Airbrush?

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Airbrush?

Post by Chris Hammond »

Something I’ve been meaning to purchase for some time but know nothing about. Could anyone point me towards some relevant reading and/or recommend a model please?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Re: Airbrush?

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Chris you can pay anything from £10 for a cheap Chinese one to hundreds what is your budget? what do you intend to use it for because needle size is relevant ? If you intend to use it a lot I would buy a better one, one of the most important aspects is how its made and how easy is it to clean because if you leave paint in it that dries its no fun getting it clean and working again, spares are another thing to consider in the future.

The better makes are Harder & Steenbeck, Iwata, Badger etc

And remember you’ll also need a compressor and a range paints, it can get expensive.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

DaveGreenwood wrote: Thu Feb 22 2024 09:20 -
Chris you can pay anything from £10 for a cheap Chinese one to hundreds what is your budget? what do you intend to use it for because needle size is relevant ? If you intend to use it a lot I would buy a better one, one of the most important aspects is how its made and how easy is it to clean because if you leave paint in it that dries its no fun getting it clean and working again, spares are another thing to consider in the future.

And remember you’ll also need a compressor and a range paints, it can get expensive.
Thanks Dave. I tried finding the pm you sent me on the subject last time I asked but couldn’t.

I want it for a variety of stuff tbh, including lure painting.

I would be looking to buy the whole kit as one if that’s feasible? I.e brush and compressor. I’ve not given a budget any thought but perhaps up to £200. Or would that not be enough for decent kit?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Feb 22 2024 14:20 -
DaveGreenwood wrote: Thu Feb 22 2024 09:20 -

Thanks Dave. I tried finding the pm you sent me on the subject last time I asked but couldn’t.

I would be looking to buy the whole kit as one if that’s feasible? I.e brush and compressor. I’ve not given a budget any thought but perhaps up to £200. Or would that not be enough for decent kit?
Never bought a kit all mine was bought separately so can’t comment, I’m sure you could get a kit for that but don’t know how good it would be.

PM`d you
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

My bit of advice would be to get something decent, Chris. I spent at least ten years using various cheap airbrushes (max. £50 each) and coping with the frustrations that they bring. I wasn't convinced that the extra expense would make that much of a difference, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

The one I use now is the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Cr-Plus. Obviously it sprays like a dream, but the major plus points are that it's so well designed that it's really easy to dismantle and clean (most aren't!) and isn't overly fussy about perfect cleaning either.

You can get away with a cheap compressor, but £200 spent on the brush will enable you to spend more time painting and less time swearing :laughs:

With the H&S you can also quickly and easily change needle/nozzle sizes from 0.15mm for water-thin paints and extreme detail, to 0.6mm for a wide spray pattern. I use 0.4mm for most things, but it's nice to have the option.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Hard ... Range.html
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

For a compressor, you'll be hard pushed to beat one of these for value for money. Link for info - prices vary wildly (I paid about £75 for mine) so shop around for the best price.

https://www.airbrush-fengda.co.uk/en_US ... AS-186/986
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

This is something I'v been toying with for a while.

I'm not interested in painting or making lures. Ok I may touch up the odd lure but thats it.

Just fancy a bit of stencilling and that.

Thanks for the info guys :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Feb 22 2024 15:10 -

My bit of advice would be to get something decent, Chris. I spent at least ten years using various cheap airbrushes (max. £50 each) and coping with the frustrations that they bring. I wasn't convinced that the extra expense would make that much of a difference, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

The one I use now is the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Cr-Plus. Obviously it sprays like a dream, but the major plus points are that it's so well designed that it's really easy to dismantle and clean (most aren't!) and isn't overly fussy about perfect cleaning either.

You can get away with a cheap compressor, but £200 spent on the brush will enable you to spend more time painting and less time swearing :laughs:

With the H&S you can also quickly and easily change needle/nozzle sizes from 0.15mm for water-thin paints and extreme detail, to 0.6mm for a wide spray pattern. I use 0.4mm for most things, but it's nice to have the option.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Hard ... Range.html
Thanks for the advice Steve. :thumbs: