Her first woodcock

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Her first woodcock

Post by SmellySmelt »

Brought the young bitch out today. I had her out twice last year for a “look”. Managed to flush 5 woodcock out of heavy cover yesterday, got a shot at two and managed to hit one. She didn’t hesitate in retrieving her first one as some do. Onward and upwards from here. Bred this litter two years ago, 5 out of 7 are gone hunting and all are happy with how they are progressing.
Had a L&R snipe leaving the plane too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Her first woodcock

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Lovely looking dog you have their, you can’t beat watching a working dog.
Talking of Snipe, I shot a Fox Sat night , thought it was carrying a Pheasant at first but as I recovered cit discovered it was a Snipe, first time I’ve ever seen that
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Are the birds such as Woodcock and snipe eaten?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Dec 05 2022 15:44 -

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Dec 05 2022 17:56 -

Cheers, Alan
I kinda new that , Bob so I asked to confirm and it was nice to see the bird prepared with such care, just glad they are not simply shot for sport as they certainly dont need to be controlled!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Cheers, Alan
I eat what I shoot game wise anyways. Yeah plenty of ways to cook woodcock, never mind the French way with the guts, feck that! Roast, casserole, pan fry etc..
Snipe make great fajitas.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Mon Dec 05 2022 13:36 -
Lovely looking dog you have their, you can’t beat watching a working dog.
Talking of Snipe, I shot a Fox Sat night , thought it was carrying a Pheasant at first but as I recovered cit discovered it was a Snipe, first time I’ve ever seen that
Unlucky snipe!
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

SmellySmelt wrote: Mon Dec 05 2022 10:01 -
Brought the young bitch out today. I had her out twice last year for a “look”. Managed to flush 5 woodcock out of heavy cover yesterday, got a shot at two and managed to hit one. She didn’t hesitate in retrieving her first one as some do. Onward and upwards from here. Bred this litter two years ago, 5 out of 7 are gone hunting and all are happy with how they are progressing.
Great photo, and a lovely little dog you have there, mine are all getting old and are retired now, I miss working them though.
I see you are a Side by Side man as well :thumbs: , never could get away with an U&O.

Will.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Will Smith wrote: Tue Dec 06 2022 17:40 -
Great photo, and a lovely little dog you have there, mine are all getting old and are retired now, I miss working them though.
I see you are a Side by Side man as well :thumbs: , never could get away with an U&O.

Will.
Yes, love the side by side. It fits like a glove. Unfortunately the dogs don’t last forever (well the good ones!)
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

That’s her as a pup. The very rear occasion that they are aloud in the house, never mind on the sofa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Nice picture that mate, she’s a Bonny girl :thumbs: