Squirrels

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Squirrels

Post by Mike J »

On a visit to Mother-in-Laws she called my attention to a squirrel eating off her bird table, laughing as she told me it runs around the garden and plays on her patio. I was not amused and told her it needed discouraging or eliminating before it gets into the house and causes damage. She ignored me and kept feeding it.
Fast forward and the builders bill for damage to the house caused by the squirrel is £800+ and the electricians bill £190.
Last visit a Procull squirrel trap @ £40+, was deployed 07.15 problem solved 08.04.

80695954-8C34-4735-A8EC-DA3ABB9EF355.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike J on Sat Mar 05 2022 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Squirrels

Post by piker al »

Peking squirrel Mike
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

for flipsake don't tell Stewlaws :stew: AKA Stewpot
He will have it on the BBQ :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I have a few rat traps around the garden because of what my buddy Mr :rasp: said about bird feeders :thumbs:

And I have caught 2 and one in the garaged :wink:

They swim with the fishes now :laughs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I've had squirrels in the garden regularly for donkey's years. Total damage - £0, unless you count the pilfered bird food.

They keep my dog amused too. Open the shutters on the bay windows and she'll sit and watch her "telly" for hours, "SquirryVision" being her favourite program :thumbs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I like grey squirrels!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
MrBen
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MrBen »

Very easily dispatched with an air rifle, and best thing for them, rats with fluffy tails.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Friend has rang me up in tears, squirrels in her property, she rang rentokil who quoted £650 for a 4 visit call out, she then got in a private pest control at £50 per visit, she has had 4 call outs so far and still has this squirrel in her roof space, rented accommodation and she is probably going to end up paying more as the pest guy is in no particular hurry it seems to remove the issue... unfortunately she is other side of Birmingham so not 5 minutes away.. Squirrels are an issue if they find an access.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Mar 02 2022 21:26 -
Friend has rang me up in tears, squirrels in her property, she rang rentokil who quoted £650 for a 4 visit call out, she then got in a private pest control at £50 per visit, she has had 4 call outs so far and still has this squirrel in her roof space, rented accommodation and she is probably going to end up paying more as the pest guy is in no particular hurry it seems to remove the issue... unfortunately she is other side of Birmingham so not 5 minutes away.. Squirrels are an issue if they find an access.
Stewpot wasn't there a thing years ago that the Gov would give some cash for every grey tree rat killed :scratch:

And did you miss my post about your culinary skills with a Squirrel :confused: :giggle:

cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Did you mean that she rents the property, Stew? if so the surely its the landlords responsibility as the problem lies within the structure!

Cheers, ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

My sentiments entirely ref the landlord responsibility... unfortunately the landlord is neither sympathetic or willing to address the issue.

Next time we meet up Grant I have made something for everyone to try, failing that send me your address in a pm and I will send you some by courier .... no wastage in this house ! lol
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Stewlaws wrote: Thu Mar 03 2022 09:49 -
My sentiments entirely ref the landlord responsibility... unfortunately the landlord is neither sympathetic or willing to address the issue.

Next time we meet up Grant I have made something for everyone to try, failing that send me your address in a pm and I will send you some by courier .... no wastage in this house ! lol
I hope we do meet up Stew as I could chat to you all day you have such a wealth of knowledge in things I like buddy :thumbs:

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Update.
The evening after I trapped the first another squirrel was scampering around the garden but was shoood away by MiLaw before it discovered the trap :hissy:
Trap removed at night to stop catching any hedgehogs but laid this morning at 07.40. Squirrel arrived and 7.45 and killed at 07.50.
Bait was walnuts, they cant leave them alone it seemed.
I could have employed a rifle but it was miles away.

I have used traps since the Fenn came out and can honestly say that these Procull traps are very very efficient. Clean kill every time and not a spec of blood anywhere. They are also the only trap where you set the trigger before loading the power spring, this means your hand or fingers can be nowhere near the kill bar.
Even brand new the squirrel entered the trap without alarm.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

116 conibear is a great trap for the wee bighters
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Crackoff wrote: Thu Mar 03 2022 02:35 -
Stewpot wasn't there a thing years ago that the Gov would give some cash for every grey tree rat killed :scratch:

And did you miss my post about your culinary skills with a Squirrel :confused: :giggle:

Stew ran the squirrel over
I skinned and chucked it on the barby
I ate most of it and I think Benners threw up after having a bite...or was it the 4th bottle of wine that made him puke :rasp:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Ill ask Cookiesdaughter about the legal side of landlords responsibility in this case and let you know1

cheers, Alan
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 05:07 -

Ill ask Cookiesdaughter about the legal side of landlords responsibility in this case and let you know1

cheers, Alan
Thank you Alan, appreciate that.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 08:59 -

cheers, Alan
Just spoke to ,Megan and she is quite sure that with squirrels that it is the landlords responsibility at there must be a structural issue to allow the squirrels in but she said that to be sure contact "shelter" housing charity for free advice and of course the local council at the housing dept.
Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 09:53 -

cheers, Alan
Just spoke to ,Megan and she is quite sure that with squirrels that it is the landlords responsibility at there must be a structural issue to allow the squirrels in but she said that to be sure contact "shelter" housing charity for free advice and of course the local council at the housing dept.
Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alan

Squirrels will make their own entry point, Ive seen holes chewed through the board behind the gutter.
For anyone having to deal with them here are a few tips.
Squirrels can climb a brick wall.
There are always two points of entry/exit.
Do not let a pest controller take an air rifle into a loft while carrying a bag if they are charging per squirrel killed.
Do not allow anyone to set a Fenn type trap in the loft without it being enclosed in a tunnel, it is illegal if it is not.
They will chew everything from loft insulation to electricity cables.
Deadly fires have been caused by squirrels.

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Mar 05 2022 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 10:07 -

cheers, Alan
Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alan

Squirrels will make their own entry point, Ive seen noles chewed through the board behind the gutter.
Do not let a pest controller take an air rifle into a loft while carrying a bag if they are charging per squirrel killed.
Do not allow anyone to set a Fenn type trap in the loft without it being enclosed in a tunnel, it is illegal if it is not.

Being rodents ,Mike I am quite sure squirrels can make their own entry points causing a structural problems to facia board for example as you say, and so as Megan says is why its the landlords problem in Stews friends case.

Cheers, ALan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 12:31 -

cheers, Alan
Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alan

Squirrels will make their own entry point, Ive seen noles chewed through the board behind the gutter.

Being rodents ,Mike I am quite sure squirrels can make their own entry points causing a structural problems to facia board for example as you say, and so as Megan says is why its the landlords problem in Stews friends case.

Cheers, ALan

Didn't you post there must be a structural issue to allow squirrels in ?
But what if, as in the case I mentioned, the board was undamaged before the squirrel made the entry hole?

Devils advocate;
The landlord cannot be expect to fit armoured boards for a problem that didn't exist when the house was designed or refurbished.
If the tenant had encouraged squirrels by bird feeding they could be accused of causing the problem.

:shrug:

cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 15:57 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 12:31 -

cheers, Alan
Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, ALan

Didn't you post there must be a structural issue to allow squirrels in ?
But what if, as in the case I mentioned, the board was undamaged before the squirrel made the entry hole?

Devils advocate;
The landlord cannot be expect to fit armoured boards for a problem that didn't exist when the house was designed or refurbished.
If the tenant had encouraged squirrels by bird feeding they could be accused of causing the problem.

:shrug:

Good point but dont know in this case?

Cheers. Alan
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

update .. a pest control guy came out and set up a livetrap with peanut butter, 4 visits in zero squirrel in the trap, but she also asked for a handyman to afix the fascia as it was adrift, the new facia ended up with the squirrel hanging off it and chewing into it, she has scared it off several times but the persistence is odd behaviour this time of year, no sign of nesting according to the P/C guy or signs of young, (I wonder if the mild winter has brought forward gestation)? Seems odd as to why this squirrel is so fixated on entry ?

I'm going up Monday to try and assist with a few livetraps but really this rogue one needs a lump of lead behind its ear... North of Central Birmingham so no chance of that though, as would be pure folly to poke a barrel out without some serious repercussions!
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Mar 04 2022 20:40 -
update .. a pest control guy came out and set up a livetrap with peanut butter, 4 visits in zero squirrel in the trap, but she also asked for a handyman to afix the fascia as it was adrift, the new facia ended up with the squirrel hanging off it and chewing into it, she has scared it off several times but the persistence is odd behaviour this time of year, no sign of nesting according to the P/C guy or signs of young, (I wonder if the mild winter has brought forward gestation)? Seems odd as to why this squirrel is so fixated on entry ?

I'm going up Monday to try and assist with a few livetraps but really this rogue one needs a lump of lead behind its ear... North of Central Birmingham so no chance of that though, as would be pure folly to poke a barrel out without some serious repercussions!
During mid February I was getting young rabbits when out ferreting, must of been a couple of weeks old. So could be a good chance of young ones around somewhere.
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Stew I’m in Coventry, if the problem persists give us a shout, I’m sure I can deal with it
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Sat Mar 05 2022 18:09 -

Stew I’m in Coventry, if the problem persists give us a shout, I’m sure I can deal with it
Hi Brian, cheers buddy, hope you're well and appreciate the offer, I'm up Monday with some livetraps, hopefully all goes according... she backs onto a primary school with a forest school adjacent to her back garden, no doubt all the fluffy nutkins are individually named and tracked by class 6! lol
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: Wed Mar 02 2022 12:48 -
On a visit to Mother-in-Laws she called my attention to a squirrel eating off her bird table, laughing as she told me it runs around the garden and plays on her patio. I was not amused and told her it needed discouraging or eliminating before it gets into the house and causes damage. She ignored me and kept feeding it.
Fast forward and the builders bill for damage to the house caused by the squirrel is £800+ and the electricians bill £190.
Last visit a Procull squirrel trap @ £40+, was deployed 07.15 problem solved 08.04.

80695954-8C34-4735-A8EC-DA3ABB9EF355.jpeg

Was up Brum last night and inspected the traps in the roof space, the traps were a mix of fenn and a couple of Kania traps, cheaply made but effective looking for squirrels... not sure I want to be paying £75 a trap though for thin guaged galvanise units.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Are you referring the £75 to the Procull or something else Stew?

THE number one trap for squirrels and similar vermin is undoubtably the DOC (as designed by New Zealands Dept Of Conservation). Its a self-set and all the professionals Ive spoken to have given it the highest praise.

The Procull is almost its equal but the wire cage it is built into is flimsy and nothing like the gauge required. I have one of the original Mk4s and it still kills rats as clean as it did when it was new which is what I expect from a trap.

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Update;
Total squirrels killed 4. None seen since.

To repair the roof £2217 + VAT.
New sofits, facia to rear and gable end, replace guttering etc. MHSA regs require scaffolding etc. 10yr guarantee.