Hardening balsa, this works.

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Hardening balsa, this works.

Post by Mike J »

Wanted a specific design of stick float at the back-end and could get to the shop so modified one I had.
The body was balsa wood and after modding I needed to paint it.
Looking along the shelves I found some wood hardener (the stuff used on rotting wood after treatment).
Dipped the balsa body 3 times and it hardened the wood perfectly, enough to withstand my thumbnail! :thumbs:

Just an idea incase anyone else is looking to toughen up any sort of wood.
Might work on reeds to?
Must give it a try.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Hardening balsa, this works.

Post by tigger996 »

Hope the manufacturers of Polaris floats read this. Ordered six, four arrived broken. Four new ones sent, two arrived broken. Tried to use two and they snapped before the first cast.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Mike J wrote:
Wanted a specific design of stick float at the back-end and could get to the shop so modified one I had.
The body was balsa wood and after modding I needed to paint it.
Looking along the shelves I found some wood hardener (the stuff used on rotting wood after treatment).
Dipped the balsa body 3 times and it hardened the wood perfectly, enough to withstand my thumbnail! :thumbs:

Just an idea incase anyone else is looking to toughen up any sort of wood.
Might work on reeds to?
Must give it a try.
Thanks for the Tip, I have used superglue in the past but its a bit messy :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Duncan
I use super glue on expanded foam, it does a really good job but I found the shape must be correct because its a right b if you want to modify anything after glueing.

With the hardner the shape could be smoothed with a sanding board (the thing wives use for their finger nails :thumbs: ) but anying more is nigh on impossible.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

bannana oil spirit from my modelling days is ok
retired so time to smell the roses.