Float paints and lacquer

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Re: Float paints and lacquer

Post by steve a pac »

Cyprio wrote: Fri Aug 28 2020 23:59 -
Thought I would have a change of colour this season.
The ones I made in 2017 have done well but have taken a few knocks on the side of the boat whilst un-hooking.
The blue and red are 70mm eggs for holding up the larger
Baits. :suspect:
The smaller ones coated in metallic black with a Tamiya
Fluorescent top which really ‘pops’ in day light. :roll:
56D8D2C8-B77E-4AD2-97FF-2FD325849182.jpeg
9535A4A0-52E7-4471-BE94-80C5A1406A33.jpeg
E0EEB122-D441-42E8-AC04-F7E273160E40.jpeg
:grin:
Popper nice them well done :thumbs:
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Upgraded my top float for more visibility at long distance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

steve a pac wrote: Sun Aug 30 2020 18:26 -
:thumbs:
Should be able to see those.
They are the same length as my Blue bottom ones.

I thought I would paint the bottoms black on the others as sometimes on those windy days if the float goes on it’s side black does show up well
Especially on those rare days when the suns out. Time will tell but not long now :bounce:
Andy Carpenter
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Cyprio wrote: Sun Aug 30 2020 18:49 -
steve a pac wrote: Sun Aug 30 2020 18:26 -
:thumbs:
Should be able to see those.
They are the same length as my Blue bottom ones.

I thought I would paint the bottoms black on the others as sometimes on those windy days if the float goes on it’s side black does show up well
Especially on those rare days when the suns out. Time will tell but not long now :bounce:

Ahh i see your way of thinking :thumbs:
John Dinnewell
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John Dinnewell »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Jan 03 2017 18:50 -
I make or modify ALL all my own pike floats as I have never been able to find any in the shops that I like.

Inline balls, 40mm polyballs from Hobbycraft

Unloaded Pencils, balsa

Unloaded Wedge pencils , balsa

Inline's turned from blue foam, or refinished sea floats

Drifters are polyeggs from hobby craft with ET or Fox stems.

I use Jaime's lathe for turning the shapes, but you can do it with a drill and sandpaper.

Whatever the material, a thin coat of epoxy before painting means you can use any paint you like without worrying about reaction, and you have a nice flat surface to paint, which will make the colour brighter. The extra coat of epoxy does tend to toughen them up a bit.

I now use enamel spray paints, as the build of colour is quicker and I don't need to flatten between coats.

Trim tape from model shop gives a nice white line (if that's your thing) and saves farting about with masking tape.

I purchased a fly dryer for £15, which means the epoxy finishes in a smooth even surface.

Single coat of epoxy after painting and they last ages.

20161202_190601.jpg

Hello Duncan - your floats look superb - coulds I ask what method you use to bore a hole into polystyrene?
cheers John
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

John Dinnewell wrote: Fri Sep 11 2020 06:38 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Jan 03 2017 18:50 -
I make or modify ALL all my own pike floats as I have never been able to find any in the shops that I like.

Inline balls, 40mm polyballs from Hobbycraft

Unloaded Pencils, balsa

Unloaded Wedge pencils , balsa

Inline's turned from blue foam, or refinished sea floats

Drifters are polyeggs from hobby craft with ET or Fox stems.

I use Jaime's lathe for turning the shapes, but you can do it with a drill and sandpaper.

Whatever the material, a thin coat of epoxy before painting means you can use any paint you like without worrying about reaction, and you have a nice flat surface to paint, which will make the colour brighter. The extra coat of epoxy does tend to toughen them up a bit.

I now use enamel spray paints, as the build of colour is quicker and I don't need to flatten between coats.

Trim tape from model shop gives a nice white line (if that's your thing) and saves farting about with masking tape.

I purchased a fly dryer for £15, which means the epoxy finishes in a smooth even surface.

Single coat of epoxy after painting and they last ages.

20161202_190601.jpg

Hello Duncan - your floats look superb - coulds I ask what method you use to bore a hole into polystyrene?
cheers John
Don’t know what Duncan used but I heat the end of a 2mm metal rod with a lighter and melt my way through.
I start from one end get so far then start from the other end so that I’m near as centred at both ends regardless of any deviation inside. I then epoxy the tubes in place.
Andy Carpenter
John Dinnewell
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John Dinnewell »

Cheers Andy :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Nothing fancy, but I've been making a few pike wagglers over the last few weeks.

Ten out of 150mm x 15mm dowel and these dumpy 100mm x 25mm ones for shallow water.

Worked out less than £1 each. Basic hand-shaped with sandpaper. I use quick dry white primer for the tip base coat. The stain ('winter sky' coloured) is just watered down blue/black ink. The paints are Revell or Humbrol. Top coat is clear Eastwood's Enamel lacquer.

These are awaiting their third finishing coat, although they're quite serviceable with only one coat if you're not fussed about a nice gloss finish.

IMG_20210112_143112.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Tue Jan 12 2021 16:17 -
Nothing fancy, but I've been making a few pike wagglers over the last few weeks.

Ten out of 150mm x 15mm dowel and these dumpy 100mm x 25mm ones for shallow water.

Worked out less than £1 each. Basic hand-shaped with sandpaper. I use quick dry white primer for the tip base coat. The stain ('winter sky' coloured) is just watered down blue/black ink. The paints are Revell or Humbrol. Top coat is clear Eastwood's Enamel lacquer.

These are awaiting their third finishing coat, although they're quite serviceable with only one coat if you're not fussed about a nice gloss finish.

IMG_20210112_143112.jpg
Proper floats. :thumbs:
John Dinnewell
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John Dinnewell »

John Milford wrote: Tue Jan 12 2021 16:17 -

IMG_20210112_143112.jpg
They look fantastic John - great for the lochs :thumbs: