Game dealers

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Game dealers

Post by piker al »

Bells of Carlisle the local game dealer are charging 15p each to take in pheasants,blaming them being shot with lead so not allowed to go back into the uk food chain and no market abroad with brexit, bad news for shooting if it’s the same nationwide and only a matter of time before shot pheasants are being buried, giving the antis more fuel,
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Game dealers

Post by Stewlaws »

It's national the problem.. another nail unfortunately but the shooting fraternity has split with scientific fact on lead shot as I see Jonathan young editor of the field /past editor of shooting times has contradicted science based studies from the GWCT which was disappointing to read. (* Based on migratory woodcock not lead shot )

Shooting needs to look at itself a bit harder and start clarification on its distinction of a conservation group rather than just taking...

And that's coming from a pro shooting individual and pro hunt.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Stewlaws wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 20:51 -
It's national the problem.. another nail unfortunately but the shooting fraternity has split with scientific fact on lead shot as I see Jonathan young editor of the field /past editor of shooting times has contradicted science based studies from the GWCT which was disappointing to read. (* Based on migratory woodcock not lead shot )

Shooting needs to look at itself a bit harder and start clarification on its distinction of a conservation group rather than just taking...

Aye, there just walking into packhams hands, Lead has had its day and wasting all them birds isn’t going to help anyone, but it’s the working lads who will suffer, the big hitters won’t worry if it’s a £1 a shot up here it’s £55+ Vat per bird and 300 a day
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bismuth in 28guage is £36 per box of 25 ... I have a 1000 in Eley that I'm finding reluctant to shoot on clays.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Are most not going to dog food companies?
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Incineration on some places ...
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

The world has truly gone mad guys.
I shall carry on using lead shot for now (other than for over wet lands), and eating what I shoot.
The only drawback I can see with lead is having to fish out the shot from the toilet bowl :laughs: .
Also, lead shot are much kinder on your teeth, something I have found out to my own expense after having eaten game shot with steel.

Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Wasnt it the same with angling. No its not our lead shot killing the swans But we accepted the science and changed accordingly.

The GWCT was formally a research unit set up by IMI under the Eley brand but it has developed and eveloved into a well respected conservation organisation led by some excellent field scientists. If journalists and game shooters cannot see the wood for the trees they will go the way of the dinosaurs.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 10:03 -

Wasnt it the same with angling. No its not our lead shot killing the swans But we accepted the science and changed accordingly.

The GWCT was formally a research unit set up by IMI under the Eley brand but it has developed and eveloved into a well respected conservation organisation led by some excellent field scientists. If journalists and game shooters cannot see the wood for the trees they will go the way of the dinosaurs.

I think we did the normal angler thing mike and did nowt.
Later proof that dissolved lead in the water/plantlife from boat exhausts showed it not to be anglers shot killing the swans
And like us shitting out shot after eating it....didnt the birds do the same?
Des Taylor proved on one stretch of the severn the lead pollution was coming from bridge supports/foundations made of lead.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 10:35 -

Later proof that dissolved lead in the water/plantlife from boat exhausts showed it not to be anglers shot killing the swans
Des Taylor proved on one stretch of the severn the lead pollution was coming from bridge supports/foundations made of lead.
I was a disbeliever until I saw split lead shot in the gizzard of a dead mute swan.
Under the microscope it didn't even look like shot, small and misshapen by the grit in the gizzard. I told the scientist who was conducting the autopsy that it wasnt shot, to prove it was he opened the split in the shot!
I collected the swan, removed the gizzard and was present throughout.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 13:07 -

I was a disbeliever until I saw split lead shot in the gizzard of a dead mute swan.
Under the microscope it didn't even look like shot, small and misshapen by the grit in the gizzard. I told the scientist who was conducting the autopsy that it wasnt shot, to prove it was he opened the split in the shot!

Thats like finding a bloke who has a bullet in him and saying thats what killed him...and ignoring the knife in his back

Strange how after the lead shot ban swans carried on dying for many years.( yeah yeah they say they were swallowing shot in the mud)
Pure coinidence they stopped dying when unleaded fuel came on the scene Mike...or was it that leaded fuel was really the culprit?
Also strange that the swans living in marinas/near heavy boat traffic were the ones most affected by lead poisoning
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

piker al wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 21:43 -

Aye, there just walking into packhams hands, Lead has had its day and wasting all them birds isn’t going to help anyone, but it’s the working lads who will suffer, the big hitters won’t worry if it’s a £1 a shot up here it’s £55+ Vat per bird and 300 a day
Sadly, very true.
Peter Newman
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 14:46 -

Thats like finding a bloke who has a bullet in him and saying thats what killed him...and ignoring the knife in his back

Strange how after the lead shot ban swans carried on dying for many years.( yeah yeah they say they were swallowing shot in the mud)
Pure coinidence they stopped dying when unleaded fuel came on the scene Mike...or was it that leaded fuel was really the culprit?
Also strange that the swans living in marinas/near heavy boat traffic were the ones most affected by lead poisoning

I saw two pieces of split lead shot in a gizzard I removed from a dead swan. It proved to me the swan had ingested anglers split lead shot. It did not prove the swan died of lead poisoning. The same could be said of the presence of lead in some bridge.

The Sea Eagles released on the Isle of Wight have been fed in part on swans from the Avon Valley that died when they hit power lines. Do we assume the swans hit the power lines because they couldn't see them because a) it was foggy, b) the wires thin, or c) their eyesight has been impaired by lead poisoning?
Whatever, those Eagles are going to provide an interesting research subject for someone.

Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 21:08 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 14:46 -

I saw two pieces of split lead shot in a gizzard I removed from a dead swan. It proved to me the swan had ingested anglers split lead shot. It did not prove the swan died of lead poisoning. The same could be said of the presence of lead in some bridge.

The Sea Eagles released on the Isle of Wight have been fed in part on swans from the Avon Valley that died when they hit power lines. Do we assume the swans hit the power lines because they couldn't see them because a) it was foggy, b) the wires thin, or c) their eyesight has been impaired by lead poisoning?
Whatever, those Eagles are going to provide an interesting research subject for someone.

The waterway in question was tested by some boffins...no one knew the iron works of the bridge were embedded in lead till this was done and the lead readings above and below bridge were compared. A busybody was trying to get angling banned below the bridge due to swans dying of lead poisoning.
Des saved the day and busybody was fecked off.
Romans used lead in building construction...Fred Dibnah did a bit of messing around with it....feckin expensive mortar :laughs:
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

i have worked in nottingham town center ,replacing the lead gutters on buildings .This lead has been up there since the 1900s and earlier , these gutters are paper thin and the only thing to run down them is rainwater This made me think that if rainwater has picked up pollution and become slightly more acidic it would .over time cause this eroding of the lead ,
.when this water then gets into the trent it would dissolve any lost leads weights and enter the plants that the swans eat ,and its much easier to ban lead shot than clean up the atmosphere . and to pass the blame from industry to anglers
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

The boss lady is trying to get 2 Partridge for our Boxingday meal :yahoo:

Can she get some no way :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grant :santa:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week