against Kennel cough, but still went down with it when his immune system was working overtime earlier this year.

Despite everything else, it only lasted a couple of weeks. He's fit a a fiddle again now.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Alright bud, got it once in the kennel. My advice is no exercise for the length of time he’s coughing. If he lived in the house good but outside make sure his kennel is dry and draught free. There is no treatment only time. I jabbed mine with betamox just to be safe, but there was no need if I didn’t have it. Just the main thing is to make sure he doesn’t get sick from something else while he has the cough. It’s said that they cough for around 7 days but still able to pass it 7 after that.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

John Milford wrote: Sun Nov 14 2021 11:21 -
My boy Barkley has been inoculated from a pup against Kennel cough, but still went down with it when his immune system was working overtime earlier this year.

Despite everything else, it only lasted a couple of weeks. He's fit a a fiddle again now.
There’s a new vaccine for the cough every year as it mutates quickly. So he probably isn’t covered anymore.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

SmellySmelt wrote: Sun Nov 14 2021 14:27 -
John Milford wrote: Sun Nov 14 2021 11:21 -

There’s a new vaccine for the cough every year as it mutates quickly. So he probably isn’t covered anymore.
Yes. (He has a yearly booster)..
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Good to read Barkley is back to normal your heart was on a sleeve back then. You made the right choice. :cool:

He is much better today, has only coughed up a couple of foamy mucus yuk, has a dry cough after getting up every now and then.
The curing power of chicken. His alert and wanting to play, although we’re not and his ears are tuned to the fridge door. His eating well and drinking water.
A trip to the butchers tomorrow should keep his appetite and strength levels up. 😋
The vet did say owners feel worse than the dog :roll:
His way better than he was in the first 24hrs. His boosters are due Dec so looks like he will be getting a +1.
Andy Carpenter
sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

Andy, I hope Benson is on the mend but a word of caution.
My last Doberman developed a cough & we thought the same as you…kennel cough. After a few days she seemed over it & after an unenlightened trip to the vet we moved on. A couple of months later it was back again & soon after we had to have her pts after a rapid deterioration due to DCM (Dilated Cardio Myopothy) aged 6. At the time I hadn’t heard of this but after a lot of Google time it appears that several big breeds including Rotties, boxers & Danes are susceptible to this gene related heart disorder. It’s only really come to light in the past 15 odd years but it’s estimated that nearly 60% of European Doberman (& a not much smaller % worldwide) are carriers. It can’t be accurately diagnosed until the dog is 2 years old but dogs as young as 2 have died from it. Sometimes there are other symptoms (one being lethargy & exercise aversion) but sometimes young apparently heaththy dogs have just keeled over & died. Ive no idea the prevalence in Rotties but it’s become a massive factor in the Doberman owning community as so many Dobes have died between 2 & 7 in recent years as a result & there is no cure.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Appreciate your post Seb :handshake:
I had him checked out on Friday, his just turned three.
Defo keeping an eye on him. His energy levels are almost 100% now and his enjoying food. His due in to vets again Dec all being well he will be good.

A couple in our village had a rottie drop like a stone outside the village shop. They had walked only 10 mins.
That was heart fault less than a year old and had just had a routine non related check up day before all was good.

Got to enjoy them every day as if it was the first :wink:
Andy Carpenter
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

get the benylin down him
airbourne cough----and Im not too sure the treatments to stop it work that well. if you have more than one dog odds are they will all get it no matter what the vets give them. Just keep indoors in the warm and spoonfull of benners if it gets bad---be over in no time

vets make a lot of money out of "treating" kennel cough
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

We only have the one now Kev.
Benelli suggested benylin Bensons not too sure about it but washed down with a bit of chicken, he now accepts it :roll:
The vets we use are great to us. Checked him over, and as you and others have suggested keep him in he will ride it out. No charge.
His doing really well now. Only has a cough every now and then if he runs through the house.
Hopefully another week before we all get cabin fever :laughs:
Andy Carpenter