TABLE TOP COATING

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

TABLE TOP COATING

Post by gus666 »

Guys, I'm about to install a small swing table in my camper van and was wondering what would be the best thing to give it a protective finish?
It's got a fairly thin black (veneer?) surface but I don't have much confidence that it will last a while before getting marked.
I thought about Envirotex, but my mate finished a table with it in his wee summer house (a big shed basically) and it started to go soft in the heat one day last year. So the heat that can build up in the van on a summer's day worries me.
I thought about yacht varnish?
Any other suggestions?
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: TABLE TOP COATING

Post by zodiac »

I would cover it with vinyl, either a wee offcut or cuts of LVT planks.
Waterproof, scratchproof, non-slip, and deadens noise.
But then I have easy access to these, do you know any floor fitters?
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

zodiac wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 21:45 -
Thanks for the suggestion mate, but I like the black finish!
Or do you mean a clear vinyl covering? :scratch:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

gus666 wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 21:54 -
It wasn't what I meant but clear vinyl would work.. or black!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

zodiac wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 22:07 -
gus666 wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 21:54 -
It wasn't what I meant but clear vinyl would work.. or black!
Thanks, I'll look into that!
Paddy Lynch
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Paddy Lynch »

I just refinished our tables (previously shellac) with Osmo Polyx. Really impressed with it, easy to apply, slightly matt so easy to keep, doesn't leave rings from hot cups.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Paddy Lynch wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 23:18 -
I just refinished our tables (previously shellac) with Osmo Polyx. Really impressed with it, easy to apply, slightly matt so easy to keep, doesn't leave rings from hot cups.
Is that the stuff that's called Osmo Polyx Oil, Paddy?
How has it fared in hot sunshine?
Paddy Lynch
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Paddy Lynch »

Yep that's the stuff, although seems far more than an oil in terms of the seal it achieves.

I've only used it a month ago so can't say 1st hand on Sun exposure but online reviews where positive when I checked as my table is in full sun.
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

I would use like a clear Perspex or something similar and fit a chess/draughs board underneath so you can play anytime and no need to get it out it always there
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Paddy Lynch wrote: Thu Jan 04 2024 16:10 -
Yep that's the stuff, although seems far more than an oil in terms of the seal it achieves.

I've only used it a month ago so can't say 1st hand on Sun exposure but online reviews where positive when I checked as my table is in full sun.
Thanks mate, I'll check it out!
:thumbs:
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

whitey79 wrote: Thu Jan 04 2024 21:45 -
I would use like a clear Perspex or something similar and fit a chess/draughs board underneath so you can play anytime and no need to get it out it always there
I thought about something like perspex when I was playing with the idea of making the table top from scratch, but the swing arm unit came with a finished table.
It would be too much hassle to glue on now, but thanks for the suggestion mate!
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

:thumbs:
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I made a meeting table for my office where we lay out big drawings and plans etc. I covered the top plate with matt black "industrial" linoleum. Contact glue on the plate and the back side of the lino, gave it 10 minutes then laid the lino down. Tough as old boots, wipes down easy and is very presentable. Got the lino as a cheap off-cut or end of roll from a place that does flooring for office blocks, shops etc. They can't use small bits, and that's all you need for a table top.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

andrew_nagel wrote: Tue Jan 09 2024 01:43 -
I made a meeting table for my office where we lay out big drawings and plans etc. I covered the top plate with matt black "industrial" linoleum. Contact glue on the plate and the back side of the lino, gave it 10 minutes then laid the lino down. Tough as old boots, wipes down easy and is very presentable. Got the lino as a cheap off-cut or end of roll from a place that does flooring for office blocks, shops etc. They can't use small bits, and that's all you need for a table top.
Thanks Andrew, I'll look into that. I'm assuming the lino was Altro type flooring?
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

gus666 wrote: Thu Jan 11 2024 14:46 -
andrew_nagel wrote: Tue Jan 09 2024 01:43 -
Thanks Andrew, I'll look into that. I'm assuming the lino was Altro type flooring?
It is definitely a flooring lino. I'll pm you a photo that shows the table top surface. I bought some pricey work desks that are designed and batch made to order from a local Scandinavian furniture company. They also have a lino type/matt vinyl covering and it's very good. Had them 15 years now in a working office and still very presentable and no damage to the surfaces.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

What size you after
I just got some altro and will have some off cuts
That Perkins !!! 😂
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Wee bit a Lino ehh
IMG_0427.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DANCES WAE PIKE
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Don't be daft Rab. He means this-
251f6b43bb78fcc9d01e7cd8c20337a0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Jan 18 2024 18:04 -
What size you after
I just got some altro and will have some off cuts
Thanks anyway mate, just decided to use the yacht varnish!
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

No problem
That Perkins !!! 😂