Picture orientation.

Tell of us any technical problems in here, there are also a lot of FAQs listed
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Picture orientation.

Post by Bob Watson »

I've been trying to attach a few pics, they're in the correct orientation on my desktop, when I attach them to a post in the photography and wildlife thread, they are rotated through 90º

:shrug:

I've tried putting a few space lines between each file and even just uploading one file, still wont have it!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Picture orientation.

Post by Andrew »

Were the photos taken using a phone ?

I've not got to the bottom of it yet but its the exif data embeded in the file, has an "orientation" tag from the phone that the forums file upload sript doesnt interperet and doesnt rotate it accordingly. I think i once solved it by resaving the picture on my pc (without changing the pics quality or anything) sure it saved it right way up and wiped the orientation tag.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Yep! On the phone.

I'll try re-saving it, TA!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Strange! I couldn't save them as they were, got a message saying I didn't have permission?? :shrug:

I cropped them slightly and then they saved OK, you put me on he right track though, cheers Croftus :thumbs:
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

Andrew you explained this one a long time ago to me.

From what I understand if you take a photo on your phone sideways, the phone or tablet recognizes the way you want to view it. If you take the photo from your device to a PC it will need rotating around for it to be the correct way. Which is easily done and saves automatically.
If you use your phone and upload straight to the forum it can be to one side.