Best hunting catapult?

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Best hunting catapult?

Post by Ben »

As per the title, what’s the number one to buy?
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Best hunting catapult?

Post by Cyprio »

Depends what your quarry. I've had Barnett Pro-Diablo Catapult and the Black widow.
The Diablo was accurate with practice. Took out Pidgeon's in trees and Rats and Mice.
Soon stopped using them for Two reasons, 1st Kill shot ability, 2nd dangerous to the operator and surroundings :laughs:

They were always fun for targets but if used for control instant effect is the correct way and I couldn't be that accurate. If its vermin a Co2 or Air rifle better.
Using it in and around buildings was like playing Russian Roulette :afraid:
The shot could come back at you from any angle you never thought possible :wink:

I like many also had the Black Widows for Fishing. Would only recommend one with a Forearm support. The ones without IMO Because of the pressure applied, if my grip slipped could cause harm to me.
I've not used one for years, as Air guns got better and more efficient with PCP and like I said above Instant dispatch is always required when Hunting :wink:
Andy Carpenter
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Just had an inquisitive search.
Check this site out Ben :cool:
https://cattyshack.co.uk/
Andy Carpenter
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Thanks Andy 👍🏼

Agree on the Air Gun but can’t be used in the area where the quarry will be, it’s outside so no worries about the projectile coming back at me.

I used to have a link saved for a guy who made lovely laminated cattys but I can’t find it now.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mine is ages old but Ive always known it as a Wrist Rocket. Its got a steel brace that folds out over your wrist. I believe they are used in the US in drive bys, ball bearing at people of colour hanging on street corners.
Mine was to punch stones over plantations to move deer out, bashed the bottom put of few drays and maggie nests as well.
Ive changed the elastic a few times but it would drive a threepenny bit through the side door of an old Beetle I had on the farm.
Wont post a pic but happy via PM ?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I have one of these, lethal, I was quite accurate with it but haven't used it for a while. I practised in the garden with 9mm ball bearings, shooting into an air rifle pellet catching target holder. I've taken rabbits and woodies with it, all for the table.

A mate makes his own with G10 laminates, different woods, aluminium etc, he has quite a collection and can shoot the nads off a gnat at 20 yards.
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

Have a look at wasp slingshots, ideal for beginners. I've took all kinds of vermin with mine.
Bob Barker
Perch
Perch

Post by Bob Barker »

Mike J wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 12:23 -
Mine is ages old but Ive always known it as a Wrist Rocket. Its got a steel brace that folds out over your wrist. I believe they are used in the US in drive bys, ball bearing at people of colour hanging on street corners.
Mine was to punch stones over plantations to move deer out, bashed the bottom put of few drays and maggie nests as well.
Ive changed the elastic a few times but it would drive a threepenny bit through the side door of an old Beetle I had on the farm.

https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/saunder ... escription

https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/saunder ... -ammo.html

:thumbs:
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Barker wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 19:22 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 12:23 -

https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/saunder ... escription

https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/saunder ... -ammo.html

:thumbs:

Nope.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

Ben wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 08:52 -
Thanks Andy 👍🏼

Agree on the Air Gun but can’t be used in the area where the quarry will be, it’s outside so no worries about the projectile coming back at me.

I used to have a link saved for a guy who made lovely laminated cattys but I can’t find it now.
That could well be "Gamekeeper John" - He makes some really impressive catapults!
I don't have a link for him but a quick "Google" will find him. He also has a good youtube fishing channel!
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Frenchieboy wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 11:05 -
Ben wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 08:52 -
Thanks Andy 👍🏼

That could well be "Gamekeeper John" - He makes some really impressive catapults!
I don't have a link for him but a quick "Google" will find him. He also has a good youtube fishing channel!
That’s the badger! Nice one pal 👍🏼
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Here is mine.

Didnt know the legality of posting pics of big cattys hence the delay
The 10cm 'larstic is super powerful and came from a gun shop in Spain where it is used by hunters. Probably takes 40lbs to pull it right back, not now tho its a bit perished.

F876B598-FFA1-44BC-B3A3-8148916B23CA.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

I've used Wasp and Cattyshack in the past and can recommend both of them.

Had some off ebay as well.

All mine have flat bands on as i find those have greater accuracy personally, the bands do wear out though so need replacing.

Will try and post some pictures of my cattys later, i have about 10!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

spincityfan wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 14:05 -

All mine have flat bands on as i find those have greater accuracy personally, the bands do wear out though so need replacing.

I'm sure you know but for anyone wanting to build their own or replace flat bands, the usual goto is this stuff in various strength ratings, I think gold is the one :shrug:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Mike J wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 12:57 -
Here is mine.

Didnt know the legality of posting pics of big cattys hence the delay
The 10cm 'larstic is super powerful and came from a gun shop in Spain where it is used by hunters. Probably takes 40lbs to pull it right back, not now tho its a bit perished.

F876B598-FFA1-44BC-B3A3-8148916B23CA.jpeg

Mike that’s what us early Carper’s know as the Black widow. :wink:
I still have a couple buried in a draw somewhere.

Surprising reading this thread how many have dabbled.
And how niche the pastime is :cool:
Andy Carpenter
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 09:48 -

I'm sure you know but for anyone wanting to build their own or replace flat bands, the usual goto is this stuff in various strength ratings, I think gold is the one :shrug:
Thats what everyone used to use, the quality went downhill and the thickness varies greatly even on the same roll.

The stuff I use now is called Snipersling and GZK. The thickness is much more consistant

Mr Ash Shaw
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Here are the Catties I have to hand, do have more but not sure where!

number 1 is made from G10, from someone on Ebay.
number 2 is made from 8mm thick stainless and from Wayne at Cattyshack and is a chunk, he does polycarb versions as well.
number 3 and 4 are made from polycarb from Wasp slingshots, these are nice for keeping in your pocket.
number 5 is made from Titanium and came from GZK in China.
20231105_163317.jpg
20231105_163423.jpg
20231105_163436.jpg
I started it as something to do during lockdown and carried on from there. Only shoot targets though.

You can buy the bands readymade from ebay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Ash Shaw
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

spincityfan wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 17:29 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 09:48 -

Thats what everyone used to use, the quality went downhill and the thickness varies greatly even on the same roll.

The stuff I use now is called Snipersling and GZK. The thickness is much more consistant
:thumbs: I'm out of the loop so my knowledge is a bit dated, as with my air rifle shooting.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

spincityfan wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 17:48 -

number 2 is made from 8mm thick stainless and from Wayne at Cattyshack and is a chunk, he does polycarb versions as well.
number 3 and 4 are made from polycarb from Wasp slingshots, these are nice for keeping in your pocket.

20231105_163317.jpg
20231105_163423.jpg
20231105_163436.jpg

I started it as something to do during lockdown and carried on from there. Only shoot targets though.

Nice, personally, I like the G10 as I do on bushcraft knife handles as liners between tang and scales.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 19:09 -

20231105_163317.jpg
20231105_163423.jpg
20231105_163436.jpg

Nice, personally, I like the G10 as I do on bushcraft knife handles as liners between tang and scales.
The G10 is my favourite too, so precise. Can hit a 20mm target 4 out of 5 shots at the end of the garden (8 metres) with that one.

Bet it makes nice knife handles too.

Mr Ash Shaw
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

spincityfan wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 19:24 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 19:09 -

20231105_163317.jpg
20231105_163423.jpg
20231105_163436.jpg

The G10 is my favourite too, so precise. Can hit a 20mm target 4 out of 5 shots at the end of the garden (8 metres) with that one.

Bet it makes nice knife handles too.
My pellet trap is on a fence post at about 10m diagonally, corner to corner in my garden, I went out yesterday (inspiration from this thread) with the diablo and hit 4 out of a pocket full of 9mm balls, maybe about 20. I bought hundreds a few months ago with the intention of getting back out but my mojo for everything is at an all time low.

I need to practise again, when I was at it I might have missed 2-3 times out of 20.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

It is certainly addictive when you get into it, will get my catch box out this week hopefully

Mr Ash Shaw