Squezy bottle top chain swingers

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Squezy bottle top chain swingers

Post by John Milford »

Having mocked these up for a laugh a while ago, I thought I'd make them for real.

Apart from the black stainless curb chain, which cost me a total of six quid, everything else was just stuff I had knocking around.

Coming soon to a carp water near me . . . . ! :joker:

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Squezy bottle top chain swingers

Post by davelumb »

Could you get someone to 3D print bottle tops? :smile:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

They look brill John,I can hear the diehards coughing and spluttering as they walk past you :laughs:
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Green one is begging to be painted camo 🀣
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Really cool buddy :thumbs:
brian harrison
Barbel
Barbel

Post by brian harrison »

Very cool , old skool.....
If they had solar written on them you could flog them for Β£200 !!!!
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Nice John, I'll bet they get a few looks. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

ChrisWales wrote: ↑Thu Apr 13 2023 22:18 -
Green one is begging to be painted camo 🀣
But would you see it move ,if you got a bite :laughs:
Regards
Tom
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Write solar on them and sell them for £50 each John🀣
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14 2023 08:13 -
There's probably some nutter out there who would pay Β£50 each for them anyway Si! :pirate: :dizzy:

Of course, I've had to order a pair of red 'tombstone ears' for my Optonic Super XLs off Neil Cash to go with the red one (already got green and yellow. :laughs: )

20230414_114615-COLLAGE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Original Fairy Liquid bobbin indicator.
Made from the days when the green washing up liquid came in round white plastic bottles. Look carefully and the printing is still as good as the day it was produced.

The only indicator I ever use.

Rod is a DLST P2, reel a Certate HD 4000

398EB70A-F9DE-4E33-A8EC-0002CF4052DC.jpeg

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14 2023 11:19 -
There's probably some nutter out there who would pay Β£50 each for them anyway Si! :pirate: :dizzy:

Of course, I've had to order a pair of red 'tombstone ears' for my Optonic Super XLs off Neil Cash to go with the red one (already got green and yellow. :laughs: )

We need a 'beyond help' emoji! :laughs:
Mike J wrote: ↑Sat Apr 15 2023 11:41 -
Made from the days when the green washing up liquid came in round white plastic bottles. Look carefully and the printing is still as good as the day it was produced.

I made some from plastic pill tubs along those lines. They are less prone to spinning and jamming in butt rings than bottle tops IME.

Do yours have a horizontal slot for putting on the line?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Apr 15 2023 12:08 -

I made some from plastic pill tubs along those lines. They are less prone to spinning and jamming in butt rings than bottle tops IME.

Yes see pic. and like you I have also made a few Mk 2s, but the best thing about Fairy tubes is the ping off when you strike, the worst is finding them again after you've released the fish. As you can see I am pretty good at finding them :grin:
AA9FD034-E7D8-4466-8AA6-D3314DC1D422.jpeg

Thinks I wonder when Fairy stopped using the round bottles?

PS never used a bottle top nor had a tube jam.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 10:19 -

Yes see pic. and like you I have also made a few Mk 2s, but the best thing about Fairy tubes is the ping off when you strike, the worst is finding them again after you've released the fish. As you can see I am pretty good at finding them :grin:

Same idea as my pill bottles, with the overlap. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 10:31 -

All mine have the full overlap Dave.
The tube is just cut to length and a single cut up one side and filed clean. To achieve the tighter tube sizes in the pic and the tubes are rolled narrower, tied with string before dropping into hot water for a few mins then quickly cooled under a cold tap.

Whats the betting some Fu@k booking dork puts all this on their how to page or worse it appears in some money grabbing gits ( :hammer: ) magazine article?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 10:53 -

The tube is just cut to length and a single cut up one side and filed clean. To achieve the tighter tube sizes in the pic and the tubes are rolled narrower, tied with string before dropping into hot water for a few mins then quickly cooled under a cold tap.

Whats the betting some Fu@k booking dork puts all this on their how to page or worse it appears in some money grabbing gits ( :hammer: ) magazine article?

I got the original idea from an article in a monthly mag. But that was using solid tubes. I made some of those from something like till roll centres. Can't remember now, but they were a hard plastic. Then I wanted some lighter ones and cut up the hayfever tabled tubs. At first they didn't have the overlap, but after storing them in my tackle box by wrapping them inside each other they closed up and I realised they were better that way. Used them for years on the drains and elsewhere for piking.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 11:02 -

I got the original idea from an article in a monthly mag. But that was using solid tubes. I made some of those from something like till roll centres. Can't remember now, but they were a hard plastic. Then I wanted some lighter ones and cut up the hayfever tabled tubs. At first they didn't have the overlap, but after storing them in my tackle box by wrapping them inside each other they closed up and I realised they were better that way. Used them for years on the drains and elsewhere for piking.

The solid tube might have been an advance on the flexible Fairy, I remember seeing a piker in the '90's using lengths of grey waste pipe that were cut up the side.
Mine were from the early days of NASA when I was a member of a small group of pikers who all used them, but I cant remember where the idea originated. They had a problem in strong winds because they blew all over the place, to solve it we dropped them onto a willow stick pushed into the ground, the stick then evolved into lengths of redundant solid fibre glass rod tips (still got mine) and years later I think someone reinvented them as monkey climbers.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 11:37 -
davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 16 2023 11:02 -

The solid tube might have been an advance on the flexible Fairy, I remember seeing a piker in the '90's using lengths of grey waste pipe that were cut up the side.
Mine were from the early days of NASA when I was a member of a small group of pikers who all used them, but I cant remember where the idea originated. They had a problem in strong winds because they blew all over the place, to solve it we dropped them onto a willow stick pushed into the ground, the stick then evolved into lengths of redundant solid fibre glass rod tips (still got mine) and years later I think someone reinvented them as monkey climbers.

Those were the days - innovating through necessity.
tonyn
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by tonyn »

Remember stumbling along the bank one misty summer morning just as Jim Gibbinson had a take from a Carp. His indicator was a tube with a β€˜V’ cut into the bottom. Fished on a 45 degree angled needle. Idea was it toppled off at top of needle and left line free to run. Around 1975. He missed the take!
Runaway Train
Roach
Roach

Post by Runaway Train »

Bottle top indicators are a bit modern. What's wrong with a threepenny bit and a hubcap
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Runaway Train wrote: ↑Wed Apr 26 2023 19:17 -
Bottle top indicators are a bit modern. What's wrong with a threepenny bit and a hubcap
That's pretty much how I caught my first carp. (Coin balanced on the spool, with the clutch backed-off and an enamelled tin plate underneath).

IMG_20190203_205052.jpg

. . . . . and this is how I caught my last one. :grin:

IMG_20230425_161502_491~2.jpg
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

You have your port and starboard mixed up! I always found the coin on the spool dropped off when there was a gust of wind, so I made some "wind engines" as designed by Jim Gibbinson. They were much more reliable and used with Heron bite alarms of course.
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Gerry Savage was the inventor of the wind engine - picture below from Carp in the Osprey series (1974). Better match with the Hiltons...
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

John Milford wrote: ↑Wed Apr 26 2023 20:44 -
Runaway Train wrote: ↑Wed Apr 26 2023 19:17 -
That's pretty much how I caught my first carp. (Coin balanced on the spool, with the clutch backed-off and an enamelled tin plate underneath).

IMG_20190203_205052.jpg

. . . . . and this is how I caught my last one. :grin:

IMG_20230425_161502_491~2.jpg
Lovely black & white picture,, Surely u can’t be that old John!! :laughs: :madmick: