Catch report.. As well as or instead of 'Catch of the day'

Got a good idea to improve the forum? Submit it here
Vermillion
Stickleback
Stickleback

Catch report.. As well as or instead of 'Catch of the day'

Post by Vermillion »

I see this has already been suggested but not acted upon and for what my opinion is worth, being a mere private 'n' that, I totally agree.

The catch of the day section seems to encourage the report of a single, notable fish without much detail or content. It doesn't inspire anyone to do a proper report, you know, the weather conditions, the build up to the session, the preparation, rigs, baits, what they cooked for breakfast etc.

I for one would like to read more detailed reports instead of things like 'caught this today' or 'got a pb'.

I have no idea how to build forums but I'm sure this could be an easy fix ?

N.B. I believe I have a very interesting report to get the ball rolling but don't want to post it on catch of the day as it would appear that I'm attention seeking
To enjoy anything worthwhile, there must be some difficulty in obtaining it.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Catch report.. As well as or instead of 'Catch of the day'

Post by alan behenna »

It's individual choice (of course) as to just how much detail any angler might wish to, or be prepared to, include in any particular catch information post.

"Detailed Reports"...........I don't think you'd find too many going on that one, there's a lot of very careful Pike Anglers......and who can blame them......"loose lips sink ships" etc.

Just because it's a good fish, or a few good fish, doesn't mean it's/they are "going up" anyway.

You got it yourself in those last few words..........the last thing most of us want is "attention"

:thumbs:
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Re: Catch report.. As well as or instead of 'Catch of the day'

Post by ChrisWales »

The reason I suggested it was "catch of the day" posts tend to be a pic of a decent fish with a weight and maybe what bait. As a newbie with a lot to learn it's useful to read experienced anglers briefly describing the day ie what tactics were employed and and why, what changes they made, why they targetted the area of the water they did etc. If it went badly, what went wrong, how could chances be improved and so on. Then it's down to me to try and interpret that to my fishing.
As Alan says, I can see why people may not be interested in putting up a "report" type of post though. Is that the reserve of mag articles? Are mag articles really that useful? As a learner, I can read about rigs, baits and stuff but my biggest obstacle seems to be why/when/how when I get out there to try and teach myself.

I've stuck with lure fishing to start with (yes I've learned it's not the best time of year for it :laughs: ) and I find I'm asking myself "what lure, what area, what approach should I take" etc and to be honest I have to rely mainly on luck while I'm trying to build experience. The main reason I signed up here was to try and accelerate my learning as my fishing time is at a premium so a bit of vicarious fishing to pick up tips is always useful :grin: I've gleaned some great info (not just on Piking) from here when following threads like the Tench one and thought a report type section would be handy for peope to post that kind of stuff if willing.

*climbs back into naive noob box*