Sprout the Merlin

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sprout the Merlin

Post by davelumb »

Not something I expected to see on my evening walk. A young merlin being trained. A pity it was almost sunset which made getting decent pics tricky as I hadn't taken a very good lens with me as I wasn't expecting to see anything interesting...
_7513331.jpg
_7513343.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Sprout the Merlin

Post by suffolk si »

Lovely little birds😎
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Thu Sep 21 2023 21:31 -
Lovely little birds😎
Indeed. And gourmet dining on quail!
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Is that the merlin on the left?
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: ↑Thu Sep 21 2023 20:51 -
Not something I expected to see on my evening walk. A young merlin being trained. A pity it was almost sunset which made getting decent pics tricky as I hadn't taken a very good lens with me as I wasn't expecting to see anything interesting...

_7513331.jpg_7513343.jpg
:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Very nice Dave and quite an unusual sight to see.

will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Will Smith wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22 2023 09:48 -

will.
The chap has other merlin, three I think he said. A pair of peregrines and a couple of Harris hawks. But he's downsizing and passing a couple of the larger birds on to new homes.

The merlin had only been in training for a couple of weeks and the Harris he had with him even less. A pity it was so dark or I might have got some better pics. Most were out of focus or just plain crap! But interesting to see and listen to the chap talking about his birds.
_7513345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Superb. Love birds of prey. πŸ‘
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Lovely birds, I notice the Merlin has a tracking device on it, must make it easier to find lost birds.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

davelumb wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22 2023 10:43 -

will.
The chap has other merlin, three I think he said. A pair of peregrines and a couple of Harris hawks. But he's downsizing and passing a couple of the larger birds on to new homes.

The merlin had only been in training for a couple of weeks and the Harris he had with him even less. A pity it was so dark or I might have got some better pics. Most were out of focus or just plain crap! But interesting to see and listen to the chap talking about his birds.

_7513345.jpg
It is a subject that has long fascinated me Dave and have often thought about taking up the sport of hunting with birds, maybe one day :wink: .

Will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23 2023 08:27 -
Lovely birds, I notice the Merlin has a tracking device on it, must make it easier to find lost birds.

Regards

Martin
That's right.
Will Smith wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23 2023 10:36 -

will.

_7513345.jpg
It is a subject that has long fascinated me Dave and have often thought about taking up the sport of hunting with birds, maybe one day :wink: .

Will.
This chap said he doesn't hunt much these days. He's hoping to train these two new birds to fly to a drone in the case of the merlin and to a remote control model aeroplane, made of some kind of foam, that looks like a crow for the hawk! His plan with the drone is to suspend a lure from it on a mechanism that will let the lure fall free so the merlin will stoop to the lure. :dizzy:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23 2023 19:04 -
martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23 2023 08:27 -

Regards

Martin
That's right.
Will Smith wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23 2023 10:36 -

will.

_7513345.jpg

Will.
This chap said he doesn't hunt much these days. He's hoping to train these two new birds to fly to a drone in the case of the merlin and to a remote control model aeroplane, made of some kind of foam, that looks like a crow for the hawk! His plan with the drone is to suspend a lure from it on a mechanism that will let the lure fall free so the merlin will stoop to the lure. :dizzy:
Well, as longs he enjoys that, I don't suppose he is doing an harm.

Will.
gary j stockton
Roach
Roach

Post by gary j stockton »

I bet it made your day dave it would have mine, love pics that make me think, thank you.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

gary j stockton wrote: ↑Sun Sep 24 2023 14:57 -
I bet it made your day dave it would have mine, love pics that make me think, thank you.
Cheers. Yes it did make my previously dull day. :grin: