Re Whipping Rod Rings

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Re Whipping Rod Rings

Post by Crackoff »

I have 1 or 2 rings that need re whipping that was sealed with varnish back in the day.

I don't want to buy a full tin of resin.

Could I use clear nail resin?

As I have some left over :laughs:

Cheers guys.

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Re Whipping Rod Rings

Post by davelumb »

How about a small tin of Humbrol varnish from the model shop like we used to use? About ten coats will make a nice job!
Last edited by davelumb on Wed Feb 28 2024 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 28 2024 09:22 -
How about a small tin of Humbrol varnish from teh model shop like we used to use? About ten coats will make a nice job!

:thumbs: :grin:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

How about a small tin of Humbrol varnish from the model shop like we used to use? About ten coats will make a nice job!
I went to a local toy shop last week that used to keep modelling stuff, specifically to buy some Humbrol or Revell paint. Sadly they no longer stock it, nor the balsa dowel I’ve used for float making for years. ☹️
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

The local tackle shop owner taught me the secret to the high gloss finish he finished rod eyes with Grant. Forget using a brush. Just make sure your hands are clean and use a finger tip to apply the varnish. It takes lots and lots of coats but the finish is flawless.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

here you go guys great service and lots of luvrrly fings to buy;By Email
enquiries@hobbies.co.uk

By Phone
01508 549330

By Post
Hobbies Ltd
Units 8B-11, The Raveningham Centre
Beccles Road, Raveningham
Norwich, Norfolk
NR14 6NU
retired so time to smell the roses.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 14:19 -
I went to a local toy shop last week that used to keep modelling stuff, specifically to buy some Humbrol or Revell paint. Sadly they no longer stock it, nor the balsa dowel I’ve used for float making for years. ☹️
If you find yourself in BSE, try Model Junction in Whiting Street. They have a good stock of all that sort of thing, including balsa (not sure if they have dowels, but I'm sure they'd be able to get some in). I get a lot of my airbrush paints for lure making from there.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

My childhood hobby shop is now an eastern European mini-mart.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Hobbycraft stock Humbrol paint and most likely Humbrol varnish.

They also stock balsa but not sure if they have Dowel rods......B&Q might have dowel rods though.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

OLDESOX wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 14:44 -
here you go guys great service and lots of luvrrly fings to buy;By Email
enquiries@hobbies.co.uk

By Phone
01508 549330

By Post
Hobbies Ltd
Units 8B-11, The Raveningham Centre
Beccles Road, Raveningham
Norwich, Norfolk
NR14 6NU
:thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 14:49 -
If you find yourself in BSE, try Model Junction in Whiting Street. They have a good stock of all that sort of thing, including balsa (not sure if they have dowels, but I'm sure they'd be able to get some in). I get a lot of my airbrush paints for lure making from there.
Cheers Steve. Where’s Whiting Street please?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 15:19 -
It’s the very worst thing about getting older. I absolutely hate change! Virtually every little patch of wilderness we played around on as kids has now been covered with featureless, boring housing estates.😞
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:25 -
It’s the very worst thing about getting older. I absolutely hate change! Virtually every little patch of wilderness we played around on as kids has now been covered with featureless, boring housing estates.😞
My 'worst thing about getting older' is my knees! :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:24 -
It's the road that leads off the Buttermarket (southern end), to the right after you pass what is now Wetherspoons, heading towards Angel Hill :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:41 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:24 -
It's the road that leads off the Buttermarket (southern end), to the right after you pass what is now Wetherspoons, heading towards Angel Hill :thumbs:
Angel Hill, that’s where the buses pick up? At the end of the road heading down to the Abbey Gardens from the market square?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:34 -
Think yourself lucky those monkeys have taken the strain for you down the years. My knees are fecked. My back is ruined. My wrists are destroyed and my hips are starting to play up.

Listen kids. Don’t get involved with the building game.😉
…they pay good money for a reason! 😔
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 18:38 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 17:34 -
Think yourself lucky those monkeys have taken the strain for you down the years. My knees are fecked. My back is ruined. My wrists are destroyed and my hips are starting to play up.

Listen kids. Don’t get involved with the building game.😉
…they pay good money for a reason! 😔
:sad:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

The village I'm from has changed big style, Farm yards are now plush houses, orchard's that were prime scrumping places, gone all leveled for houses. Ok I'm too old to go scrumping now and it's a long way to go to France or South Africa to scrump apples......let's face it that's where most of our apples are grown now.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 18:33 -
Angel Hill, that’s where the buses pick up? At the end of the road heading down to the Abbey Gardens from the market square?
That's it :thumbs:
hotburrito
Roach
Roach

Post by hotburrito »

Crackoff wrote: Wed Feb 28 2024 01:16 -
I have 1 or 2 rings that need re whipping that was sealed with varnish back in the day.

I don't want to buy a full tin of resin.

Could I use clear nail resin?

As I have some left over :laughs:

Cheers guys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142315862045 ... BM1LGkxMBj
Will Gallacher
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 14:24 -
The local tackle shop owner taught me the secret to the high gloss finish he finished rod eyes with Grant. Forget using a brush. Just make sure your hands are clean and use a finger tip to apply the varnish. It takes lots and lots of coats but the finish is flawless.
make my rods that way and still have ones 50yrs later[ in my oldies rack :wink: ]
retired so time to smell the roses.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

OLDESOX wrote: Sun Mar 03 2024 15:03 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Feb 29 2024 14:24 -
make my rods that way and still have ones 50yrs later[ in my oldies rack :wink: ]
You and me both OS.🙂
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

martin(rockape) wrote: Fri Mar 01 2024 21:14 -
The village I'm from has changed big style, Farm yards are now plush houses, orchard's that were prime scrumping places, gone all leveled for houses. Ok I'm too old to go scrumping now and it's a long way to go to France or South Africa to scrump apples......let's face it that's where most of our apples are grown now.

Regards

Martin
It’s terrible eh Martin?😞
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbs:

Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now