Fish smoker

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
HARRYW
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Fish smoker

Post by HARRYW »

Just got myself a small smoker, mainly for trout. Instructions says use methylated spirit in the burner. Doesn't this give a fish a taste of spirit or do the wood chips overpower it.? Any ideas?
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Re: Fish smoker

Post by steve a pac »

I smoke meat alot Brisket, ribs, beef rib, chicken, pulled pork and fish I wouldn't use any fuel like that as smoking takes on a lot of the taste/smoke ring from the wood in the first part of smoking and this would taint the meat.
The best way is get your charcoal or brickets lit away from the fire in a chimney lighter until white hot then add them the your smoker. Then add what ever wood you desire
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

:thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Example of the lighter chimney
HARRYW
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by HARRYW »

Looks like you've got some serious action going on there! :thumbs:
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

It's on such a higher level BBQ real BBQ :thumbs:
Learnt alot from pit masters in the US

BBQ isn't frozen burgers or sausages
Smoked meat low and slow is the real thing :thumbs:
Fish if done right is a must :bounce:
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

I've found salmon and trout don't need a lot of smoke a light wood like Apple or pecan is just right or if you like a strong smoke Hickory.
I haven't any pics of fish but here's a Brisket 12 hours smoked at 150F on hickory :thumbs:
markyboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by markyboy »

HARRYW wrote:
Just got myself a small smoker, mainly for trout. Instructions says use methylated spirit in the burner. Doesn't this give a fish a taste of spirit or do the wood chips overpower it.? Any ideas?
Harry, the meths in the burner goes under the box, the chippings go in the box, on top of the chippings goes a mesh tray and the fish goes on the mesh tray and then the lid goes on top to keep the smoke in. So there will be NO bad flavouring of the fish. Try it and enjoy :thumbs:
markyboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by markyboy »

steve a pac wrote:
I smoke meat alot Brisket, ribs, beef rib, chicken, pulled pork and fish I wouldn't use any fuel like that as smoking takes on a lot of the taste/smoke ring from the wood in the first part of smoking and this would taint the meat.
The best way is get your charcoal or brickets lit away from the fire in a chimney lighter until white hot then add them the your smoker. Then add what ever wood you desire
Steve that looks awesome! Which model is the smoker?
I bought myself a large gas bbq a couple of years ago now as we eat bbq a lot through the summer months, it has a smoker lid but i only use it to keep the heat in, ie bake as well as grill, and its superb, But i would like to go down the slow cooked smoked route myself
HARRYW
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by HARRYW »

Thanks Markyboy :thumbs:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

steve a pac wrote:
That chicken has got no head and funny legs :clown:
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

markyboy wrote:
steve a pac wrote:
Steve that looks awesome! Which model is the smoker?
I bought myself a large gas bbq a couple of years ago now as we eat bbq a lot through the summer months, it has a smoker lid but i only use it to keep the heat in, ie bake as well as grill, and its superb, But i would like to go down the slow cooked smoked route myself
Sorry only just seen this, the smoker I've got is the Weber Smoky mountain ( the bullet )
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Now this is a subject close to my heart... :wink:

We have BBQ all year round, my favourite time of year being Halloween for a good old brisket and rib fest with a bit of pulled pork thrown in for good measure.
IMG_0756.jpg
Ive got a Broil King Keg which can take 4 full belly racks of ribs at the same time (48 ribs). I usually cook this plus a full 12lb brisket.
Smoke the brisket overnight (12-14hrs) at around 200 deg f. Then wrap in foil, stick in a cool box and fill with towels and leave to stand for a couple of hours.

The ribs are done 3,2,1 ( 3hrs fat side down, 2hrs cover with foil and finally 1 hr to firm everything up again). The secret is in the rub. :wink:
IMG_0177.jpg
I have also done a 1/4 pig on my gas BBQ for a hog roast :wink:
IMG_2622.jpg
When we BBQ we go LARGE, on average we have 70-100 people round :wink:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:

We have BBQ all year round, my favourite time of year being Halloween for a good old brisket and rib fest with a bit of pulled pork thrown in for good measure.
IMG_0756.jpg
Ive got a Broil King Keg which can take 4 full belly racks of ribs at the same time (48 ribs). I usually cook this plus a full 12lb brisket.
Smoke the brisket overnight (12-14hrs) at around 200 deg f. Then wrap in foil, stick in a cool box and fill with towels and leave to stand for a couple of hours.

The ribs are done 3,2,1 ( 3hrs fat side down, 2hrs cover with foil and finally 1 hr to firm everything up again). The secret is in the rub. :wink:
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg

Yup I'v got to say their finger licking good :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg
Looking good Karl very nice :thumbs:
Proper BBQ
Barry
Roach
Roach

Post by Barry »

HARRYW wrote:
Its fine use the meths
I had the day off at school when we did english. please don't knock me.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

steve a pac wrote:

Proper BBQ
Cheers Steve.. :grin:

Like you say smoking your meats takes it to a whole different level. :thumbs:
IMG_0779 (1).jpg
Looks like you have some good flavour going into your ribs :thumbs:

I soak all my wood chunks in either Jack Daniels or a cheap whisky :wink: . I also like to mix mesquite and pecan chunks for my brisket and apple wood soaked in cider for my ribs and pulled pork. :wink:

Have you tried smoking the full belly of the ribs or do you keep them as a St Loius cut?
IMG_0178.jpg
Do you use a rub for any of your meats or just smoke

Instead of smoking your birds have you tried doing them beer can with Old Bay seasoning... :wink:

These are seasoned with that and stuck on the rotisserie :thumbs:
IMG_0176.jpg
Last edited by Edward.P.A.C on Sun Mar 05 2017 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
steve a pac wrote:

Proper BBQ
Cheers Steve.. :grin:

Like you say smoking your meats takes it to a whole different level. :thumbs:

Looks like you have some good flavour going into your ribs :thumbs:

I soak all my wood chunks in either Jack Daniels or a cheap whisky :wink: . I also like to mix mesquite and pecan chunks for my brisket and apple wood soaked in cider for my ribs and pulled pork. :wink:

Have you tried smoking the full belly of the ribs or do you keep them as a St Loius cut?
IMG_0178.jpg
Do you use a rub for any of your meats or just smoke

Instead of smoking your birds have you tried doing them beer can with Old Bay seasoning... :wink:

These are seasoned with that and stuck on the rotisserie :thumbs:
IMG_0176.jpg
Regarding ribs i always use my own made rub, done baby back 3-2-1 method but later changed it to 2-2-1 wrapping in foil after 2hrs as most meats take on smoke in the first 2 hrs. St Lewis cut the best as there's more meat and fat on them making them very moist when done.

With the Chicken in my pic it was done Beer can style smoked for 4.5-5 hrs, now i brine whole chicken 24 hrs which makes the meat even more juicy.
Your rotisserie chicken look good.

Got smoking whole pork belly sides bone out and use the ribs separately then pulled pork belly is a must try it ( Pig candy as the say in the States it's so soft and tasty)

Brisket i used to do a rub but now just use fresh black pepper and salt.

Have a look at Frankln bbq on Youtube
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

steve a pac wrote:

With the Chicken in my pic it was done Beer can style smoked for 4.5-5 hrs, now i brine whole chicken 24 hrs which makes the meat evn more juicy.
Your rotisserie chicken look good.
:thumbs:

Thats what I do when doing a hog roast. Brine it in scrumpy and a little seasoning for 24hrs, plus inject with a food syringe....awsome.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I'm feckin starving now, looking back at all them posts.... :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Feel like the flaming bisto kid.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
HARRYW
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by HARRYW »

Feeling very inadequate now with my little fish smoker😤
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

HARRYW wrote: Mon Apr 24 2017 19:09 -
Feeling very inadequate now with my little fish smoker😤

Yes me to lol. I was given an Oklahoma Joe vertical smoker (not the usual horizontal cylinder that you see on U-Yube) by an American friend (called Yank I kid you not) some years ago. It was sat in the garage for about 5 years and I got it out and cleaned it up last year. Will have to get motivated to fire it up. By the looks of you guys I have a lot to learn.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Steve which size Weber have you got?

They do three sizes - 37cm, 47cm, 57cm
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

570mm is the one you want. Allows you more flexibility when cooking.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Anyone tried the ProQ smoker?

Looks like the Weber but better, has some nice features like special gromit holes for inserting a temp probe

Going to buy myself one for Christmas

Also fancy a Landmann Tennessee Broiler, just been away on holiday and the lodge I rented had one, nice bit of kit, I like the way you can move the coals up and down
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Ben wrote: Sun Oct 01 2017 22:31 -
Anyone tried the ProQ smoker?

Looks like the Weber but better, has some nice features like special gromit holes for inserting a temp probe

Going to buy myself one for Christmas

Also fancy a Landmann Tennessee Broiler, just been away on holiday and the lodge I rented had one, nice bit of kit, I like the way you can move the coals up and down
Ben, dig a little deeper and go for either the Big Green Egg or the same a mine, The Broil King Keg.

Youve seen (and tasted) the results.... :wink:

If you are only planning on doing smallish BBQ's you can go for a smaller Green Egg. Must better option (IMO!) :thumbs:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Bump