If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

The hunt

Post by piker al »

A4353E7D-7841-4074-A14D-69542B7CCAA5.png
Nice to see the hounds out again today, very wet start but not a bad afternoon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: The hunt

Post by Carlperkins »

👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I once had a hunt cross the road whilst I was digging a 1.2m trench with One of these

One of the horses came between the cones (road traffic management was a bit slacker back in the 90's) and dropped a leg in the trench much to the consternation of the rider.

I didn't give a f**k, not that I was against the hunt, I actually support it, It was just the arrogance of the landed gentry thinking he could ignore the cones and signs, prick! :w****r:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 06 2022 21:27 -
I once had a hunt cross the road whilst I was digging a 1.2m trench with One of these

One of the horses came between the cones (road traffic management was a bit slacker back in the 90's) and dropped a leg in the trench much to the consternation of the rider.

I didn't give a f**k, not that I was against the hunt, I actually support it, It was just the arrogance of the landed gentry thinking he could ignore the cones and signs, prick! :w****r:

Its a common mistake to think that everyone who hunts is from the land. In actual fact many are far from it as is possible to get. Ive hunted with two ladies who owned and ran dress shops in London, a private school teacher, agricultural rep. and even a local vicar.

I was a farm manager and I hunted in the season. But for that I worked all hours (with no extra for overtime) to get the wheat and barley drilled, sprayed, fertilised, combined and hauled back to the grain store where it often needed drying and recleaning. In between I ran 170 ewes, 12 sows and their offspring and 30-40bullocks, and I had to deal with the reps. sell the produce and keep up with the accounts.
The name of the game is you put the effort in when its required and enjoy your field sport when its slack.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: Mon Nov 07 2022 15:42 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 06 2022 21:27 -

Its a common mistake to think that everyone who hunts is from the land. In actual fact many are far from it as is possible to get. Ive hunted with two ladies who owned and ran dress shops in London, a private school teacher, agricultural rep. and even a local vicar.

I was a farm manager and I hunted in the season. But for that I worked all hours (with no extra for overtime) to get the wheat and barley drilled, sprayed, fertilised, combined and hauled back to the grain store where it often needed drying and recleaning. In between I ran 170 ewes, 12 sows and their offspring and 30-40bullocks, and I had to deal with the reps. sell the produce and keep up with the accounts.
The name of the game is you put the effort in when its required and enjoy your field sport when its slack.

I don't know his background Mike, he could have been another machine driver as far as I know and I concede my post may have been somewhat presumptuous but it doesn't change the fact that he was an arrogant prick!

As for the rest of your post, hardly relevant.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

In general, I support the hunt but couldn't get involved myself.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

I used to whip in to a pack of mink hounds in the summer and fox hounds(foot) in the winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

SmellySmelt wrote: Mon Nov 07 2022 22:52 -
I used to whip in to a pack of mink hounds in the summer and fox hounds(foot) in the winter.
Do u use the jack Russel’s for mink smelt ? Down the holes? Or something a bit heavier my mates got a couple of paterdale border crosses hardiest little b******s going
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

piker al wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 19:13 -
Do u use the jack Russel’s for mink smelt ? Down the holes? Or something a bit heavier my mates got a couple of paterdale border crosses hardiest little b******s going
We hunted/hunt the very very big mink. To be honest, they don’t need a very hard terrier because they always want to bolt to the water. The only thing is it can be dodgy at time because the burrow or log/root pile can be semi submerged and a terrier may drowned. That russel is very good at seeing them underwater after a bolt. I keep black terriers but not for the water. You couldn’t trust them off lead when with the hounds. They’d fook off and kill something :red:
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

SmellySmelt wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 19:49 -
We hunted/hunt the very very big mink. To be honest, they don’t need a very hard terrier because they always want to bolt to the water. The only thing is it can be dodgy at time because the burrow or log/root pile can be semi submerged and a terrier may drowned. That russel is very good at seeing them underwater after a bolt. I keep black terriers but not for the water. You couldn’t trust them off lead when with the hounds. They’d fook off and kill something :red:
Aye there deadly wee dogs, we don’t get any mink round here, just otters, lots of them
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

piker al wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 20:55 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 19:49 -
Aye there deadly wee dogs, we don’t get any mink round here, just otters, lots of them
Very big mink :wink: :wink:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

I used to go out with the Coniston fox hounds (foot)

And the Bickerton Beagles for the heres back in the day.

It was a hoot couldn't do it now these old knees wouldn't keep up :laughs:

Grant :santa:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Crackoff wrote: Tue Dec 06 2022 10:08 -

The Coniston used to have a very famous huntsman, do you remember his name?
I used to really enjoy reading the hunt reports of the fell packs in the Shooting Times back in the days of the black and white photographs.
image.jpg

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 08 2022 10:53 -

I used to really enjoy reading the hunt reports of the fell packs in the Shooting Times back in the days of the black and white photographs.
image.jpg

Mmmmmm why is it when I click on the photo it turns upside-down :scratch: :confused: :confused:

Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 08 2022 10:53 -

image.jpg

Joe Bowman?
Mark Dicky
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mark Dicky »

used to go out wi pennine fox hounds wen paul whitehead hunted em loved it foot packs best hunting there is