1st gun.

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Re: 1st gun.

Post by delboy »

And when they started to sell crossbows in fishing tackle shops, I couldn't believe it. :afraid:
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

delboy wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 10:18 -
Taylorgilder wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 08:32 -
delboy wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 08:06 -
DSCF3787.JPG I just enjoy WATCHING them.
My wife loves the robins , blackbirds and sparrows that come into our garden to feed on the stuff she’s put out but cannot stand the woodies that consume the majority of it if she’s not keeping an eye out . Can be eating a meal or watching tv but will crazily leap up and run over to bang on the window as though she’s demented. Tried to encourage me to get an air pistol to sort them !
I dont like the magpies or jays that come, but I am not going to shoot them.....................I must be lucky as I sit in my garden at some point most days and just watch the wildlife doing what they do, it is probably why I started fishing in the first place a million years ago, when I was young I always thought all fisherman had a love of the countryside and wildlife...........how wrong was I.
But you’re ok sticking hooks into fish. Hypocrite
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Mon Jun 19 2023 21:33 -
delboy wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 10:18 -
Taylorgilder wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 08:32 -
delboy wrote: Sun Jun 18 2023 08:06 -
DSCF3787.JPG I just enjoy WATCHING them.
My wife loves the robins , blackbirds and sparrows that come into our garden to feed on the stuff she’s put out but cannot stand the woodies that consume the majority of it if she’s not keeping an eye out . Can be eating a meal or watching tv but will crazily leap up and run over to bang on the window as though she’s demented. Tried to encourage me to get an air pistol to sort them !
I dont like the magpies or jays that come, but I am not going to shoot them.....................I must be lucky as I sit in my garden at some point most days and just watch the wildlife doing what they do, it is probably why I started fishing in the first place a million years ago, when I was young I always thought all fisherman had a love of the countryside and wildlife...........how wrong was I.
But you’re ok sticking hooks into fish. Hypocrite
:tea:
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

And I thought I was a f*****g idiot,
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

As far as I know, we dont know if fish feel pain, But I would think that getting a arrow through their head might hurt a bit or getting shot up their a**e might not be much fun either
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Jun 11 2023 14:05 -
I am looking to buy my very 1st gun and want some advice.
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?
All I know is after a few goes that I want a pcp if thats what they are called?
What I intend is to use it for paper punching and some of the s**t arsed pigeons!

Cheers, Alan
Hi Al,
Check where you live as you will probably be restricted to none lead pellets. Wouldn't want you to upset that clown on cuntryfile.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

If you want to go down the air gun route i had the Air Arms S410 HC 177 , what a gun can hit a 5p at 40 yrds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

steve a pac wrote: Sun Jul 02 2023 20:14 -
If you want to go down the air gun route i had the Air Arms S410 HC 177 , what a gun can hit a 5p at 40 yrds.
Nice !
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

AirArms S400 or if you want multishot S410
If shooting at close range, .22 will be fine, .177 is better i.e. easier for longer ranges.
I used to do a lot of pest control, so have them In both calibers
AirArms have been my choice for years, nice simple accurate and very easy to service yourself ( which saves money)
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

It's the bloody parakeet's that I cant stand.

We have dozens of them around the garden.

They strip my apple tree of young un-ripened apples.

If there were not other houses around me, they would be the target.
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 21 2023 08:51 -
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?
What I intend is to use it for paper punching and some of the s**t arsed pigeons!

Cheers, Alan
Hi Al,
Check where you live as you will probably be restricted to none lead pellets. Wouldn't want you to upset that clown on cuntryfile.

No restrictions yet
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Roger5 wrote: Sat Jul 08 2023 09:24 -
AirArms S400 or if you want multishot S410
If shooting at close range, .22 will be fine, .177 is better i.e. easier for longer ranges.
I used to do a lot of pest control, so have them In both calibers
AirArms have been my choice for years, nice simple accurate and very easy to service yourself ( which saves money)
Ill stick with this bad boy for pest control.... :wink:
IMG_0781.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,
You do not mention the area of which you wish to shoot your intended air weapon. If you are shooting in your garden please be aware that it is illegal to fire an air weapon in a manner that permits the projectile (pellet) to leave your property. Also many Police Forces have a preference for all air weapons to be held in a secure cabinet when not in use.

Air weapons and the Law https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -to-safety

Regards, Mike.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

steve a pac wrote: Sun Jul 02 2023 20:14 -
I ha the 400 (single shot) and put a mod on it to make it a multi shot, brilliant bit of kit!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 11 2023 17:53 -
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,
You do not mention the area of which you wish to shoot your intended air weapon. If you are shooting in your garden please be aware that it is illegal to fire an air weapon in a manner that permits the projectile (pellet) to leave your property. Also many Police Forces have a preference for all air weapons to be held in a secure cabinet when not in use.

Regards, Mike.
They might have a preference Mike but it isn't required by law. You can carry an air rifle in the street as long as it's concealed in a slip/bag.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Jul 11 2023 18:08 -
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Regards, Mike.
They might have a preference Mike but it isn't required by law. You can carry an air rifle in the street as long as it's concealed in a slip/bag.

Re carrying in a public place, perhaps we should also mention that a legal reason is required to do so.

Despite my request for privacy a UK Customs Officer insisted on opening my ATA firearms case in full view of passengers departing the terminal (Luton :roll: ). In other countries my ATA case has been carried by an armed officer from the moment I entered, left the terminal or it was passed to the flight crew.

Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Regards, Mike.
Bob it’s illegal for any weapons projectile to travel beyond your boundaries, or boundaries you have permission to shoot over.

You’re right though, there is no legal requirement for an air weapon to be cased in the home. Obviously however, it dose need to be slipped if you intend taking it out in public. :wink:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Regards, Mike.
Thanks for that, Mike :thumbs:

Cheers,Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Wed Jul 12 2023 03:02 -
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Regards, Mike.
Bob it’s illegal for any weapons projectile to travel beyond your boundaries, or boundaries you have permission to shoot over.

You’re right though, there is no legal requirement for an air weapon to be cased in the home. Obviously however, it dose need to be slipped if you intend taking it out in public. :wink:
I did know that, Mike mentioned it so I didn't bother!

Back garden plinking is a bit of a considered effort for me as I have neighbours left, right and rear.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Also if your neighbours aren't comfortable with an air rifle being used however legally in your garden I believe you have to stop.

Always best to store your rifles in a cabinet albeit not a legal requirement but if you have children under the age of 18 ( not to sure of the age might be lower) you have to store them in a locked cupboard or room.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Jul 12 2023 17:50 -
Edward.P.A.C wrote: Wed Jul 12 2023 03:02 -
Where and what to buy?
.22 or .177?

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Regards, Mike.

I did know that, Mike mentioned it so I didn't bother!

Back garden plinking is a bit of a considered effort for me as I have neighbours left, right and rear.
:thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

del those jays and magpies devastate young song birds if left unchecked , a magpie will kill and eat a nest full of black birds or robins or any chicks
when people feed the birds there also feeding vermin which do cause a host of deceases and damage to your home

its all about balance ......same with wood pigeons they cause hell of amount of farm crop damage .......they need culling every winter .
the same with the otters and cormorants all getting out of natures balance seals as well .......its has the knock on effect .

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

my neighbour at the back of my garden feeds the birds heaverly , but without knowing ....people just are not aware that the rats will move in to a food source .
he never had a problem with the rats as they decided to live in my garden under the log store .......the job i had getting rid of those dirty b*****d things they were in my garage , under my pond and even invaded the house next door and got in her loft at one point ,......all because he wanted to feed his birds .
had to go around and explain the problem to him as i started to poison them methodically took about 6 months to eradicate .......
as far as i know he does not feed them now ........just be aware there dont live far away from free food
Wayneelman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Wayneelman »

GAMO VARMINT.10 shot 177.Even likes Marksman pellets. Cheap as chips 🍟.
Wayneelman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Wayneelman »

Poisons a bit insidious ..could have a knock on effect in the food chain. Trap or shooting 🔫 .But your correct....take out the shelter and food options and they will move on to someone else's problem.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Dont feed the birds all year and you remove the permanent food source!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I’ve got a Winchester model 45 in 177 which I use for knock down targets in the garden. Very pleased with it. Was about £300 about a year ago.

Jack