Baitboat mods

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Baitboat mods

Post by brian harrison »

Been doing some mods to a AT standard baitboat,it's the best boat out there albeit having one flaw...not being able to change the battery.
Seems how I cut the boat open I thought I would upgrade it to digital electronics.I would like to say the Ali tig welding was my own but sadly not.
Just about to glue it back together & hope it doesn't sink.The mods have added slightly over a pound in weight but that said it should be the ultimate pike baitboat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Baitboat mods

Post by brian harrison »

This the new front LED light,it's a DRL off eBay together with LED nav lights at the back.Its pretty god damn bright tbh.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I hope all the electronic's are marine spec Brian, that was the first think I sorted on the Japanese carrier I built.
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Post by brian harrison »

Jason Skilton wrote: Tue Aug 15 2017 08:56 -
I hope all the electronic's are marine spec Brian, that was the first think I sorted on the Japanese carrier I built.
All sourced from Action electronics,they are the boyos for this stuff I believe
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

It looks good and strong that Brian. I opened my microcat up to change the worn charger socket. I was surprised how thin the hull walls were towards the top of the hoppers. Paper-thin, literally. The hulls are made from a vacuum form so the walls always get thinner the further they are thermo-stretched from the original plastic plate. I have not got round to re-sealing mine up yet. It's on my projects list. I'm planning on making a plaster mould from the hull and laying up a GRP hull then binning the original ABS one.

Here's a simple mod I did to stop wrigglers kicking the hopper covers off and jumping out. It's just two strips of black ABS sheet glued across the front and rear of the hoppers. The flex of the covers let's you bend them to fit under. Then the wriggler is held securely.

mod_001.jpg
close_up.jpg
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Post by brian harrison »

I tend to tow wrigglers out tbh Andrew but that does make perfect sense,keeping my microcat for a bit till I am happy with the standard boat.
Today's test didn't go well tbh,checked my connection plugs 3 times before I sealed it up & still managed to plug the reverse & starboard motors the wrong way round......the air was blue....
I do love tinkering with stuff though😎
Should be sealed & ready for a Wednesday evening distance test,dry land hopper test made 400 yds before I thought enough was enough😎
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I was towing them out, but on one water the pike would hit them while being towed - which caused me a bit of panic!
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

what is the best way to reseal them? I need to change the transducer in mine.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I use black sikaflex.
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Post by brian harrison »

Thought this worthy of a revisit…..
After making probably the worlds most unreliable bait boat I have decided rather than sink the kunt
I would give it one more chance.
working in prototype development you would of thought I would of had it nailed by now,sadly not…..
This piece of s hite keeps on giving……In truth it’s been a decent boat & an ongoing project, it’s been shelved for about
3 years due to other stuff
The next mod is going to basically reverse everything I sort to do in the first place
i.e, seal the boat up with a battery inside but lose about 5 lb in weight due to to a lithium batt & losing the alu
Battery hopper.
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1247.jpeg
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I recognise that battery 😂
That Perkins !!! 😂
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Post by brian harrison »

Carlperkins wrote: Sat Aug 26 2023 16:18 -
I recognise that battery 😂
Can’t think why 😂
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

😂
That Perkins !!! 😂
hotburrito
Roach
Roach

Post by hotburrito »

brian harrison wrote: Fri Aug 25 2023 21:36 -
Thought this worthy of a revisit…..
After making probably the worlds most unreliable bait boat I have decided rather than sink the kunt
I would give it one more chance.
working in prototype development you would of thought I would of had it nailed by now,sadly not…..
This piece of s hite keeps on giving……In truth it’s been a decent boat & an ongoing project, it’s been shelved for about
3 years due to other stuff
The next mod is going to basically reverse everything I sort to do in the first place
i.e, seal the boat up with a battery inside but lose about 5 lb in weight due to to a lithium batt & losing the alu
Battery hopper.IMG_1248.jpegIMG_1247.jpeg
:hammer: :laughs:
Will Gallacher