Quality sockets

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
BigMarty91
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Quality sockets

Post by BigMarty91 »

If you were to buy good quality 1/2 sq drive sockets for work what brand would you go for?
Snap on over hyped and overpriced? At £16-£17 a socket thats steep. S/h market still want silly money.

I've been using my 6pt deep teng impacts which I do like for their intended purpose however I'm after some normal chrome 12pt shallow sockets (10,13,14,15,16,17mm) i want them to last and be good quality with tight tolerances. They'll not get too abused and won't be hanging off them 50nm max

With me only needing 6 sockets a set probably isn't cost effective so probably looking to buy singles.

I look forward to a reply although its not a high traffic part of the forum I'm sure someone will have some wisdom for me
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Re: Quality sockets

Post by Smoothound »

BigMarty91 wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 03:30 -
If you were to buy good quality 1/2 sq drive sockets for work what brand would you go for?
Snap on over hyped and overpriced? At £16-£17 a socket thats steep. S/h market still want silly money.

I've been using my 6pt deep teng impacts which I do like for their intended purpose however I'm after some normal chrome 12pt shallow sockets (10,13,14,15,16,17mm) i want them to last and be good quality with tight tolerances. They'll not get too abused and won't be hanging off them 50nm max

With me only needing 6 sockets a set probably isn't cost effective so probably looking to buy singles.

I look forward to a reply although its not a high traffic part of the forum I'm sure someone will have some wisdom for me
Halfords Professional would be a fair shout but I don't use mine professionally. They've been fine but any issues and they replace them no quibble :thumbs:
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
BigMarty91
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by BigMarty91 »

I've seen a few people mention the no quibble replacement. Definitely worth a look. Cheers
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Have a look at Facom quality brand.
Britool much better now than years ago.
Blue-point worth a look slightly cheaper version from Snap on.

As your torque is only 50nm have you room for a reducer to 3/8th drive
Might show up more options with 12 point sockets?

From my years as a vehicle technician I would disagree about Snap on being over priced and over rated.
For professional use they are worth the money. They have the right tools for every occasion.
From what your asking for they tick the boxes, thinner sidewalls than most, with that they are much stronger than the competition less likely to cause damage to nut bolt or housing, no quibble replacement for life.
Andy Carpenter
BigMarty91
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by BigMarty91 »

Cyprio wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 14:11 -
Have a look at Facom quality brand.
Britool much better now than years ago.
Blue-point worth a look slightly cheaper version from Snap on.

As your torque is only 50nm have you room for a reducer to 3/8th drive
Might show up more options with 12 point sockets?

From my years as a vehicle technician I would disagree about Snap on being over priced and over rated.
For professional use they are worth the money. They have the right tools for every occasion.
From what your asking for they tick the boxes, thinner sidewalls than most, with that they are much stronger than the competition less likely to cause damage to nut bolt or housing, no quibble replacement for life.
Cheers Cyprio, all my combination spanners are Facom and love them.
Most lads I work with are tight as cramp and buy the cheapest tools they can find (but that shows in their work) so haven't had much exposure to snapon as a brand. I fell for the buy cheap buy twice with bergen impact sockets when I first started, so in general I buy the best i can justify. We all use 1/2 from 13 upto 36mm if we forget something we can always borrow between ourselves and the one size ratchet can serve the entire range. I've come across a few more little fiddly jobs lately needing smaller sockets and a thinner side wall would be an advantage. I don't mind paying a premium if they're worth it!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Smoothound wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 11:39 -

Halfords Professional would be a fair shout but I don't use mine professionally. They've been fine but any issues and they replace them no quibble :thumbs:
Had my set for years now, really good and at times used hard on some land rover maintenance and repairs. Never let me down. Fully recommended
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Draper Expert are relatively thin walled if limited access is a concern and they are cheap to buy / replace.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

For occasional home use, facom blue are supposed to be good, facom red are more pro use I believe.

I inherited a socket set from my late uncle. It has metric, imperial af and whitworth sizes. The whitworth come in particularly handy for worn nuts where a normal size slips, the whitworth sometimes can have an interference fit and get you out of gaol.
Don’tTellEmYourName
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Don’tTellEmYourName »

Smoothound wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 11:39 -

Another thumbs up for Halfords Professional range. Mine have had serious abuse I’m ashamed to say, but they man up and get the job done. Only used the replacement service once, the socket was six years old but replaced no questions.
This will come in handy even if I never use it.
BigMarty91
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by BigMarty91 »

Has anyone bought halfords pro recently? After scouting around on the web people seem to say the new stuff isn't as good but absolutely rave about the older stuff. But that seems to be the case now with a lot of tool manufacturers.

I'm half tempted to try King Dick tools as they're still made in England with a good warranty.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Have never had any trouble from Teng tools myself :thumbs:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Never had any problems with Halfords, Draper or Goodyear.
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

I have a set of the old Halfords Advanced. No issues though they only get occasional use. The old ones were 12pt, the new ones 6pt. So I don't tend to give them too much abuse - I have a cheap set of impact sockets for when I'm hanging off the breaker.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Kennedy Professional are fine for home/ occasional use.
Or buy el cheapo Senator and just bin when they are worn.... to be honest they still do the job.
Matty
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Matty »

I’ve got a few different bits from Bahco, quality socket set :thumbs:
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Bahco
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

The only socket I have ever sheared was a Snap-on.

I have a mixture in my tools and have used sockets at work throughout my working life I really like Elora,Gedore, Stahwille and Britool, Britool seem to have got a bit cheap in the last decade though, go German and you will not go wrong.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.