Tools explained.

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Kev Berry

Re: Tools explained.

Post by Kev Berry »

zodiac wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 10:12 -
In my experience- which is working with wood and screws most days for 25 years- virtually none of that is true. Slot headed screws feck up first. They're difficult to use, especially with power tools. A good quality pozi driver bit and decent quality screws will last for 10s of thousands of screws if used correctly. Hold the drill level and apply even pressure and it should never shear.
I've never ever met a tradesman who uses slotted screws by choice.
you need to do a bit of history checking to see just how much it is true

Slot headed screws are not made for power tool use

good quality pozi drives last for 10's of thousands of screws!!!!! now that isn't true, and I bet just about everyone on here will have a handful of fecked pzi drive bits

this has gone off slant----my original comment was the trouble with slotted screws is people not using the right size SCREWDRIVER---do you agree with that?

like I said pozi screws are more convenient to use especially with power tools---that's why tradesmen no longer use slotted for most of their work

Do you know why are bog screws slotted and not pozi?
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 10:47 -
In my experience- which is working with wood and screws most days for 25 years- virtually none of that is true. Slot headed screws feck up first. They're difficult to use, especially with power tools. A good quality pozi driver bit and decent quality screws will last for 10s of thousands of screws if used correctly. Hold the drill level and apply even pressure and it should never shear.

good quality pozi drives last for 10's of thousands of screws!!!!! now that isn't true, and I bet just about everyone on here will have a handful of fecked pzi drive bits

this has gone off slant----my original comment was the trouble with slotted screws is people not using the right size SCREWDRIVER---do you agree with that?

like I said pozi screws are more convenient to use especially with power tools---that's why tradesmen no longer use slotted for most of their work

I've broken a bog pan when over tightening with pozi screws so yes!
Kev, I know you like a debate but I'm not spending my holiday weekend discussing the relative merits of various fasteners and fixings. Feel free to carry on without me! :hammer:
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

zodiac wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 11:28 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 10:47 -

I've broken a bog pan when over tightening with pozi screws so yes!
Kev, I know you like a debate but I'm not spending my holiday weekend discussing the relative merits of various fasteners and fixings. Feel free to carry on without me! :hammer:
They slotted because proper bog screws are made of brass (dont rust and ya gonna round off with pozi in brass
Power driver for bog screws? That's another reason why they slotted...so you have to use a screwdriver.

Out carping with the little sod who lives across from my shop. Hes had 4 and I'm blanking...pesky kids :laughs: (so I have lots of time to play on here :wink: )
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

plenty of times if stripped the heed off old philips type screw that wouldnt budge. f****n pain in the a**e.

dremel to the rescue cutting a slot in the heed and usin a flat heeded screwdriver/bit. quicker than drillin the b*****d out. I love a slot...
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Andrew, am I mistaken
Are you actually agreeing with Kev
Regards
Tom
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 18:56 -
Andrew, am I mistaken
Regards
Tom
he would rather stick pins in his eyes than admit that Tom :wink:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sun Apr 21 2019 18:56 -
Andrew, am I mistaken
Regards
Tom
Dunno.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Best hand tool in my world is a six foot iron drift bar. Point on one end and chisel on tother. No better tool in the Groundworker's armory. Love my bar!
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Jan 31 2020 19:47 -
Best hand tool in my world is a six foot iron drift bar. Point on one end and chisel on tother. No better tool in the Groundworker's armory. Love my bar!
That's a pinch bar to me, usually used to extract kerbs that have been in situ since the romans built roads :thumbs: :wink:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Fri Jan 31 2020 21:23 -
That's a pinch bar to me, usually used to extract kerbs that have been in situ since the romans built roads :thumbs: :wink:
With that bar, the law of leverage and a couple of commons I can turn a skip 360 degrees when the driver turns up with the gate at the wrong end. I can bust out the concrete from a rotted fence post or lever up two hundred weight chunks of concrete from a 150 mm slab of concrete path or oversite or lever an osma pipe into the coupling.

... I reckon I could make a Sunday dinner with a 1.5 ton Kubota and my bar!

(May have started the Brexit celebrations a bit early here in Suffolk. :grin: :grin: :grin:)
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

:thumbs:
Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Jan 31 2020 21:40 -
With that bar, the law of leverage and a couple of commons I can turn a skip 360 degrees when the driver turns up with the gate at the wrong end. I can bust out the concrete from a rotted fence post or lever up two hundred weight chunks of concrete from a 150 mm slab of concrete path or oversite or lever an osma pipe into the coupling.

(May have started the Brexit celebrations a bit early here in Suffolk. :grin: :grin: :grin:)
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I once built a whole estate with one of those bars

(probably been celebrating before you face :drunk: )
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

We’ve an old hexagon bar on the farm that must be 50+ years old and the metal is incredible, I bought a new bar recently and it’s of round steel and although heavier than the ancient hex bar it is not as nice in the hand, and the point didn’t last long ! Throw it in the skip !
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Feb 01 2020 21:35 -

We’ve an old hexagon bar on the farm that must be 50+ years old and the metal is incredible, I bought a new bar recently and it’s of round steel and although heavier than the ancient hex bar it is not as nice in the hand, and the point didn’t last long ! Throw it in the skip !
Your hex bar is probably an old section of drilling bar Steve, I have one as well, also have an old spiral bar and a lovely old BR (British Rail) pinch bar :thumbs: .
Extremely versatile pieces of kit, often called a 'dibble bar 'around these parts, used for dibbling holes for fence posts.

Will.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Feb 01 2020 21:35 -

I had one for twenty five years Steve. It rolled off the truck as I rounded a bend in Cambridge a couple of years back. About 40mm diameter and Six foot six long. As you say a superior tool to the modern one I have. I was broken hearted!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Feb 01 2020 00:18 -

I once built a whole estate with one of those bars

(probably been celebrating before you face :drunk: )
I was asleep before we entered the departure lounge! :red:
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

360 degrees. That would still be facing the same way.......
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bucks Andy wrote: Fri Feb 07 2020 16:44 -

Well done Wilson. I was wondering who would be the first to spot that! :grin:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Feb 08 2020 09:16 -

Ha ha, I did not spot it Chris, no doubt it was a deliberate mistake on your part just to catch us all out :laughs: .

Will.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Will Smith wrote: Sat Feb 08 2020 22:15 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Feb 08 2020 09:16 -

Ha ha, I did not spot it Chris, no doubt it was a deliberate mistake on your part just to catch us all out :laughs: .

Will.
Oh of course Will. :red: :laughs:
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

John Milford wrote: Sat Jan 25 2020 22:34 -
image.jpg
Unless it's a razor sharp Lie nielsen, then its a paint scarper or prybar. :laughs: :laughs: