Tools explained.

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Tools explained.

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Apr 21 2019 10:47

zodiac wrote:
In my experience- which is working with wood and screws most days for 25 years- virtually none of that is true. Slot headed screws feck up first. They're difficult to use, especially with power tools. A good quality pozi driver bit and decent quality screws will last for 10s of thousands of screws if used correctly. Hold the drill level and apply even pressure and it should never shear.
I've never ever met a tradesman who uses slotted screws by choice.
you need to do a bit of history checking to see just how much it is true

Slot headed screws are not made for power tool use

good quality pozi drives last for 10's of thousands of screws!!!!! now that isn't true, and I bet just about everyone on here will have a handful of fecked pzi drive bits

this has gone off slant----my original comment was the trouble with slotted screws is people not using the right size SCREWDRIVER---do you agree with that?

like I said pozi screws are more convenient to use especially with power tools---that's why tradesmen no longer use slotted for most of their work

Do you know why are bog screws slotted and not pozi?

zodiac
Chub
Chub

Post by zodiac » Sun Apr 21 2019 11:28

Kev Berry wrote:
zodiac wrote:
In my experience- which is working with wood and screws most days for 25 years- virtually none of that is true. Slot headed screws feck up first. They're difficult to use, especially with power tools. A good quality pozi driver bit and decent quality screws will last for 10s of thousands of screws if used correctly. Hold the drill level and apply even pressure and it should never shear.

good quality pozi drives last for 10's of thousands of screws!!!!! now that isn't true, and I bet just about everyone on here will have a handful of fecked pzi drive bits

this has gone off slant----my original comment was the trouble with slotted screws is people not using the right size SCREWDRIVER---do you agree with that?

like I said pozi screws are more convenient to use especially with power tools---that's why tradesmen no longer use slotted for most of their work

I've broken a bog pan when over tightening with pozi screws so yes!
Kev, I know you like a debate but I'm not spending my holiday weekend discussing the relative merits of various fasteners and fixings. Feel free to carry on without me! :hammer:
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Apr 21 2019 14:41

zodiac wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
zodiac wrote:

I've broken a bog pan when over tightening with pozi screws so yes!
Kev, I know you like a debate but I'm not spending my holiday weekend discussing the relative merits of various fasteners and fixings. Feel free to carry on without me! :hammer:
They slotted because proper bog screws are made of brass (dont rust and ya gonna round off with pozi in brass
Power driver for bog screws? That's another reason why they slotted...so you have to use a screwdriver.

Out carping with the little sod who lives across from my shop. Hes had 4 and I'm blanking...pesky kids :laughs: (so I have lots of time to play on here :wink: )

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Sun Apr 21 2019 14:49

plenty of times if stripped the heed off old philips type screw that wouldnt budge. f****n pain in the a**e.

dremel to the rescue cutting a slot in the heed and usin a flat heeded screwdriver/bit. quicker than drillin the b*****d out. I love a slot...
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Happy Hayes
Chub
Chub

Post by Happy Hayes » Sun Apr 21 2019 18:56

Andrew, am I mistaken
Are you actually agreeing with Kev
Regards
Tom

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Apr 21 2019 19:38

Happy Hayes wrote:
Andrew, am I mistaken
Regards
Tom
he would rather stick pins in his eyes than admit that Tom :wink:

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Sun Apr 21 2019 20:18

Happy Hayes wrote:
Andrew, am I mistaken
Regards
Tom
Dunno.
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you