Advice please, Cushings Disease

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Advice please, Cushings Disease

Post by greencard1 »

My staffie cross has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease.
I am going to talk to the vet about him tomorrow. I think he will have to have a special diet, medication and regular blood tests.
He is about 12 years old (rescue), and may have had undiagnosed Cushings for about a year already.
He also has a heart murmur.

Does anyone have any experience of this disease?
He is terrified of going to the vet. I want to do the right thing by him, but do not want him to suffer.

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks. John.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Re: Advice please, Cushings Disease

Post by SmellySmelt »

I hope this doesn’t sound too rash or trying to tell you what to do. If you think that it’ll help and improve his quality of life, then yes.
I personally wouldn’t be putting a dog on meds at 12 years old, not because I’m tight but because it’s lived it’s life at that age. Some children don’t get to see 12. So he’s a lucky lad. That’s just my opinion. All the best, it’s never easy.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Treat the dog as long as you feel is right for your pet, you know the animal best!
He may get used to visiting the vets and small price to pay for a good life. Give the dog a reward before and after going through the door.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

It's hard we had a "friend" that developed cushings and went on a good few years without to much hassle but with meds. only.
i'm sure you will know best when the time has arrived.
retired so time to smell the roses.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thanks all.

Much appreciated.
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

In had a Bijon Frise with it at around 12 years old, I gave her daily injections for over a year but I'm afraid it does get worse as time goes on with other side effects such as hair thinning / loss, then diabetes eventually kicks in as well then eventually you realise it's time to be kind and say goodbye.
If the dog is healthy apart from having cushings and responding to medication then it's only the same as a human being on long term medication.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thank you.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Had a phone call from the vet this morning stating that they had got my dog's results mixed up with a dog with the same name.

I am very relieved that, for the moment, I don't have to think about Cushings disease affecting my dog. I am still waiting for his results to come back; and of course he could have something serious, even Cushings Disease!

I am very sorry for the owner who is about to find out that their dog has the disease.

Bl@@dy animals...why do they affect us so much? I used to be a hairy @rsed field sports man. Can't do it any more. Gone soft.

Thanks to all who replied to my post. :thumbs:
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

So what your saying is hunting men are not good to their dogs? I can bet that most hunting dogs get looked after and fed better then the majority of pot lickers.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Not saying that at all SmellySmelt.

You have got the wrong end of the stick. :handshake:
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Bottom line is if your dog will have a good quality of life then it wont be a problem. If his quality of life deteriorates dramatically, then its not fair to put him through it. Its a tough call but you must put the dog before your own feelings. Been there too many times myself but i wont see any of my dogs suffer. Hope this helps.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thanks Mike.