Photo attachments

Got a good idea to improve the forum? Submit it here
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Photo attachments

Post by davelumb »

Is there a way to make it so attached photos display larger than thumbnails? Other forums give you the option for thumbnail or full size (at forum's size limit). TIA
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Photo attachments

Post by Mike J »

I think it can be done but the cost is a slower load speed for the thread.

Personally I do not wish to be force fed, preferring the expand option or otherwise.

:shrug:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I prefer to see pictures larger - especially in the photo/wildlife section. It wouldn't be so bad if the thumbnail opened in a new window when you clikced it instead of leaving the page.

In the meantime there's this workround when I can be arsed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Am I right in thinking that pictures hosted elsewhere and then embedded via the [IMG] icon display larger, whereas pictures uploaded via the attachments tab display as thumbnails?
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 10:31 -
Am I right in thinking that pictures hosted elsewhere and then embedded via the [IMG] icon display larger, whereas pictures uploaded via the attachments tab display as thumbnails?
That's right, but I think the forum also imposes a size limit adn reduces large pics.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:02 -
That's right, but I think the forum also imposes a size limit adn reduces large pics.
Your 'large' version doesn't seem to link to an external hosting site Dave?. Did you create a URL to your own file and embed that?

(Are we even supposed to know about these things at our age? :clown: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Don't make sense (does it?) not to have a file/photo upload limit? As your aware a forum "digital host" will be charging for a "max capacity" rental on a digital space. Capacity has to be stored "somewhere".........otherwise space/digital allowance would reach total allowed capacity far sooner.

Or am I missing your thought process Dave?

Probably

:scratch:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:16 -
Your 'large' version doesn't seem to link to an external hosting site Dave?. Did you create a URL to your own file and embed that?

All I did is embed the picture that opens when you click on the thumbnail.

Click thumbnail to open in a new window, copy the URL from there, paste between the [img] tags. Sorted. :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:34 -

Click thumbnail to open in a new window, copy the URL from there, paste between the [img] tags. Sorted. :thumbs:
Ah, that explains why both versions are being displayed! :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:50 -

I haven't managed to find a way to remove the thumbnail from the post without it disappearing altogether!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:53 -

I haven't managed to find a way to remove the thumbnail from the post without it disappearing altogether!
Isn't that because the thumbnail is the hosted image, so if you remove that, the pasted link is to something that's no longer there? :shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 15:00 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Dec 21 2020 11:53 -

It is. But I'd like a way to avoid the thumbnail appearing. Not that it matters much.

Isn't that because the thumbnail is the hosted image, so if you remove that, the pasted link is to something that's no longer there? :shrug:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Forum is due an update but is postponed till after the new year. It's not a security update so no need to worry but there are a few things needing addressed that have been bugging me for a while. I'll sort out the images too.

It should really be a popup window (they're called light boxes) when clicked but its stopped working for some reason.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Andrew Croft wrote: Wed Dec 23 2020 23:00 -
Forum is due an update but is postponed till after the new year. It's not a security update so no need to worry but there are a few things needing addressed that have been bugging me for a while. I'll sort out the images too.

It should really be a popup window (they're called light boxes) when clicked but its stopped working for some reason.
:thumbs: :thumbs: