epilepsy in dogs

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

epilepsy in dogs

Post by stubbojo »

my dog finn has had on average one fit a years , but from last august till now he has had five , last night he had one
its a very upsetting to see him like this , every time he has one he looks like he is going to die , its starting to stress us out a bit

any body had any knowledge on fitting in dogs and treatment ....
we have been to the vets , but they said he does not fit enough for the treatment yet

he started this about 5 years back and he is now 10 years old ......

regards steve
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: epilepsy in dogs

Post by Steve Dennington »

I had a german shepherd who started suffering fits from the age of 11. Whilst the first one was terrifying, further occurrences were dealt with in a somewhat calmer fashion!

Essentially, we were told to make sure she didn't hit her head on anything and to just ride it out. The fits generally only lasted a minute or so and then she took a while to get her bearings back - generally trying to get up too quickly and stumbling.

The fits started at the age of 11 and she had them regularly (at least one every couple of months) until she passed at the age of nearly 14, having enjoyed a full quality of life throughout and was doing a full lap of my local 18 acre pit at 13.5yrs, no probs.

The vet at the time suggested that there are drug-based treatments, but they basically zonk your dog's brainwaves to alleviate the fits, reducing quality of life. Given that description, I decided to simply look after her as and when the fits occurred, which is what I did, and I'm 100% certain that it was the right decision.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

My previous dog Jasper, a Jack Russell.
Suffered from fits all his life, Like yours, my vet said the fits weren’t frequent enough to treat.
Was horrible to encounter, I used to wrap him in a blanket and cuddle him until it passed, I used to hate them, And felt so helpless.
He lived until he was 13 and had cushings disease for the last couple years of his life.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

thanks for the feedback guys , its upsetting seeing him like this as he was such a healthy dog ,he is ok 15 minutes later , but we and the wife are in bits worrying about it
just something we have to live with , thanks for the sound advice food for thought

regards steve