Pros and cons of getting a second dog?

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Andy C
Stickleback
Stickleback

Pros and cons of getting a second dog?

Post by Andy C »

Hi all,

We've thought about it for a while now, but are put off a bit, the dog we already have is a 3 year old Sprollie. The Collie side of him is definately the most noticable
and obviously gives him some very strong character traits. One being it takes him quite a while to get used to other dogs in his space, I think his intelligence makes him very stubborn, but then out of the blue a dog will come close to us on the beach and he'll go straight into play mode and I'll think wtf

He can also slip into working Collie mode while out on walks and dogs that get to close run the risk of getting a nip, to control this we now always have him on a long line on the beach, and book several trips to a secure dog field each week so he gets his own space.

Personally I don't think he'd like it now he's been with us for 3 years.

Thanks Andy
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Re: Pros and cons of getting a second dog?

Post by SmellySmelt »

I don’t know how to say this without coming across as a nob but….. it’s your house and if you get another dog he’ll have to put up with it. They’ll find their pecking order, you’re at the top remember. If you get a pup, the older dog will settle in with it. If you give off nervous signals by worrying about how he takes to a new dog, the older one will know. I’ve had some fairly dominant dogs in my time and they learn to live with each other. You can’t compare a strange dog getting in your dogs face out on a walk , to a new pup in your house.
This is coming from someone that has had 9 dogs at one time and looked after 140 fox hounds in kennels.
I think you can keep a second dog and not really notice any extra work, but 3 dogs and you’ll see the difference.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

I’ve only had Rotties and always two. One Dog & a Bitch. As one passed the other was purchased. Our last pair left a huge hole in our lives and we went a year without a dog.

Now we have Benson and his great with people craves the attention of other dogs, but because of his energy most just bark angrily at him. Fortunately he doesn’t react.
He loves small dogs and will lie down and wait for them to stop barking then it’s play time.

We had similar thoughts to you, and did think about getting him a small playmate, (that I could take fishing).
But the last four years the breeders are crossing everything to make money and the thought of getting a neurotic little s**t like the ones we meet in the park soon squashed that idea.
As they say better the devil you know than the ones you don’t. But they are pack animals (can’t try and think like a dog) and a mate could give yours the security and confidence when out and about. A dog can be trained to the max but some just have issues, just hope you don’t get a yapper! :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

SmellySmelt wrote: Mon Jan 08 2024 23:54 -
I don’t know how to say this without coming across as a nob but….. it’s your house and if you get another dog he’ll have to put up with it. They’ll find their pecking order, you’re at the top remember. If you get a pup, the older dog will settle in with it. If you give off nervous signals by worrying about how he takes to a new dog, the older one will know. I’ve had some fairly dominant dogs in my time and they learn to live with each other. You can’t compare a strange dog getting in your dogs face out on a walk , to a new pup in your house.
This is coming from someone that has had 9 dogs at one time and looked after 140 fox hounds in kennels.
I think you can keep a second dog and not really notice any extra work, but 3 dogs and you’ll see the difference.
:thumbs:
Couldn't have put it better..!

A dog is either a pack member or the alpha. And in a house it always (or should be if trained properly) a member of the pack. You being the alpha.
They will always find their own standing within a pack (household). There maybe a few early teething issues once you bring a new dog in. But that will soon sort itself out.

Had 2 spaniels for years, and once I retire will get a 3rd. Wifey won't let me have 3 while I still work away. I always try and get them with a couple of years separation, (same as having kids :laughs: ) so that when you loose one bringing a new one into the home it will have a well adjusted "pack" to learn from.

We've had the cat 13yrs, the sprocker is 7 and cocker 4. So the cats top dog :roll: :laughs:
IMG_1070.jpeg
Best working dog Ive ever had. Ruby springerdoor...
IMG_0140.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Tue Jan 09 2024 05:34 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Mon Jan 08 2024 23:54 -
:thumbs:
Couldn't have put it better..!

A dog is either a pack member or the alpha. And in a house it always (or should be if trained properly) a member of the pack. You being the alpha.
They will always find their own standing within a pack (household). There maybe a few early teething issues once you bring a new dog in. But that will soon sort itself out.

Had 2 spaniels for years, and once I retire will get a 3rd. Wifey won't let me have 3 while I still work away. I always try and get them with a couple of years separation, (same as having kids :laughs: ) so that when you loose one bringing a new one into the home it will have a well adjusted "pack" to learn from.

We've had the cat 13yrs, the sprocker is 7 and cocker 4. So the cats top dog :roll: :laughs:
IMG_1070.jpeg

Best working dog Ive ever had. Ruby springerdoor...IMG_0140.jpeg

If only people realised that dog ownership was a pack experience, I had several reinforcements on my dogs that ranged from walking through gateways or over stiles was myself first, they would only eat from their dishes once I released them from a sit, and in the kennel they would come out under name and in my order of dog, the only time I never gave them any commands was once in a safe spot (kennel) there they would sort their own order out. Next dogs I get will probably be indoors and indoor crate as their 'safe space' so they can unwind away from the alpha! lol
Andy C
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Andy C »

Thanks for the replies, you guys have really made me think.

Your right Smellysmelt, bringing another dog into the house should be a lot different to those we meet out.

We have probably been worrying too much about early teething issues, we've never had 2 dogs at once.

Andy