Bygone era

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Bygone era

Post by Stewlaws »

https://www.facebook.com/FenlandOnFilm/ ... tid=bKks23

May of been posted prior.. slightly staged but a good portrayal of a bygone age.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Bygone era

Post by piker al »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Nov 13 2023 13:16 -

May of been posted prior.. slightly staged but a good portrayal of a bygone age.
Saw a couple of lads Punt gunning on the solway last winter Stew,
They spent all week drifting up and down the channel trying to get in among the flocks of duck
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

piker al wrote: Mon Nov 13 2023 20:02 -
Stewlaws wrote: Mon Nov 13 2023 13:16 -

Saw a couple of lads Punt gunning on the solway last winter Stew,
They spent all week drifting up and down the channel trying to get in among the flocks of duck
Amazes me, lying over that breech and the anticipation of the shot, must be a phenomenal feeling stalking those flocks.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

A friend of mine still owns that punt and the wash where it was filmed where we still shoot duck now. Unfortunately not the punt gun, but he does know where it is and has been trying to buy it for years. The book about Ernie James is very good and worth finding, Memories of a Fen Tiger. He was a local character in Welney and lived by the Old Bedford, several locals still remember him.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

fenland piker wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 15:45 -
The book about Ernie James is very good and worth finding, Memories of a Fen Tiger. He was a local character in Welney and lived by the Old Bedford, several locals still remember him.
A cracker mate if you're interested in the way of life back then, a very good read. :thumbs:

I have another one called Fenland Chronicle in which Sybil Marshall recollects the stories of two Fentigers William Henry and Mary Kate Edwards, who were her parents born and bred in the Huntingdonshire Fenland of lodes, windmills, canal barges and peat cuttings. It was first published in 1969. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
fenfisher55
Roach
Roach

Post by fenfisher55 »

Fentiger01 wrote: Sat Nov 25 2023 20:09 -
The book about Ernie James is very good and worth finding, Memories of a Fen Tiger. He was a local character in Welney and lived by the Old Bedford, several locals still remember him.
A cracker mate if you're interested in the way of life back then, a very good read. :thumbs:

I have another one called Fenland Chronicle in which Sybil Marshall recollects the stories of two Fentigers William Henry and Mary Kate Edwards, who were her parents born and bred in the Huntingdonshire Fenland of lodes, windmills, canal barges and peat cuttings. It was first published in 1969. :thumbs:
She did a couple more, which i have copies of "A Pride of Tigers and A Silver new Nothing" spring to mind, she was raised between Ramsey St Mary's and Ramsey Heights on the edge of the Old Whittlesey Mere. Oh by the way we have no canals around here but we do have a lot of drains!

Its also not a forgotten era, when i was looking at the house where i now live, someone was beaching their gunning punt 100yds from my house, That man was Phillip Gray Its worth reading his books "Washlanders and A Fenland Fowler"
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

fenfisher55 wrote: Sun Dec 03 2023 18:06 -
Fentiger01 wrote: Sat Nov 25 2023 20:09 -

She did a couple more, which i have copies of "A Pride of Tigers and A Silver new Nothing" spring to mind, she was raised between Ramsey St Mary's and Ramsey Heights on the edge of the Old Whittlesey Mere. Oh by the way we have no canals around here but we do have a lot of drains!

Its also not a forgotten era, when i was looking at the house where i now live, someone was beaching their gunning punt 100yds from my house, That man was Phillip Gray Its worth reading his books "Washlanders and A Fenland Fowler"
There are a few canal barges on some of the waters though and especially so on the rivers. Those words were part of the description on the back of her book.

I'll look out for those other books, I have plenty around the history / draining of the lands but few about individual folk. Another good book if you haven't read it, is 'From Punt to Plough'. Well worth a read.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!